    was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    parts, what should I start with?
    alice, Mar 13, 2007

  2. alice

    meerkat Guest

    "alice" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > parts, what should I start with?

    1. It worked Before you removed the HS and fan.
    2 When you `cleaned and refitted them, did you use
    use heat transfer paste between the HS and CPU ?.
    3. You have probably disturbed a cable connector
    during your exertions.
    Unplug/replug all cable connectors firmly.

    bw..
    meerkat, Mar 13, 2007

  3. alice

    alice Guest

    On Mar 13, 1:54 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "alice" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...>I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > > parts, what should I start with?

    > 1. It worked Before you removed the HS and fan.
    > 2 When you `cleaned and refitted them, did you use
    > use heat transfer paste between the HS and CPU ?.
    > 3. You have probably disturbed a cable connector
    > during your exertions.
    > Unplug/replug all cable connectors firmly.
    >
    > bw..

    I don't have any paste on hand, would lack of new paste really cause
    it to not turn on? I've replaced the power supply with a different one
    and made sure everything is plugged in correctly and tightly.
    alice, Mar 13, 2007
  4. alice

    meerkat Guest

    "alice" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 13, 1:54 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >> "alice" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:...>I just
    >> opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    >> > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    >> > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    >> > to spin, then it just turns off.
    >> > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    >> > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    >> > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    >> > parts, what should I start with?

    >> 1. It worked Before you removed the HS and fan.
    >> 2 When you `cleaned and refitted them, did you use
    >> use heat transfer paste between the HS and CPU ?.
    >> 3. You have probably disturbed a cable connector
    >> during your exertions.
    >> Unplug/replug all cable connectors firmly.
    >>
    >> bw..

    > I don't have any paste on hand, would lack of new paste really cause
    > it to not turn on? I've replaced the power supply with a different one
    > and made sure everything is plugged in correctly and tightly.

    So you have made a change !.
    You`ve changed the PSU.
    I`d put the other one back in, `cos it seemed to work
    before.

    A bit of advice for you, on computers.
    When you do anything at all, only do one job, then
    test what you`ve done.
    You`ve worked on the HS/fan, and the PSU.
    That`s 2 jobs, so now one of two could be your problem.
    meerkat, Mar 13, 2007
  5. alice

    alice Guest

    On Mar 13, 2:04 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "alice" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mar 13, 1:54 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > >> "alice" <> wrote in message

    > >> opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,

    > >> 1. It worked Before you removed the HS and fan.
    > >> 2 When you `cleaned and refitted them, did you use
    > >> use heat transfer paste between the HS and CPU ?.
    > >> 3. You have probably disturbed a cable connector
    > >> during your exertions.
    > >> Unplug/replug all cable connectors firmly.

    > >> bw..

    > > I don't have any paste on hand, would lack of new paste really cause
    > > it to not turn on? I've replaced the power supply with a different one
    > > and made sure everything is plugged in correctly and tightly.

    > So you have made a change !.
    > You`ve changed the PSU.
    > I`d put the other one back in, `cos it seemed to work
    > before.
    >
    > A bit of advice for you, on computers.
    > When you do anything at all, only do one job, then
    > test what you`ve done.
    > You`ve worked on the HS/fan, and the PSU.
    > That`s 2 jobs, so now one of two could be your problem.- Hide quoted text -

    Actually, I tried the other PSU after the this whole incident, to see
    if it would make a differnce. Sorry for the confusion. So I've tried
    both PSUs at this point and it still will not power on for more than 5
    seconds. And it won't even attempt to power on a second time until
    I've turned the switch of and on again on the PSU.
    So what should my next step be? I may have spare processor in another
    PC, but I'll have to check and see what kind it is.
    alice, Mar 13, 2007
  6. alice

    meerkat Guest

    "alice" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 13, 2:04 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >> "alice" <> wrote in message

    >> > I don't have any paste on hand, would lack of new paste really cause
    >> > it to not turn on? I've replaced the power supply with a different one
    >> > and made sure everything is plugged in correctly and tightly.

