PC won't turn on - SOS!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by george ladet, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. george ladet

    george ladet Guest

    Hey Guys,

    Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.

    This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!

    The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
    motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
    putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.

    When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
    happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
    installed any hardware devices recently.

    I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back in
    and still no change.

    Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another machine
    to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this? Any
    consequences?

    Please help me if you can.

    Thanks.
    george ladet, Mar 22, 2007

  2. george ladet

    pen Guest

    "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    > Hey Guys,
    >
    > Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
    >
    > This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
    >
    > The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
    > motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
    > putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
    >
    > When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
    > happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
    > installed any hardware devices recently.
    >
    > I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back
    > in and still no change.
    >
    > Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another machine
    > to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this? Any
    > consequences?
    >
    > Please help me if you can.
    >
    > Thanks.

    There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did you
    test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it connected
    to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts then the front
    panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for seating.
    pen, Mar 22, 2007

  3. george ladet

    george ladet Guest

    "pen" <> wrote in message
    > "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey Guys,
    >>
    >> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
    >>
    >> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
    >>
    >> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
    >> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
    >> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
    >>
    >> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
    >> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
    >> installed any hardware devices recently.
    >>
    >> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back
    >> in and still no change.
    >>
    >> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another
    >> machine to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this?
    >> Any consequences?
    >>
    >> Please help me if you can.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did you
    > test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it connected
    > to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts then the front
    > panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for seating.

    Thanks very much for your quick reply.

    Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said with
    the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were in place
    the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of the paperclip
    method?

    Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And do
    you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I tried to
    use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button seems to be
    acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch slot. wherever
    i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to respond.

    thanks.
    george ladet, Mar 22, 2007
  4. george ladet

    george ladet Guest

    > "pen" <> wrote in message
    >> "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hey Guys,
    >>>
    >>> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
    >>>
    >>> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
    >>> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
    >>> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
    >>>
    >>> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
    >>> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
    >>> installed any hardware devices recently.
    >>>
    >>> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back
    >>> in and still no change.
    >>>
    >>> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another
    >>> machine to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this?
    >>> Any consequences?
    >>>
    >>> Please help me if you can.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did you
    >> test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it
    >> connected to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts then
    >> the front panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for seating.

    > Thanks very much for your quick reply.
    >
    > Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said with
    > the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were in
    > place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of the
    > paperclip method?
    >
    > Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And do
    > you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I tried
    > to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button seems to
    > be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch slot.
    > wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to respond.
    >
    > thanks.

    just a note:
    it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's turned
    and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.
    george ladet, Mar 22, 2007
  5. george ladet

    > "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "pen" <> wrote in message
    >>> "george ladet" <> wrote in message

    >>> There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did you
    >>> test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it
    >>> connected to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts
    >>> then the front panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for
    >>> seating.

    >> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
    >>
    >> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said with
    >> the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were in
    >> place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of the
    >> paperclip method?
    >>
    >> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And do
    >> you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I tried
    >> to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button seems to
    >> be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch slot.
    >> wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to respond.
    >>
    >> thanks.
    >>

    > just a note:
    > it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
    > turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.

    The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
    activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you have
    a mobo problem.
    pen, Mar 22, 2007
  6. george ladet

    vega Guest

    "pen" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "pen" <> wrote in message

    > >> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
    > >>
    > >> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said with
    > >> the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were in
    > >> place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of the
    > >> paperclip method?
    > >>
    > >> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And do
    > >> you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I tried
    > >> to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button seems to
    > >> be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch slot.
    > >> wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to respond.
    > >>
    > >> thanks.
    > >>

    > > just a note:
    > > it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
    > > turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.
    > >

    > The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
    > activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you have
    > a mobo problem.

    Paperclip..little hole in the CD....LMFAO.

    Or He`s retarded...like yourself!
    vega, Mar 22, 2007
  7. george ladet

    george ladet Guest

    "pen" <> wrote in message
    > "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "pen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
    >>>
    >>> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said
    >>> with the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were
    >>> in place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of
    >>> the paperclip method?
    >>>
    >>> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And
    >>> do you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I
    >>> tried to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button
    >>> seems to be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch
    >>> slot. wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to
    >>> respond.
    >>>
    >>> thanks.
    >>>

    >> just a note:
    >> it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
    >> turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.
    >>

    > The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
    > activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
    > have a mobo problem.

    Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
    paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
    into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
    a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
    each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
    noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
    minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
    indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
    the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
    thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
    george ladet, Mar 22, 2007
  8. george ladet

    Jesse Guest

    Jesse, Mar 22, 2007
  9. george ladet

    george ladet Guest

    george ladet, Mar 22, 2007
  10. george ladet

    vega Guest

    "Jesse" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:46:56 GMT, "george ladet" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"pen" <> wrote in message
    > >> "george ladet" <> wrote in message

    > >> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
    > >> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
    > >> have a mobo problem.

    > >Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
    > >paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
    > >into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
    > >a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
    > >each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
    > >noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
    > >minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
    > >indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
    > >the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
    > >thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
    > >

    > >I would look at a replacement power supply first. jesse

    I`d look at a head replacement,
    because you`re definatley retarded.
    vega, Mar 22, 2007
  11. george ladet

    tony sayer Guest

    >> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
    >> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
    >> have a mobo problem.

    >Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
    >paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
    >into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
    >a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
    >each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
    >noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
    >minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
    >indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
    >the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
    >thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.

    In my experience of looking after some 50 odd windoze boxes, the prime
    suspect is the power supply!....
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Mar 22, 2007
  12. george ladet

    vega Guest

    > In my experience of looking after some 50 odd windoze boxes, the prime
    > suspect is the power supply!....

