    light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
    start from anything.

    Help!

    jakec, Oct 4, 2004

  2. jakec wrote:
    > My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
    > Pentium III 933

    Im not sure about this board, but was it jumpered? or is it multiplier
    all done in software?

    heh, nice cross posting, next time limit it a tad, you've broken at
    least one group charter.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 4, 2004

  3. jakec

    ftran999 Guest

    "jakec" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
    > Pentium III 933, added a stick of SDRAM, another hard drive, and a
    > DVDROM drive. In doing this I took my Abit VA-6 motherboard out of the
    > ATX case and then reinstalled it.
    >
    > Now when I press my case power button there is no response. No fans
    > start up, no beeps, nothing (not even the power supply fan goes).
    > There is the barest flicker from my case lights. I tried taking
    > everything out and only using the bare minimum components. Still no
    > joy - no fans.
    >
    > I tried swapping in another motherboard (an ASUS CUV-4X-e). The LED
    > light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
    > start from anything.
    >
    > Help!

    First question,have you updated your MB with the latest bios so that it may
    support the new processor. I ask this because the way I read the Abit site
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=97 ,
    the VA6 supports up to 733MHZ. This was most likely the original
    configuration for the board so that's why I suggest upgrading your bios. If
    you have upgraded and are still having the same problem my guess would be
    that you have a faulty processor. I'm assuming this since you have tried
    the same processor in two different MBs and have gotten the same results
    I would contact your vendor and tell them your problem. Perhaps they will
    send you a replacement processor.
    Hope this helps.
    Hope this helps.

    ftran999, Oct 4, 2004
  4. jakec

    Timberwolf Guest

    "jakec" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
    > Pentium III 933, added a stick of SDRAM, another hard drive, and a
    > DVDROM drive. In doing this I took my Abit VA-6 motherboard out of the
    > ATX case and then reinstalled it.
    >
    > Now when I press my case power button there is no response. No fans
    > start up, no beeps, nothing (not even the power supply fan goes).
    > There is the barest flicker from my case lights. I tried taking
    > everything out and only using the bare minimum components. Still no
    > joy - no fans.
    >
    > I tried swapping in another motherboard (an ASUS CUV-4X-e). The LED
    > light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
    > start from anything.
    >
    > Help!

    Try reading your motherboard specs before upgrades---from what info you give
    (abit va6)
    it would seem reasonable from the user manual from abit
    http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/dlmanual.php?name=VA6&file=va6.pdf
    that you have been overclocking as the max speed cpu is given as p3 450-733
    (100&133 FSB) p2 233-450 (66&100FSB) Celeron 266-533 (66 FSB)
    However it does state that it "reserves the support for future p3 cpu"
    assuming you have the latest "update" (bios) and you say it ran your celeron
    950--check your wiring---either that or it is toast
    personally i would quit wasting time with it and aquire something more
    recent (finances allowing)

    just a comment
    Timberwolf

    "I do not mind dying, i just do not want to be there when it
    happens"-----nice one Spike

    Timberwolf, Oct 5, 2004
  5. jakec

    ~misfit~ Guest

    jakec wrote:
    > Hi,
    > My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
    > Pentium III 933, added a stick of SDRAM, another hard drive, and a
    > DVDROM drive. In doing this I took my Abit VA-6 motherboard out of the
    > ATX case and then reinstalled it.
    >
    > Now when I press my case power button there is no response. No fans
    > start up, no beeps, nothing (not even the power supply fan goes).
    > There is the barest flicker from my case lights. I tried taking
    > everything out and only using the bare minimum components. Still no
    > joy - no fans.
    >
    > I tried swapping in another motherboard (an ASUS CUV-4X-e). The LED
    > light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
    > start from anything.

    Next time try changing one thing at a time, then testing. Your approach to
    upgrading seems similar to your approach to crossposting, not the best.

    Can't help you, too many changes, too little info.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2004
  6. jakec

    Kaius Guest

    It's the power supply. You don't even get the fan running, and you get a
    dim light on a separate board. Sounds to me it's either the power supply
    doesn't have enough juice for your new computer, or the power supply just
    died. You need around 300 - 350W minimum to run the Pentium III and all the
    drives reliably. You can by the power supply separately from the case.
    Just make sure it's an ATX form factor.

    Kaius, Oct 6, 2004
  7. jakec

    Raymond Guest

    Nah, 250W is good enough for a PIII. Got
    a system like that here filled with components
    (3 HDD, 3 sticks of RAM, 5 cards, DVD-ROM,
    FDD, and overclocked) that's been doing just fine
    for years, using a cheap 250W PSU .

    Raymond, Oct 6, 2004
  8. Raymond wrote:
    > the most expensive thing in it is the old
    > Abit motherboard, custom built of course.

    no wonder it was expensive, a custom built motherboard... sheesh.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2004
  9. jakec

    Duane's Mum Guest

    :

    --
    Linux makes you stupid

    Duane's Mum, Oct 6, 2004
  10. It seems like Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:33:15 +0545 was when Djed-neb-heqa
    IV <> said Blah blah blah...

    >When a tampon untoward the flowerpot is low-cost, an attention-seeking penis
    >fondles a fungal giblet.

    Now really, how many attention-seeking penises do you know that
    folders a giblet let alone a fungal giblet?:)
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 7, 2004
  11. jakec

    Avid Gamer Guest

    Wonder if the power startup lead has come loose from the mobo ?, that
    could lead to those symtoms :)

    Pushing button nothing happens :p

    Avid Gamer, Oct 7, 2004
  12. jakec

    Enkidu Guest

    On 4 Oct 2004 14:21:35 -0700, (jakec) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >My PC was working fine. I shut down and replaced my Celeron 950 with a
    >Pentium III 933, added a stick of SDRAM, another hard drive, and a
    >DVDROM drive. In doing this I took my Abit VA-6 motherboard out of the
    >ATX case and then reinstalled it.
    >
    >Now when I press my case power button there is no response. No fans
    >start up, no beeps, nothing (not even the power supply fan goes).
    >There is the barest flicker from my case lights. I tried taking
    >everything out and only using the bare minimum components. Still no
    >joy - no fans.
    >
    >I tried swapping in another motherboard (an ASUS CUV-4X-e). The LED
    >light on this motherboard works to show it is receiving power. But no
    >start from anything.

    PSU. I've had a few go when doing things like this. Not many, but a
    few.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 7, 2004