    up and then like 1 min later the PC turned off and now it wont even
    turn on again............ can it be the mobo or the PSU? help please
    thank you 4 ur help!

    VEGA51, Apr 6, 2007

  2. VEGA51

    MadMIke42 Guest

    Start with the easy stuff.

    If you have another PSU, change it and try again, sometimes the PSU can
    power up a pc but as its gone faulty will not supply enough power.

    Then remove all cables (HDD CDROM etc) any USB devices
    so you just have the bear minimum to boot with, see if you get
    the BIOS boot up, if you do, plug things in one by one
    until it stops again.

    Mike.

    MadMIke42, Apr 6, 2007

  3. VEGA51

    VEGA51 Guest

    On Apr 6, 6:42 am, "MadMIke42" <> wrote:
    > Start with the easy stuff.
    >
    > If you have another PSU, change it and try again, sometimes the PSU can
    > power up a pc but as its gone faulty will not supply enough power.
    >
    > Then remove all cables (HDD CDROM etc) any USB devices
    > so you just have the bear minimum to boot with, see if you get
    > the BIOS boot up, if you do, plug things in one by one
    > until it stops again.
    >
    > Mike.
    >
    > "VEGA51" <> wrote in message

    > > Ok here is one 4 u.............
    > > my pc was working fine and then i restarted my pc and when it turned
    > > on it would not even go pass POST i looked at the led to see and the
    > > green light was not even blinking....... the drives would turn on but
    > > the cd roms would not even eject.

    > > i thought maybe it was the cable to the hdd and cdroms that could b
    > > the prob. but i swapped them and still nothing.......... the cpu fan
    > > was on and no beeps nothing.

    > > then yesterday i turned it on and then it was on for a bit........ i
    > > tried to eject 2 of my cd rom and it open like a sec and closed back
    > > up and then like 1 min later the PC turned off and now it wont even
    > > turn on again............ can it be the mobo or the PSU? help please
    > > thank you 4 ur help!- Hide quoted text -

    OK GREAT THANK U I WILL TRY THAT

    VEGA51, Apr 6, 2007
  4. VEGA51

    VEGA51 Guest

    On Apr 6, 9:10 am, "VEGA51" <> wrote:
    > On Apr 6, 6:42 am, "MadMIke42" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Start with the easy stuff.

    > > If you have another PSU, change it and try again, sometimes the PSU can
    > > power up a pc but as its gone faulty will not supply enough power.

    > > Then remove all cables (HDD CDROM etc) any USB devices
    > > so you just have the bear minimum to boot with, see if you get
    > > the BIOS boot up, if you do, plug things in one by one
    > > until it stops again.

    > > Mike.

    > > "VEGA51" <> wrote in message

    > > > Ok here is one 4 u.............
    > > > my pc was working fine and then i restarted my pc and when it turned
    > > > on it would not even go pass POST i looked at the led to see and the
    > > > green light was not even blinking....... the drives would turn on but
    > > > the cd roms would not even eject.

    > > > i thought maybe it was the cable to the hdd and cdroms that could b
    > > > the prob. but i swapped them and still nothing.......... the cpu fan
    > > > was on and no beeps nothing.

    > > > then yesterday i turned it on and then it was on for a bit........ i
    > > > tried to eject 2 of my cd rom and it open like a sec and closed back
    > > > up and then like 1 min later the PC turned off and now it wont even
    > > > turn on again............ can it be the mobo or the PSU? help please
    > > > thank you 4 ur help!- Hide quoted text -

    > OK GREAT THANK U I WILL TRY THAT- Hide quoted text -

    OK SO I TRIED CHANGING PSU BUT NOT SURE ABOUT SOMETHING HERE IS WHAT
    HAPPENED:

    i only had at that point with me a psu that was max 250 of power but
    the 1 i had on the pc that wont turn in is 300 max. so i swapped them
    and the psu turned on and so did the fan for the cpu but no action
    after that.......... all the drives unpluged i didnt even get a post
    nothing just a blank screen........ could it be teh cpu or the whole
    thing..........mobo and cpu? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

