    reboots and the whole process starts over again
    it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
    thanks in advance

    lloydie, Apr 10, 2005

  2. lloydie

    Old Gringo Guest

    lloydie wrote:
    > hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it failed
    > to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it round and tried to
    > boot up from that,
    > we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
    > <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen the system
    > reboots and the whole process starts over again
    > it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
    > thanks in advance

    Before you do anything to take it out of warranty, take it back to
    the dealer.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Apr 10, 2005

  3. lloydie

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    lloydie took 10 lines to utter:

    >hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it failed
    >to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it round and tried to
    >boot up from that,
    >we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
    ><windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen the system
    >reboots and the whole process starts over again
    >it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
    > thanks in advance

    If it's a brand new PC, tell him to send it back for repair. And ask
    for a Windows installation disk.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 10, 2005
  4. lloydie

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Brand new pc????????
    Take it back for a replacement, NOT a repair

    Or perhaps you meant to ask - A brand new pc, whats the quickest way to
    invalidate the warranty/statutary rights????????

    MrGrumpy, Apr 10, 2005
  5. lloydie

    Sultan Guest

    "lloydie" <> wrote in

    > hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it
    > failed to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it

    round
    > and tried to boot up from that,
    > we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
    > <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen the
    > system reboots and the whole process starts over again
    > it makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?
    > thanks in advance

    I highly doubt you are going to void a hardware warranty by trying to
    reinstall Windows so don't let the other posters scare you.

    Have you tried to reformat the drive? Only do this if you have all
    the disks for any apps that came with the computer - if not then you
    very well might want to just take it back. In any case I would
    complain loudly to the outfit that sold it to him for not verifying
    it was in working order before going out the door.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Apr 10, 2005
  6. lloydie

    Dave Lear Guest

    "lloydie" wrote in message news:

    > hi my fathers just bought a new pc ,when he tried to start it up it
    > failed to load so as i had a windows installation disc i took it
    > round and tried to boot up from that,
    > we got the installation started but we keep getting this message
    > <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll when this comes on the screen
    > the system reboots and the whole process starts over again it
    > makes no difference if i boot from cd or hard drive,any clues?

    Well, as I see you're posting from the United Kingdom (your NNTP posting
    host was 81.86.158.241 which is Pipex in the UK) I would suggest you have a
    read of this handy guide to The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended in
    1994)...

    http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/sogconsumerguide.pdf

    If the product was faulty at the time of purchase and you were not made
    aware of the fact at, or before, the time of the purchase then you're
    legally entitled to a full refund or (if you choose) a repair / replacement.

    Basically, if you bought it from a shop and it doesn't work take it back and
    get your money back or get them to put it right. There's no point you doing
    what the shop should have done in the first place. If they're happy to sell
    you a PC in this state I'd be tempted to get your money back and shop
    elsewhere.

    Dave Lear, Apr 10, 2005
  7. lloydie wrote:

    > hi my fathers just bought a new pc

    And they're all going to share it?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 10, 2005