pc very slow on internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am not
    having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with the
    desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
    regard to definitions.

    I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file had
    become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a Winsock
    repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see web
    pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
    cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).

    I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE, but
    there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen email
    but always delete it online.

    Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth Bridge of
    course? TIA.

    --
    Radar: You're not supposed to be sleeping.
    Hawkeye: I'm not sleeping Radar... I'm just inspecting the

    "When your're down and out something will usually turn up......... often
    the noses of your friends" - Orson Welles.
    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003

  2. "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am

    not
    > having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with the
    > desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
    > regard to definitions.
    >
    > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file

    had
    > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a

    Winsock
    > repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see

    web
    > pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
    > cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).
    >
    > I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE,

    but
    > there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen email
    > but always delete it online.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth Bridge

    of
    > course? TIA.

    I meant to say I have also run Ad-aware and Spybot as well.
    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Bryan Henderson

    Peter T Guest

    > I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am

    not
    > having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with the
    > desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
    > regard to definitions.
    >
    > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file

    had
    > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a

    Winsock
    > repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see

    web
    > pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
    > cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).
    >
    > I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE,

    but
    > there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen email
    > but always delete it online.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth Bridge

    of
    > course? TIA.

    The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!

    Have you double checked that it is in fact connecting through your cable?
    Does it show what the connection speed is? I ask because somehow
    (daughter?) mine started to connect through old 56k modem instead of
    broadband.

    Long shot but HTH

    Peter
    Peter T, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Bryan Henderson

    Peter T Guest

    "Peter T" <9.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > > I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am

    > not
    > > having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with

    the
    > > desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
    > > regard to definitions.
    > >
    > > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file

    > had
    > > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a

    > Winsock
    > > repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see

    > web
    > > pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
    > > cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).
    > >
    > > I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE,

    > but
    > > there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen

    email
    > > but always delete it online.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth

    Bridge
    > of
    > > course? TIA.
    > >

    > The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!
    >
    > Have you double checked that it is in fact connecting through your cable?
    > Does it show what the connection speed is? I ask because somehow
    > (daughter?) mine started to connect through old 56k modem instead of
    > broadband.
    >
    > Long shot but HTH
    >
    > Peter

    and have you deleted your IE cache?

    Peter
    Peter T, Sep 30, 2003
  5. "Peter T" <9.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Peter T" <9.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I

    am
    > > not
    > > > having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with

    > the
    > > > desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date

    with
    > > > regard to definitions.
    > > >
    > > > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK

    file
    > > had
    > > > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a

    > > Winsock
    > > > repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now

    see
    > > web
    > > > pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I

    have
    > > > cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).
    > > >
    > > > I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows

    98SE,
    > > but
    > > > there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen

    > email
    > > > but always delete it online.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth

    > Bridge
    > > of
    > > > course? TIA.
    > > >

    > > The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!

    not to Edinburgh....

    > > Have you double checked that it is in fact connecting through your

    cable?
    > > Does it show what the connection speed is? I ask because somehow
    > > (daughter?) mine started to connect through old 56k modem instead of
    > > broadband.
    > >
    > > Long shot but HTH

    It definitely isn't connecting through the 56k modem. Are you on ADSL or
    cable?

    > and have you deleted your IE cache?

    I have now but I don't think that is the main problem.
    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Bryan Henderson

    Peter T Guest

    > > > The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!
    >
    > not to Edinburgh....

    Try replacing the haggis processor in your cable modem with a good Devon
    pasty! <<g>>

    > It definitely isn't connecting through the 56k modem. Are you on ADSL or
    > cable?

    ADSL - connection speed 576 Kbps and works very well. Does your cable
    connection show what speed you're connecting at? I think it will be
    important to eliminate line/modem problems before getting too worked up
    about the PC - unless the whole thing is running slow.

    Peter
    Peter T, Sep 30, 2003
  7. "Peter T" <9.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > not to Edinburgh....
    > >

    > Try replacing the haggis processor in your cable modem with a good Devon
    > pasty! <<g>>

    what's wrong with haggis processors? We don't get that many Devon pasties up
    here, mostly things called bridies and some Cornish pasties, now a drop of
    scrumpy that might help!

