    make any difference.

    Any suggestions - thanks

    KJW

    kevin wainhouse, Oct 2, 2004

  2. kevin wainhouse

    Thor Guest

    restart the computer in safe mode, then try defragging. The problem is that
    there is too much running in the background that periodically accesses the
    harddrive. Even if you manually close everything in the task manager, you
    can still have several things actually running that aren't listed there.
    Especially spyware. Scandisk, and Defrag need exclusive use of the drive to
    do their jobs. When other programs keep accessing the drive, it interrupts
    the process, and then they have to restart over and over and over. Starting
    up in safe mode will automatically disable most if not all of the background
    programs that are causing the problem, enabling scandisk or defrag to
    complete without interruption. Make sure you also disable the screensaver.
    It can run in safe mode too.

    Thor, Oct 2, 2004

  3. kevin wainhouse

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:24:12 GMT, "kevin wainhouse"
    <> wrote:

    >My PC won't run Defrag programme - mesages ''Reading drive Info.... ''
    >appears followed by ''Drive's contents changed..restarting''
    >keeps coming up. Does not progress past 0%. Eventually Windows message
    >appears saying that another programme is running & requests confirmation
    >for defrag programme to continue. The problem is , as far as I can tell, no
    >other programme is running -I have made sure all prog's are closed.
    >
    >Similar thing hapens when I run Scandisc- following messages alternate
    >''checking folders'' followed by ''checking file allocation tables'' altho
    >no progress is actualy made.
    >
    >My anti virus programme is AntiVir personal edition; I also have Zone Alarm
    >and Ad Aware running. I have closed down these programmes but this doesn't
    >make any difference.
    >
    >Any suggestions - thanks
    >

    >KJW

    What operating system are you using?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Trent

    Windows 98 SE

    Thanks

    KJW

    kevin wainhouse, Oct 3, 2004
  5. kevin wainhouse

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 09:13:32 GMT, "kevin wainhouse"
    <> wrote:

    >Trent
    >
    >Windows 98 SE
    >
    >Thanks