    Bullshit, if you were looking after, anything
    beyong 1 PC, I`d be amazed..50 lol.
    vega, Mar 23, 2007
  13. george ladet

    Jesse Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:45:05 GMT, "george ladet" <>
    wrote:

    >"pen" <> wrote in message
    >> "george ladet" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "george ladet" <> wrote in message

    >>> just a note:
    >>> it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
    >>> turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.
    >>>

    >> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
    >> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
    >> have a mobo problem.

    >Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
    >paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
    >into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
    >a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
    >each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
    >noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
    >minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
    >indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
    >the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
    >thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.

    Additionally, if you are using a clip to turn on, just touch the two
    pins together, you should not have a continuous continuity between
    only momentary. Still think your problem could be the PS. jesse
    Jesse, Mar 23, 2007
  14. george ladet

    Jesse Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:49:27 +1100, "vega" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jesse" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:46:56 GMT, "george ladet" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"pen" <> wrote in message

    >> >Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
    >> >paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
    >> >into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
    >> >a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
    >> >each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
    >> >noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
    >> >minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
    >> >indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
    >> >the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
    >> >thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
    >> >

    >> >I would look at a replacement power supply first. jesse
    >> >

    >I`d look at a head replacement,
    >because you`re definatley retarded.

    Thanks vega I sure appreciate your apparent intelect. jesse
    Jesse, Mar 23, 2007
  15. george ladet

    vega Guest

    "Jesse" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:45:05 GMT, "george ladet" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"pen" <> wrote in message
    > >> "george ladet" <> wrote in message

    > >> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
    > >> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
    > >> have a mobo problem.

    > >Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
    > >paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
    > >into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
    > >a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
    > >each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
    > >noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
    > >minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
    > >indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
    > >the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
    > >thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
    > >

    > Additionally, if you are using a clip to turn on, just touch the two
    > pins together, you should not have a continuous continuity between
    > only momentary. Still think your problem could be the PS. jesse

    Jeez, stick it between your eyeballs
    and see if you`ll make any contact there...paper-clip..Lol.
    vega, Mar 23, 2007
  16. george ladet

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <46031c10$0$5747$>, vega
    <> writes

    >> In my experience of looking after some 50 odd windoze boxes, the prime
    >> suspect is the power supply!....

    >Bullshit, if you were looking after, anything
    >beyong 1 PC, I`d be amazed..50 lol.

    Be amazed then;)
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Mar 23, 2007
  17. george ladet

    w_tom Guest

    On Mar 22, 7:45 pm, "george ladet" <> wrote:
    > ... Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I noticed
    > that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
    > minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
    > indicate a problem with the motherboard? ...

    No, but implies a problem with something in the power supply
    'system'. 'System' is more than just a power supply.

    You need facts that provide a definitive answer. That means a $20
    multimeter (even sold in K-mart and Wal-mart) and two minutes.
    Procedure is in "When your computer dies without warning....."
    starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp at:
    http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

    3.5 digit multimeter provides numbers that either answer you
    question obviously or result in better replies. Currently, even with
    the paper clip, one can only speculate.

    Put everything back together. Use the meter. Don't disconnect
    anything. Those numbers will definitively exonerate or accuse
    something. Currently you have not even exonerated a single component
    - still made no progress. Get the meter to get definitive answers.
    w_tom, Mar 23, 2007
  18. george ladet

    w_tom Guest

    On Mar 22, 8:15 pm, "vega" <> wrote:
    > Bullshit, if you were looking after, anything
    > beyong 1 PC, I`d be amazed..50 lol.

    Which demonstrates that experience without first learning how it
    works makes one his own worst enemy. Vega advocates shotgunning - a
    worst procedure. Shotgunning is so unacceptable that even car
    mechanics no longer use the technique should they want to stay
    employed. Why do some shotgun? Because shotgunners never learned how
    things work. Somehow they just magically have the answers.

    How do we know Vega never first learned. Even his first word is a
    profanity.
    w_tom, Mar 23, 2007
  19. george ladet

    george ladet Guest

    "Jesse" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:46:56 GMT, "george ladet" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"pen" <> wrote in message
    >>> "george ladet" <> wrote in message

    >>> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The
    >>> switches
    >>> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
    >>> have a mobo problem.

    >>Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
    >>paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
    >>into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing
    >>it
    >>a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
    >>each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
    >>noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple
    >>of
    >>minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
    >>indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
    >>the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend
    >>best
    >>thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
    >>

    >>I would look at a replacement power supply first. jesse

    you were right jesse. installed a new supply adn everything is fine now.
    cheers

    george ladet, Mar 23, 2007
  20. george ladet

    Neil Green Guest

    "vega" <> wrote in message

    > "Jesse" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:45:05 GMT, "george ladet"
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"pen" <> wrote in message

    >> >Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on
    >> >the subject matter. The
    >> >paperclip was securely placed between the green
    >> >and black pins and I took
    >> >into account for the fact that it could have
    >> >become dislodged by testing it
    >> >a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at
    >> >about 2-3 minutes after
    >> >each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to
    >> >today's calamity, I
    >> >noticed that if I shut down the computer it would
    >> >take at least a couple of
    >> >minutes for the power button to respond and turn
    >> >it back on. Does this
    >> >indicate a problem with the motherboard? However,
    >> >again prior to today, if
    >> >the PC was on it would never shut down by itself.
    >> >Do you now recommend best
    >> >thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
    >> >

    >> Additionally, if you are using a clip to turn on,
    >> just touch the two
    >> pins together, you should not have a continuous
    >> continuity between
    >> only momentary. Still think your problem could be
    >> the PS. jesse

    > Jeez, stick it between your eyeballs
    > and see if you`ll make any contact
    > there...paper-clip..Lol.

    Hey Vega.
    Do you know anything, or are you just comedy relief?
    Neil Green, Mar 24, 2007