    >> So you have made a change !.
    >> You`ve changed the PSU.
    >> I`d put the other one back in, `cos it seemed to work
    >> before.
    >>
    >> A bit of advice for you, on computers.
    >> When you do anything at all, only do one job, then
    >> test what you`ve done.
    >> You`ve worked on the HS/fan, and the PSU.
    >> That`s 2 jobs, so now one of two could be your problem.- Hide quoted
    >> text -

    > Actually, I tried the other PSU after the this whole incident, to see
    > if it would make a differnce. Sorry for the confusion. So I've tried
    > both PSUs at this point and it still will not power on for more than 5
    > seconds. And it won't even attempt to power on a second time until
    > I've turned the switch of and on again on the PSU.
    > So what should my next step be? I may have spare processor in another
    > PC, but I'll have to check and see what kind it is.

    At this point it is necessary to prove that you have a
    good PSU it`s quite possible that the PSU/s are failing
    under load.

    You could also check around the cable connection from
    PSU to motherboard (the big/long plug), to see if
    the capacitors (little tubular pillars) all look healthy.
    They should have smooth flat tops, and not be leaking
    gunge at the bottom.
    meerkat, Mar 13, 2007
  7. alice

    alice Guest

    On Mar 13, 2:29 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "alice" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mar 13, 2:04 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > >> "alice" <> wrote in message

    > >> So you have made a change !.
    > >> You`ve changed the PSU.
    > >> I`d put the other one back in, `cos it seemed to work
    > >> before.

    > >> A bit of advice for you, on computers.
    > >> When you do anything at all, only do one job, then
    > >> test what you`ve done.
    > >> You`ve worked on the HS/fan, and the PSU.
    > >> That`s 2 jobs, so now one of two could be your problem.- Hide quoted
    > >> text -

    > > Actually, I tried the other PSU after the this whole incident, to see
    > > if it would make a differnce. Sorry for the confusion. So I've tried
    > > both PSUs at this point and it still will not power on for more than 5
    > > seconds. And it won't even attempt to power on a second time until
    > > I've turned the switch of and on again on the PSU.
    > > So what should my next step be? I may have spare processor in another
    > > PC, but I'll have to check and see what kind it is.

    > At this point it is necessary to prove that you have a
    > good PSU it`s quite possible that the PSU/s are failing
    > under load.
    >
    > You could also check around the cable connection from
    > PSU to motherboard (the big/long plug), to see if
    > the capacitors (little tubular pillars) all look healthy.
    > They should have smooth flat tops, and not be leaking
    > gunge at the bottom.- Hide quoted text -

    All the conncetions and connectors look good. Both PSUs are in working
    order, at least they were before any of this happened.
    I have 1 CD drive and 3 hard drives- does it matter which power
    connectors go to which, like a certain order or something, would that
    have anything to do with it?
    alice, Mar 13, 2007
  8. alice

    Cub Guest

    "alice" <> wrote in message
    >I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > parts, what should I start with?

    The fan should have 3 wires , 2 for power and one for speed sense

    If the system can't see the fan spinning ( via the 3rd wire) then the power
    will be killed

    check the fan cable is

    a) connected to the right header on the motherboard , there may be 2 next to
    each other

    and

    b) get a different heatsink fan. you may have damage it

    Cub
    Cub, Mar 13, 2007
  9. alice wrote:

    > I don't have any paste on hand, would lack of new paste really cause
    > it to not turn on? I've replaced the power supply with a different one
    > and made sure everything is plugged in correctly and tightly.

    When you remove the heatsink from your cpu, you also have to remove all
    traces of the old paste or pad, from the heatsink plate as well as from the
    cpu die (which can be dangerous to the cpu). Then, put just a little bit -
    one drop usually does it - of new arctic silver or other conducting paste
    on the mid of the die.
    Make sure the heatsink plate sits perfectly plain on top of the cpu.

