PC wont start

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi folks

    Need your expertise again.

    Wife's PC worked fine this morning. Then i shut it down un-plugged it and
    moved all the hardware upstairs.

    Re connected all the cables............ turned the PC back on and
    ..........NOTHING.......cept for a a meesage that says something like

    " Windows has succesfully loaded the display adapter - if you want to use
    this display open up control panel go to display and change the settings"

    I can hear the PC whirring and clicking away but nothing else
    happens,although I did once get a message that said "please check video
    cable"

    Tried to boot-up from floppy still nothing - have checked the cables and
    they all see fine

    ANY ideas what else i can try?

    many thanks

    D ( an Oldun soon to be a deadun if i dont get it fixed )
    anOLDun, Nov 21, 2003

  2. anOLDun

    Bill Riggs Guest

    Sounds like your video card has came loose or shifted. I would suggest you
    pop the case open, take out, then reseat all the cards, esp the video card.
    While you are at it, you can reseat the memory chips also.

    Bill Riggs, Nov 21, 2003

  3. anOLDun

    SgtMinor Guest

    You may have bent one or more pins in the video cable contacts when you
    removed it and plugged it back in.

    SgtMinor, Nov 21, 2003
  4. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi again -

    Thanks for the advice

    Bill -

    there doesn't appear to be a video card - not being a tekkie i could be
    wrong of course - i can see the "green" cards for other things but where
    the cable goes into the PC it is some kind of "box".....???

    SgtMinor-

    You were right one of the pins was bent and i have straightened it up.

    However.......

    NOW I get a message " check video cable" BEFORE i boot-up up the PC - when i
    do boot-up the PC is whirring and clicking away BUT the "video cable"
    message remains on view and nothing else happens

    Now what have i done?

    Thanks

    D ( suitcase now packed and she <who THINKS she is in charge> is due home
    any minute) and i am NOT panicking no sir not me

    anOLDun, Nov 21, 2003
  5. anOLDun

    SgtMinor Guest

    Your system probably has 'on-board' video, meaning the function is built
    in to the motherboard. The "check video cable' is a normal one when the
    monitor is turned on and receives no video from the computer.

    Take a look in Control panel > System > Device Manager and see if there
    are any problems listed. Also, while in Control Panel, take a look
    under Display to see if the proper settings show up.

    You might also check out the BIOS on start-up and look at video settings
    there.

    And, since it seems that you have opened the case, try a new battery in
    the mobo. If it's bad, your system may lose CMOS settings and revert to
    the default setup.

    SgtMinor, Nov 21, 2003
  6. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi Sgt

    Many thanks for the reply ........

    In another post Mike told me off for not providing basic info with me
    "query" seems i am also guilty here as well, so firstly I must apologise.

    My wife's pc OS is winME.

    The PC is stand alone - i.e it is NOT networked.

    When the monitor it turned on the video card message is there - when i then
    boot up the pc this message remains and the pc whirs and blleps away as if
    the "desktop" is being loaded BUT if it is we still don't see it just the
    message.

    I can't check in "control panel" the pc doesn't get that far, Other than the
    "video card" message nothing else happens.

    I hope i have outlined more fully the prob.

    regards

    anOLDun, Nov 22, 2003
  7. anOLDun

    SgtMinor Guest

    anOLDun wrote:

    > Hi Sgt
    >
    > Many thanks for the reply ........
    >
    > In another post Mike told me off for not providing basic info with me
    > "query" seems i am also guilty here as well, so firstly I must apologise.
    >
    > My wife's pc OS is winME.
    >
    > The PC is stand alone - i.e it is NOT networked.
    >
    > When the monitor it turned on the video card message is there - when i then
    > boot up the pc this message remains and the pc whirs and blleps away as if
    > the "desktop" is being loaded BUT if it is we still don't see it just the
    > message.
    >
    > I can't check in "control panel" the pc doesn't get that far, Other than the
    > "video card" message nothing else happens.
    >
    > I hope i have outlined more fully the prob.
    >
    > regards

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > > Your system probably has 'on-board' video, meaning the function is built
    > > in to the motherboard. The "check video cable' is a normal one when the
    > > monitor is turned on and receives no video from the computer.
    > >
    > > Take a look in Control panel > System > Device Manager and see if there
    > > are any problems listed. Also, while in Control Panel, take a look
    > > under Display to see if the proper settings show up.
    > >
    > > You might also check out the BIOS on start-up and look at video settings
    > > there.
    > >
    > > And, since it seems that you have opened the case, try a new battery in
    > > the mobo. If it's bad, your system may lose CMOS settings and revert to
    > > the default setup.
    > >
    > > anOLDun wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hi again -
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the advice
    > > >
    > > > Bill -
    > > >
    > > > there doesn't appear to be a video card - not being a tekkie i could be
    > > > wrong of course - i can see the "green" cards for other things but

    > where
    > > > the cable goes into the PC it is some kind of "box".....???
    > > >
    > > > SgtMinor-
    > > >
    > > > You were right one of the pins was bent and i have straightened it up.
    > > >
    > > > However.......
    > > >
    > > > NOW I get a message " check video cable" BEFORE i boot-up up the PC -

    > when i
    > > > do boot-up the PC is whirring and clicking away BUT the "video cable"
    > > > message remains on view and nothing else happens
    > > >
    > > > Now what have i done?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > D ( suitcase now packed and she <who THINKS she is in charge> is due

    > home
    > > > any minute) and i am NOT panicking no sir not me
    > > >
    > > > "anOLDun" <> wrote in message

    > and

    > use

    > settings"

    > video

    > and

    The "check video cable" message is generated by the monitor itself, and
    suggests that it is still functioning. This would suggest that either
    the on-board video is messed up, or the video cable is damaged. If the
    cable disconnects from the monitor, try a different cable. If it
    doesn't, try 'massaging' it a bit once the computer has booted up. If
    there's a short or break in one of the wires inside the cable, you can
    sometimes make it work by straightening out bends, or by pushing the
    cable together, if you know what I mean. This will not fix the cable
    but you will have pinpointed the problem. Have you tried swapping
    monitors with the computer you're using now?
    SgtMinor, Nov 22, 2003