    VEGA51, Apr 9, 2007
  5. VEGA51

    Guest

    "VEGA51" <> wrote:

    >OK SO I TRIED CHANGING PSU BUT NOT SURE ABOUT SOMETHING HERE IS WHAT
    >HAPPENED:
    >
    >i only had at that point with me a psu that was max 250 of power but
    >the 1 i had on the pc that wont turn in is 300 max. so i swapped them
    >and the psu turned on and so did the fan for the cpu but no action
    >after that.......... all the drives unpluged i didnt even get a post
    >nothing just a blank screen........ could it be teh cpu or the whole
    >thing..........mobo and cpu? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

    No help, but remove your RAM, then reinsert it, hanging around here,
    I've watched many machines come to life by doing just that.

    Also make sure you have a PC speaker connected to the Motherboard; so
    you can hear any beeps - it can help you out a lot.
    http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

    --
    http://youneed2see.com/web/137/StumbleUpon_Sundays_(Pictures)

    , Apr 9, 2007
  6. VEGA51

    VEGA51 Guest

    On Apr 9, 11:45 am, wrote:
    > "VEGA51" <> wrote:
    > >OK SO I TRIED CHANGING PSU BUT NOT SURE ABOUT SOMETHING HERE IS WHAT
    > >HAPPENED:

    > >i only had at that point with me a psu that was max 250 of power but
    > >the 1 i had on the pc that wont turn in is 300 max. so i swapped them
    > >and the psu turned on and so did the fan for the cpu but no action
    > >after that.......... all the drives unpluged i didnt even get a post
    > >nothing just a blank screen........ could it be teh cpu or the whole
    > >thing..........mobo and cpu? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

    > No help, but remove your RAM, then reinsert it, hanging around here,
    > I've watched many machines come to life by doing just that.
    >
    > Also make sure you have a PC speaker connected to the Motherboard; so
    > you can hear any beeps - it can help you out a lot.http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
    >
    > --http://youneed2see.com/web/137/StumbleUpon_Sundays_(Pictures

    OK I FIXED IT THANK U ALL FOR THE HELP I CHANGED THE PSU AND IT
    WORKED...............WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

    VEGA51, Apr 10, 2007
  7. VEGA51

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 05:41:46 -0700, VEGA51 wrote:

    > OK I FIXED IT THANK U ALL FOR THE HELP I CHANGED THE PSU AND IT
    > WORKED...............WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

    Great - and you did it without having to use a Multi-Meter :)

    *** WARNING - this links contains foul/pornographic content of an
    website ***
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/leythos.htm
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/bughunter.htm

    Leythos, Apr 10, 2007
  8. VEGA51

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:54:54 -0500, Leythos wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 05:41:46 -0700, VEGA51 wrote:
    >>
    >> OK I FIXED IT THANK U ALL FOR THE HELP I CHANGED THE PSU AND IT
    >> WORKED...............WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

    > Great - and you did it without having to use a Multi-Meter :)

    LOL Wonder why he's so fucking anal about multimeters.

    Or autistic or obsessive-compulsive.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Apr 11, 2007
  9. VEGA51

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:54:54 -0500, Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 05:41:46 -0700, VEGA51 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> OK I FIXED IT THANK U ALL FOR THE HELP I CHANGED THE PSU AND IT
    >>> WORKED...............WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

    >> Great - and you did it without having to use a Multi-Meter :)
    >>

    > LOL Wonder why he's so fucking anal about multimeters.
    >
    > Or autistic or obsessive-compulsive.

