pc won't boot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sab, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. Sab

    Sab Guest

    Hi
    A friend of mine has a big problem with his pc: it won't boot anymore, not
    even perform the memory test.
    I tried to boot with everything unplugged (sound, network, drives...) but
    still nothing. Except once the screen went on and we saw the video card
    specs (Nvidia GeForce 128M) that usually come before the bios start up and
    memory check, but now it won't even do that anymore. Only the fans
    (processor and power supply) are working.
    I checked the video card in my pc and ti works fine, so did the memory
    sticks and the hard drive (except WinXP doesn't start). I really don't what
    the problem could be. We need your help, please !!!!!

    Config:
    IBM motherboard (I don't know which one, I can't identify it) - Intel
    chipset (I think)
    Pentium4
    NVidia GeForce 128 video card
    SoundBlaster Live 5.1 sound card
    Maxtor 7200rpm 30G hard drive
    256M + 2x128M PC133 memory

    Sab, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Sab

    Hamman Guest

    "Sab" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > A friend of mine has a big problem with his pc: it won't boot anymore, not
    > even perform the memory test.
    > I tried to boot with everything unplugged (sound, network, drives...) but
    > still nothing. Except once the screen went on and we saw the video card
    > specs (Nvidia GeForce 128M) that usually come before the bios start up and
    > memory check, but now it won't even do that anymore. Only the fans
    > (processor and power supply) are working.
    > I checked the video card in my pc and ti works fine, so did the memory
    > sticks and the hard drive (except WinXP doesn't start). I really don't
    > what
    > the problem could be. We need your help, please !!!!!
    >
    > Config:
    > IBM motherboard (I don't know which one, I can't identify it) - Intel
    > chipset (I think)
    > Pentium4
    > NVidia GeForce 128 video card
    > SoundBlaster Live 5.1 sound card
    > Maxtor 7200rpm 30G hard drive
    > 256M + 2x128M PC133 memory

    Well that doesnt leave much, so try the CPU and PSU in another PC, or
    alternate components in that PC.

    Final stop is the motherboard.

    hamman

    Hamman, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Sab

    Kenny Guest

    First thing I'd try is changing the m/b battery.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 22, 2004
  4. Sab

    Sab Guest

    I did that and it still doesn't work.
    I was wondering if I can test the power supply on my pc: it's a 400W PSU and
    my pc uses a 200W or 250W PSU.

    Sab, Aug 23, 2004
  5. Sab

    Sab Guest