    If you didn't take care of that all, your cpu may be fried the first seconds
    you turn the pc on.
    Walter Mautner, Mar 13, 2007
  10. alice

    alice Guest

    On Mar 13, 2:35 pm, "Cub" <> wrote:
    > "alice" <> wrote in message

    > >I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > > parts, what should I start with?

    > The fan should have 3 wires , 2 for power and one for speed sense
    >
    > If the system can't see the fan spinning ( via the 3rd wire) then the power
    > will be killed
    >
    > check the fan cable is
    >
    > a) connected to the right header on the motherboard , there may be 2 next to
    > each other
    >
    > and
    >
    > b) get a different heatsink fan. you may have damage it
    >
    > Cub

    All the wires from the fan look ok, the all connect to a connector
    that is properly plugged into the MB. I tried a different fan, same
    type but too small to actually fit over the heatsink, but I tried it
    just to see if the power would stay on, and it did the same thing,
    turns on, fan spins, then turns off right away.
    alice, Mar 13, 2007
  11. alice

    John Holmes Guest

    alice "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > parts, what should I start with?

    Reseat your AGP video card.

    --
    Your mother was a gap-teethed harpy who wore bizarre clothes in a home
    for the permanently baffled.
    John Holmes, Mar 13, 2007
  12. alice

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    "alice" <> wrote in message
    >I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > parts, what should I start with?

    I had the same thing happen recently, powers on for a few seconds then
    nothing. Try unplugging your boot drive and see if it powers on more than 5
    seconds. I think that's whats wrong with mine at the moment. Haven't got
    around to fixing it yet, bought a new pc instead lol (The other one was 6
    years old, prolly time for an upgrade anyway).
    DG.
    Dan Glybitz, Mar 13, 2007
  13. alice

    alice Guest

    On Mar 13, 2:52 pm, John Holmes <> wrote:
    > alice "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > > I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > > parts, what should I start with?

    > Reseat your AGP video card.
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a gap-teethed harpy who wore bizarre clothes in a home
    > for the permanently baffled.

    It does not have an AGP video card. It comes right from the MB.
    alice, Mar 13, 2007
  14. alice

    John Holmes Guest

    alice "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mar 13, 2:52 pm, John Holmes <> wrote:
    >> alice "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >> > I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    >> > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power

    on.
    >> > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    >> > to spin, then it just turns off.
    >> > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the

    machine
    >> > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    >> > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    >> > parts, what should I start with?

    >> Reseat your AGP video card.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Your mother was a gap-teethed harpy who wore bizarre clothes in a home
    >> for the permanently baffled.

    > It does not have an AGP video card. It comes right from the MB.

    Reseat any other cards you have installed then.

    --
    Your mother was a cranky bag-lady who used to do cow impressions on a
    roadworks site.
    John Holmes, Mar 13, 2007
  15. alice

    lkboop Guest

    alice wrote:
    > On Mar 13, 2:04 pm, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >> "alice" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't have any paste on hand, would lack of new paste really cause
    >>> it to not turn on? I've replaced the power supply with a different one
    >>> and made sure everything is plugged in correctly and tightly.

    >> So you have made a change !.
    >> You`ve changed the PSU.
    >> I`d put the other one back in, `cos it seemed to work
    >> before.
    >>
    >> A bit of advice for you, on computers.
    >> When you do anything at all, only do one job, then
    >> test what you`ve done.
    >> You`ve worked on the HS/fan, and the PSU.
    >> That`s 2 jobs, so now one of two could be your problem.- Hide quoted text -

    AND YOU DON'T FIX WHAT WHAT AIN'T BROKE

    lkboop, Mar 13, 2007
  16. alice

    lobo Guest

    > All the conncetions and connectors look good. Both PSUs are in working
    > order, at least they were before any of this happened.
    > I have 1 CD drive and 3 hard drives- does it matter which power
    > connectors go to which, like a certain order or something, would that
    > have anything to do with it?