    Well, heck! I have at least 4 or 5 multimeters myself. But I don't grab one
    everytime a PSU farts.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 11, 2007
  10. VEGA51

    Leythos Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:19:21 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:54:54 -0500, Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 05:41:46 -0700, VEGA51 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> OK I FIXED IT THANK U ALL FOR THE HELP I CHANGED THE PSU AND IT
    >>> WORKED...............WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

    >> Great - and you did it without having to use a Multi-Meter :)
    >>

    > LOL Wonder why he's so fucking anal about multimeters.
    >
    > Or autistic or obsessive-compulsive.

    It has nothing to do with multimeters, it has to do with w_tom searching
    usenet, all groups, for the word POWER and then telling everyone that they
    need a multimeter in order to fix their PC. 99% of the time it's something
    very simple, quick to diagnose, and requires no tools once the case is
    open. While I multimeter might benefit those that want to play or don't
    care about getting back online quickly, it isn't needed 99% of the time,
    and it's quicker without it 99% of the time.

    Leythos, Apr 11, 2007
  11. VEGA51

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:51:24 -0500, Leythos wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:19:21 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    >>> Great - and you did it without having to use a Multi-Meter :)
    >>>

    >> LOL Wonder why he's so fucking anal about multimeters.
    >>
    >> Or autistic or obsessive-compulsive.

    > It has nothing to do with multimeters, it has to do with w_tom searching
    > usenet, all groups, for the word POWER and then telling everyone that they
    > need a multimeter in order to fix their PC. 99% of the time it's something
    > very simple, quick to diagnose, and requires no tools once the case is
    > open. While I multimeter might benefit those that want to play or don't
    > care about getting back online quickly, it isn't needed 99% of the time,
    > and it's quicker without it 99% of the time.

    Some people might not have the cash to buy a PSU to swap and then eat if
    the PSU isn't at fault. I see no harm in using an mm to make a diagnosis.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 11, 2007
  12. VEGA51

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:51:24 -0500, Leythos wrote:

    >>> LOL Wonder why he's so fucking anal about multimeters.
    >>>
    >>> Or autistic or obsessive-compulsive.

    >> It has nothing to do with multimeters, it has to do with w_tom searching
    >> usenet, all groups, for the word POWER and then telling everyone that
    >> they
    >> need a multimeter in order to fix their PC. 99% of the time it's
    >> something
    >> very simple, quick to diagnose, and requires no tools once the case is
    >> open. While I multimeter might benefit those that want to play or don't
    >> care about getting back online quickly, it isn't needed 99% of the time,
    >> and it's quicker without it 99% of the time.

    > Some people might not have the cash to buy a PSU to swap and then eat if
    > the PSU isn't at fault. I see no harm in using an mm to make a diagnosis.

    True - if the person already has one. If they have to buy one, the money is
    better spent on a new PSU <g>

    WhzzKdd, Apr 11, 2007
  13. VEGA51

    Leythos Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:04:09 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Some people might not have the cash to buy a PSU to swap and then eat if
    > the PSU isn't at fault. I see no harm in using an mm to make a diagnosis.

    If you've got the money for a Multimeter and time to figure out how to use
    it, well, you've got the money for a PSU, and it can always be returned if
    not needed.

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2007
  14. VEGA51

    Leythos Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:19:30 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> It has nothing to do with multimeters, it has to do with w_tom searching
    >>> usenet, all groups, for the word POWER and then telling everyone that
    >>> they
    >>> need a multimeter in order to fix their PC. 99% of the time it's
    >>> something
    >>> very simple, quick to diagnose, and requires no tools once the case is
    >>> open. While I multimeter might benefit those that want to play or don't
    >>> care about getting back online quickly, it isn't needed 99% of the time,
    >>> and it's quicker without it 99% of the time.

    >> Some people might not have the cash to buy a PSU to swap and then eat if
    >> the PSU isn't at fault. I see no harm in using an mm to make a diagnosis.
    >>

    > True - if the person already has one. If they have to buy one, the money is
    > better spent on a new PSU <g>

    With following of the basic diagnostic steps one can determine, about 99%
    of the time, what is wrong before any parts are bought/swapped, and you
    can be about 99% sure without any meter at all.

