PC won't start?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Older PC:

    Asus K7M m/b
    600MHz Athlon
    256 MB RAM
    350W PSU
    ATI 8MB AGP graphics
    Standard CDROM
    XP Pro/SP2

    Pressing ON button on case front PSU & CPU fans start but nothing else,
    doesn't even get to POST beep.
    Sometimes powering off and pressing ON button maybe 3 times PC will POST OK
    and work normally until it's powered off again.
    Have reseated cards, RAM and cables.
    Tried different graphics card.
    Have reset BIOS to defaults although there was no sign of BIOS corruption
    and battery checks OK with multimeter.
    Suspect PSU or m/b but don't have spares to swap out, which would be more
    likely?

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    "Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."
    Kenny, Sep 18, 2006

  2. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Pressing ON button on case front PSU & CPU fans start but nothing else,
    > doesn't even get to POST beep.

    Remove all cards and cables and see if it posts then. If so, then add
    one back at a time to find the part that is causing your pc not to boot.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Sep 18, 2006

  3. Kenny

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-18, Kenny <> wrote:
    > Older PC:
    >
    > Asus K7M m/b
    > 600MHz Athlon
    > 256 MB RAM
    > 350W PSU
    > ATI 8MB AGP graphics
    > Standard CDROM
    > XP Pro/SP2
    >
    > Pressing ON button on case front PSU & CPU fans start but nothing else,
    > doesn't even get to POST beep.
    > Sometimes powering off and pressing ON button maybe 3 times PC will POST OK
    > and work normally until it's powered off again.
    > Have reseated cards, RAM and cables.
    > Tried different graphics card.
    > Have reset BIOS to defaults although there was no sign of BIOS corruption
    > and battery checks OK with multimeter.
    > Suspect PSU or m/b but don't have spares to swap out, which would be more
    > likely?

    The CMOS battery is probably old enough for it to be about due for
    replacement. A multimeter may show a normal voltage when the battery is
    not under a significant load, but the battery may no longer be able to
    sustain that voltage in actual use. Persistent attempts to get the
    machine started may 'juice up' the battery, or build up some capacitance
    somewhere, just enough to get the BIOS to run properly and start the boot
    process.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 19, 2006
  4. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Got this one fixed more by chance than anything else. Came across an old
    128MB PC100 module and thought I'd try it but wasn't hopeful.
    You've guessed it, the PC booted perfectly time after time. Put the 256MB
    back in and the fault returned! This is god quality Crucial RAM.
    I know 128MB isn't enough to run XP comfortably so I'll buy 256MB or perhaps
    even 512MB.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Kenny

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:56:15 +0100, "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >Older PC:
    >
    >Asus K7M m/b
    >600MHz Athlon
    >256 MB RAM
    >350W PSU
    >ATI 8MB AGP graphics
    >Standard CDROM
    >XP Pro/SP2
    >
    >Pressing ON button on case front PSU & CPU fans start but nothing else,
    >doesn't even get to POST beep.
    >Sometimes powering off and pressing ON button maybe 3 times PC will POST OK
    >and work normally until it's powered off again.
    >Have reseated cards, RAM and cables.
    >Tried different graphics card.
    >Have reset BIOS to defaults although there was no sign of BIOS corruption
    >and battery checks OK with multimeter.
    >Suspect PSU or m/b but don't have spares to swap out, which would be more
    >likely?

    I had the same sort of problem until I replaced the power supply.

    >--
    >Kenny Cargill

    Barry
    =====