    I would not think it would matter, unless you have reversed the ribbon plugs
    or bent a pin connecting the hard drives. I would see if unplugging all but
    the boot drive to see if it powers up. You have not indicated the wattage of
    your power supply. You would need quite a bit to spin up all three drives at
    start up, I would think.
    lobo, Mar 13, 2007
  17. alice

    Ghostrider Guest

    alice wrote:

    > I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > parts, what should I start with?

    Five seconds might not seem like too long but there is a good chance
    that the CPU got fried. This would occur for the lack of heat-conducting
    paste between the CPU heat slug and the surface of the heatsink. Let's
    hope not but all of the other troubleshooting ideas have not succeeded.
    Ghostrider, Mar 13, 2007
  18. alice

    alice Guest

    On Mar 13, 3:20 pm, "lobo" <> wrote:
    > > All the conncetions and connectors look good. Both PSUs are in working
    > > order, at least they were before any of this happened.
    > > I have 1 CD drive and 3 hard drives- does it matter which power
    > > connectors go to which, like a certain order or something, would that
    > > have anything to do with it?

    > I would not think it would matter, unless you have reversed the ribbon plugs
    > or bent a pin connecting the hard drives. I would see if unplugging all but
    > the boot drive to see if it powers up. You have not indicated the wattage of
    > your power supply. You would need quite a bit to spin up all three drives at
    > start up, I would think.

    I'm no longer in front of it, and I can't remember the wattage, but I
    want to say 350?
    alice, Mar 13, 2007
  19. alice

    alice Guest

    On Mar 13, 3:30 pm, Ghostrider <-...@fitron.142> wrote:
    > alice wrote:
    > > I just opened up my PC case to take off the CPU fan and heatsink,
    > > cleaned it, put it back on, and now the whole thing will not power on.
    > > The power light comes on for about 5 seconds, and the CPU fan starts
    > > to spin, then it just turns off.
    > > The reason I cleaned the fan in the first place is because the machine
    > > was overheating and randomly turning off frequently.
    > > Is there any thing I can do at this point, and if I need to replace
    > > parts, what should I start with?

    > Five seconds might not seem like too long but there is a good chance
    > that the CPU got fried. This would occur for the lack of heat-conducting
    > paste between the CPU heat slug and the surface of the heatsink. Let's
    > hope not but all of the other troubleshooting ideas have not succeeded.

    So if it was the lack of paste, would adding it now fix anything? I
    would assume not. Should I be looking for a new processor? It seems as
    though it was failing anyway, shutting down randomly for months now.
    alice, Mar 13, 2007
  20. alice

    lobo Guest

    "alice" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 13, 3:20 pm, "lobo" <> wrote:
    >> > All the conncetions and connectors look good. Both PSUs are in working
    >> > order, at least they were before any of this happened.
    >> > I have 1 CD drive and 3 hard drives- does it matter which power
    >> > connectors go to which, like a certain order or something, would that
    >> > have anything to do with it?

    >> I would not think it would matter, unless you have reversed the ribbon
    >> plugs
    >> or bent a pin connecting the hard drives. I would see if unplugging all
    >> but
    >> the boot drive to see if it powers up. You have not indicated the wattage
    >> of
    >> your power supply. You would need quite a bit to spin up all three drives
    >> at
    >> start up, I would think.

    > I'm no longer in front of it, and I can't remember the wattage, but I
    > want to say 350?

    If that's the case, then you will have start up issues. I had a similar
    issue when I added a second drive with a 350 watt power supply. It would try
    to start then shut down. Just not enough power to spin things up. I
    unplugged the second drive that I added and it would start fine. Upgraded to
    a 500 watt I believe and no problems.
    lobo, Mar 13, 2007