PC99 keyboards?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Confused in Los Angeles, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Anybody know whether a "PC99 compatible" keyboard will operate on an
    old machine with a AT DIN keyboard interface (one of those old 80486
    ISA/VLB 100 MHz DX/4 motherboards)?

    I currently use a Fujitsu FKB8725-401 keyboard on my 486 (along with
    a DIN-to-PS/2 mini-DIN adapter). It's probably the finest keyboard
    I've ever owned. Quiet as a cat burglar, very clean (devoid of logos
    and dicky multimedia keys), and extremely comfortable (all the keys
    have a nice, rubbery, poppy feel). It's here:

    http://www.fcai.fujitsu.com/pdf/fkb8725.pdf

    But said keyboard is getting a little worn down, and I want to replace
    it with Fujitsu's modern version, the FKB8729-601:

    http://www.fcai.fujitsu.com/pdf/fkb8729.pdf

    But according to these PDF files, there's one fundamental difference:

    FKB8725-401:

    Interface Serial transmission (clock synchronous type)
    AT and PS/2 compatible

    FKB8729-601:

    Interface Serial transmission (clock synchronous type)
    PC99 compatible

    Anyone know what this means ("PC99 compatible" instead of simply
    "AT and PS/2 compatible")? PC99 only rings a bell with respect
    to motherboards, and Google didn't help much in the category of
    how it relates to keyboards.

    Thanks in advance.

    Confused in Los Angeles, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Confused in Los Angeles

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Confused in Los Angeles" <> wrote in news:6BnZc.273$Vl5.117
    @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > Anybody know whether a "PC99 compatible" keyboard will operate on an
    > old machine with a AT DIN keyboard interface (one of those old 80486
    > ISA/VLB 100 MHz DX/4 motherboards)?
    >
    > I currently use a Fujitsu FKB8725-401 keyboard on my 486 (along with
    > a DIN-to-PS/2 mini-DIN adapter). It's probably the finest keyboard
    > I've ever owned. Quiet as a cat burglar, very clean (devoid of logos
    > and dicky multimedia keys), and extremely comfortable (all the keys
    > have a nice, rubbery, poppy feel). It's here:
    >
    > http://www.fcai.fujitsu.com/pdf/fkb8725.pdf
    >
    > But said keyboard is getting a little worn down, and I want to replace
    > it with Fujitsu's modern version, the FKB8729-601:
    >
    > http://www.fcai.fujitsu.com/pdf/fkb8729.pdf
    >
    > But according to these PDF files, there's one fundamental difference:
    >
    > FKB8725-401:
    >
    > Interface Serial transmission (clock synchronous type)
    > AT and PS/2 compatible
    >
    > FKB8729-601:
    >
    > Interface Serial transmission (clock synchronous type)
    > PC99 compatible
    >
    > Anyone know what this means ("PC99 compatible" instead of simply
    > "AT and PS/2 compatible")? PC99 only rings a bell with respect
    > to motherboards, and Google didn't help much in the category of
    > how it relates to keyboards.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    As far as I know a PC99 keyboard has a normal PS/2 connector, but as an
    extra the connector has to be purple.

    Ingeborg, Sep 2, 2004