    What you won't see is w_tom telling people what those steps are, he needs
    to feel important and "better" than those he interacts with - it's the
    only way he seems to feel good.

    He's never posted the link to the $50 Whole House protector, never
    explained how devices connected to UPS's are protected while the same
    devices not protected are damaged, never explained how to diagnose a PC
    problem without a meter (and a LOT needs checked before you even think
    about using a meter).....

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2007
  15. VEGA51

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:19:30 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Some people might not have the cash to buy a PSU to swap and then eat if
    >>> the PSU isn't at fault. I see no harm in using an mm to make a
    >>> diagnosis.
    >>>

    >> True - if the person already has one. If they have to buy one, the money
    >> is
    >> better spent on a new PSU <g>

    > With following of the basic diagnostic steps one can determine, about 99%
    > of the time, what is wrong before any parts are bought/swapped, and you
    > can be about 99% sure without any meter at all.
    >
    > What you won't see is w_tom telling people what those steps are, he needs
    > to feel important and "better" than those he interacts with - it's the
    > only way he seems to feel good.
    >
    > He's never posted the link to the $50 Whole House protector, never
    > explained how devices connected to UPS's are protected while the same
    > devices not protected are damaged, never explained how to diagnose a PC
    > problem without a meter (and a LOT needs checked before you even think
    > about using a meter).....

    Yeah - I read a few of his posts early on, but now they go un-noticed.

    Most people not trained to work with live electronic circuits are likely to
    fry the system (or themselves!) when poking about with a multimeter. The
    probes on my best meter are insulated down to about 1/8" from the end, but
    most of the cheapies (and many good meters) have over an inch of exposed
    metal just waiting to short out to something nearby. I wouldn't recommend a
    novice use a band saw without training, much less even the basic electronics
    tools.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 12, 2007
  16. VEGA51

    Leythos Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:27:58 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > Most people not trained to work with live electronic circuits are likely to
    > fry the system (or themselves!) when poking about with a multimeter. The
    > probes on my best meter are insulated down to about 1/8" from the end, but
    > most of the cheapies (and many good meters) have over an inch of exposed
    > metal just waiting to short out to something nearby. I wouldn't recommend a
    > novice use a band saw without training, much less even the basic electronics
    > tools.

    LOL, yep, I always add heat-shrink to my probes, to my screw-drivers, to
    anything that has exposed metal :)

    What's funny is when people use an autoranging meter and the signal is in
    the MV range and they think it's in the V range and figure that 50 means
    50v instead of 50mv :)

    If you ever look into a computer repair place, very few of them use a
    multimeter, they diagnost the problem the quick, fast, proper way, with
    little swapping of parts. About the only part that gets swapped any more
    is the PSU - the rest you can just disconnect to see if they are shorted.

    Oh, and in the last 30 years I've had a total of 1 power button that was
    defective, but it was an easy catch - you could not press it :)

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2007
  17. VEGA51

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:27:58 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>
    >> Most people not trained to work with live electronic circuits are likely
    >> fry the system (or themselves!) when poking about with a multimeter. The
    >> probes on my best meter are insulated down to about 1/8" from the end,
    >> but
    >> most of the cheapies (and many good meters) have over an inch of exposed
    >> metal just waiting to short out to something nearby. I wouldn't recommend
    >> novice use a band saw without training, much less even the basic
    >> electronics
    >> tools.

    > LOL, yep, I always add heat-shrink to my probes, to my screw-drivers, to
    > anything that has exposed metal :)

    Yeah - I should probably do that to my screwdrivers. I've been lucky so far.
    But I've had lot's of practice.

