PC worth estimates please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Mark wrote:
    > Hi all, I have a second hand computer that I am thinking of getting rid of:
    > Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz
    > 750 MB RAM
    > 20 Gig HD
    > 17 inch CRT monitor
    > CDRW drive
    > DVD drive
    > Mouse and Keyboard
    > 56 Kbp Modem
    > 100 Mbps Network connection
    > Onboard Soundcard

    > What should I put on the above machine as a price?

    well you can get a similarly spec'd machine for ~$950 new, albeit with
    less Ram, more Hdd, and XP-home, so I'd be inclined to say that $950
    would be on the steep side of what you'd get.

    probably somewhere near the $600 mark is all I would pay for it if I was
    in the market... but then again, I get stuff fairly cheap normally, so I
    may be being too harsh.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 23, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 23, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all, I have a second hand computer that I am thinking of getting
    >> rid of:
    >> Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz
    >> 750 MB RAM
    >> 20 Gig HD
    >> 17 inch CRT monitor
    >> CDRW drive
    >> DVD drive
    >> Mouse and Keyboard
    >> 56 Kbp Modem
    >> 100 Mbps Network connection
    >> Onboard Soundcard

    >> What should I put on the above machine as a price?

    > well you can get a similarly spec'd machine for ~$950 new, albeit with
    > less Ram, more Hdd, and XP-home, so I'd be inclined to say that $950
    > would be on the steep side of what you'd get.
    >
    > probably somewhere near the $600 mark is all I would pay for it if I was
    > in the market... but then again, I get stuff fairly cheap normally, so I
    > may be being too harsh.

    usually halving what you paid new for it, + or - a bit is usually.
    being 1.6Ghz, it'd probably be the first generation P4, and Im guessing
    that it has SDram, or maybe RD-ram not DDR, which will all make it less
    attractive to the enthusiests, which I would think is about the only
    market for a second hand machine(with new ones being $1000 at "the
    warewhare".

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 23, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 23, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mark Guest

    Hi all, I have a second hand computer that I am thinking of getting rid of:

    Specs are:

    Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz
    750 MB RAM
    20 Gig HD
    17 inch CRT monitor
    CDRW drive
    DVD drive
    Mouse and Keyboard
    56 Kbp Modem
    100 Mbps Network connection
    Onboard Soundcard

    No software (Would look at including Linux based OS but not prepared to
    shell out for XP/ 2000)

    What should I put on the above machine as a price?

    Thanks in advance
    Mark

    Mark, Dec 23, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    >> Hi all, I have a second hand computer that I am thinking of getting
    >> rid of: Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz
    >> 750 MB RAM
    >> 20 Gig HD
    >> 17 inch CRT monitor
    >> CDRW drive
    >> DVD drive
    >> Mouse and Keyboard
    >> 56 Kbp Modem
    >> 100 Mbps Network connection
    >> Onboard Soundcard

    >> What should I put on the above machine as a price?

    > well you can get a similarly spec'd machine for ~$950 new, albeit with
    > less Ram, more Hdd, and XP-home, so I'd be inclined to say that $950
    > would be on the steep side of what you'd get.
    >
    > probably somewhere near the $600 mark is all I would pay for it if I
    > was in the market... but then again, I get stuff fairly cheap
    > normally, so I may be being too harsh.

    I agree. A lot of RAM, maybe pull 256MB or even 512MB and sell seperately
    and sell the machine for ~$600.

    Those old P4 1.6's are slower than my 1.4Ghz Tualatin Celeron that I was
    given. (Very good friend though).
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 23, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Dec 23, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mark Guest

    Thanks for you help people :)
    Cheers
    Mark

    Mark, Dec 24, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mark Guest

    Thanks for you help people :)
    Cheers
    Mark

    Mark, Dec 24, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:21:34 +1000, "Mark" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all, I have a second hand computer that I am thinking of getting rid of:
    >
    >Specs are:
    >
    >Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz
    >750 MB RAM
    >20 Gig HD
    >17 inch CRT monitor
    >CDRW drive
    >DVD drive
    >Mouse and Keyboard
    >56 Kbp Modem
    >100 Mbps Network connection
    >Onboard Soundcard
    >
    >No software (Would look at including Linux based OS but not prepared to
    >shell out for XP/ 2000)
    >
    >What should I put on the above machine as a price?

    $20. I'll send you my address.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html
    Enkidu, Dec 24, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Enkidu, Dec 24, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >nice! http://www.dave.net.nz/images/link.jpg

    "Incoming Totals... Last Reboot 8160.4Mb, This Month 38.24Gb

    Outgoing Totals... Last Reboot 419.9Mb, This Month 28.82Gb."

    Which suggests you need to reboot between about 4 and 7 times a month.

    Not bad for Windows, I suppose. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 24, 2004
  13. In article <>,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 24, 2004