    > What's funny is when people use an autoranging meter and the signal is in
    > the MV range and they think it's in the V range and figure that 50 means
    > 50v instead of 50mv :)
    >
    > If you ever look into a computer repair place, very few of them use a
    > multimeter, they diagnost the problem the quick, fast, proper way, with
    > little swapping of parts. About the only part that gets swapped any more
    > is the PSU - the rest you can just disconnect to see if they are shorted.
    >
    > Oh, and in the last 30 years I've had a total of 1 power button that was
    > defective, but it was an easy catch - you could not press it :)

    Exactly. Since the cost of repairing a PSU (or any other PC component) at an
    hourly rate far exceeds the cost of popping a new one in the box, I've had
    little use for testing them. I always keep a spare PSU around for swapping
    into dead or erratic systems. Other than that, it's usually pretty obvious
    if a video adapter or NIC or whatever isn't working. Toss 'em and move on.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 12, 2007
  18. VEGA51

    Leythos Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:49:33 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:27:58 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Most people not trained to work with live electronic circuits are likely
    >>> fry the system (or themselves!) when poking about with a multimeter. The
    >>> probes on my best meter are insulated down to about 1/8" from the end,
    >>> but
    >>> most of the cheapies (and many good meters) have over an inch of exposed
    >>> metal just waiting to short out to something nearby. I wouldn't recommend
    >>> novice use a band saw without training, much less even the basic
    >>> electronics
    >>> tools.

    >> LOL, yep, I always add heat-shrink to my probes, to my screw-drivers, to
    >> anything that has exposed metal

    > Yeah - I should probably do that to my screwdrivers. I've been lucky so far.
    > But I've had lot's of practice.

    When I was a lot younger I managed to touch a long screw driver across a
    2v battery that could supply about 400A, it put a serious dent in the
    screw driver.

    I've also seen what happens when the screw driver in the back pocket falls
    out when working in a HV (14K) cabinet :) (no, it wasn't me).

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2007
  19. VEGA51

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:49:33 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "Leythos" <> wrote in message

    >>> LOL, yep, I always add heat-shrink to my probes, to my screw-drivers, to
    >>> anything that has exposed metal

    >> Yeah - I should probably do that to my screwdrivers. I've been lucky so
    >> far.
    >> But I've had lot's of practice.

    > When I was a lot younger I managed to touch a long screw driver across a
    > 2v battery that could supply about 400A, it put a serious dent in the
    > screw driver.
    >
    > I've also seen what happens when the screw driver in the back pocket falls
    > out when working in a HV (14K) cabinet :) (no, it wasn't me).

    Damn! That could REALLY hurt someone!

    Sure, I've shorted out a few things in my time. I learned my lesson about
    covering test leads when working on a microwave oven. Following the
    schematic, tracing the voltages, I shorted myself out to the capacitors and
    dumped the whole load into me. Monster hurt. I've never worked on a
    microwave again <g>

    WhzzKdd, Apr 12, 2007
  20. VEGA51

    Leythos Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:48:45 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:49:33 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Leythos" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah - I should probably do that to my screwdrivers. I've been lucky so
    >>> far.
    >>> But I've had lot's of practice.

    >> When I was a lot younger I managed to touch a long screw driver across a
    >> 2v battery that could supply about 400A, it put a serious dent in the
    >> screw driver.
    >>
    >> I've also seen what happens when the screw driver in the back pocket falls
    >> out when working in a HV (14K) cabinet :) (no, it wasn't me).
    >>

    > Damn! That could REALLY hurt someone!
    >
    > Sure, I've shorted out a few things in my time. I learned my lesson about
    > covering test leads when working on a microwave oven. Following the
    > schematic, tracing the voltages, I shorted myself out to the capacitors and
    > dumped the whole load into me. Monster hurt. I've never worked on a
    > microwave again <g>

    I did that when I was a kid, a 1KV transformer that could support a 500ma
    draw, that was the first and only time I've ever been tossed, and that
    transformer still sits in the fruit cellar in my parents home to this day
    - never gonna touch that again :)

    Leythos, Apr 12, 2007