    > > It definitely isn't connecting through the 56k modem. Are you on ADSL or
    > > cable?
    > >

    > ADSL - connection speed 576 Kbps and works very well. Does your cable
    > connection show what speed you're connecting at? I think it will be
    > important to eliminate line/modem problems before getting too worked up
    > about the PC - unless the whole thing is running slow.

    Well as I said my laptop works fine on the same connection so I presumed the
    problem is with the PC not the connection don't you agree? The cable modem
    doesn't display speed of connection AFAIK.
    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Bryan Henderson

    Sparky Guest

    Your TCP settings probably got restored to the windows default settings,
    which are more appropriate for dialup. I've seen the same symptoms before,
    and that's what the problem was.

    Go to www.broadbandreports.com - in the tools section, run a speed test on
    both your desktop and laptop. If the results differ, that's the problem.
    Then check out the "tweak test" to see which registry adjustments should be
    changed in order to optimize your performance. There are tools on the site
    which will help you make the adjustments.... or you can go to
    www.cablenut.com and use their adjuster program. It comes with templates
    for most types of broadband connections.

    Only other possibility which comes to mind immediately is a bad NIC, or NIC
    drivers.

    Sparky, Sep 30, 2003
  9. "Sparky" <> wrote in message
    > Your TCP settings probably got restored to the windows default settings,
    > which are more appropriate for dialup. I've seen the same symptoms

    before,
    > and that's what the problem was.
    >
    > Go to www.broadbandreports.com - in the tools section, run a speed test on
    > both your desktop and laptop. If the results differ, that's the problem.
    > Then check out the "tweak test" to see which registry adjustments should

    be
    > changed in order to optimize your performance. There are tools on the

    site
    > which will help you make the adjustments.... or you can go to
    > www.cablenut.com and use their adjuster program. It comes with templates
    > for most types of broadband connections.

    I've done that and the results are

    laptop download 331 kbps upload 79 kbps
    desktop down 122 kbps up 0 bps

    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003
  10. Bryan Henderson

    anonsoc Guest

    Actually if your cache is huge it will take forever to load up a webpage.
    Clean out your cache file and try again.

    What happens is when a webpage is loading your comp attempts to find the
    cached page to make loading quicker, but when you have too many files in
    there, it takes longer to search than it would to just load the page from
    scratch.

    anonsoc, Oct 1, 2003
  11. Bryan Henderson

    Plato Guest

    Bryan Henderson wrote:

    > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file had
    > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a Winsock

    corrupted or not. The other day I fixed the same problem by deleting 10
    gig of Internet cache files on a PC with a 30 gig drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 2, 2003
  12. Bryan Henderson

    Kaputnik Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in message news:<3f7bbf45$0$69556$>...
    > Bryan Henderson wrote:
    > >
    > > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file had
    > > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a Winsock

    > corrupted or not. The other day I fixed the same problem by deleting 10
    > gig of Internet cache files on a PC with a 30 gig drive.

    How do I find and delete my internet cache files?
    Kaputnik, Oct 4, 2003
  13. Bryan Henderson

    Chuck Guest

    On 4 Oct 2003 08:01:06 -0700, (Kaputnik) wrote:

    >Plato <|@|.|> wrote in message news:<3f7bbf45$0$69556$>...
    >> Bryan Henderson wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file had
    >> > become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a Winsock

    >> corrupted or not. The other day I fixed the same problem by deleting 10
    >> gig of Internet cache files on a PC with a 30 gig drive.

    >How do I find and delete my internet cache files?

    Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - under Temporary
    Internet files, Delete Files button. Check Settings too, tweak them
    to use less resources, so you don't get back to this point again.

    This is IE V6, other versions (other browsers??) may have different
    menu and wizard layout.

    Chuck

    Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
    Chuck, Oct 4, 2003
  14. Bryan Henderson

    anonsoc Guest

    if you're using windows go into internet explorer, click on tools, internet
    options, then you get a popup and it should be a button on that first page

    anonsoc, Oct 7, 2003
  15. Bryan Henderson

    Mike0000 Guest

    anonsoc wrote:

    > if you're using windows go into internet explorer, click on tools, internet
    > options, then you get a popup and it should be a button on that first page
    > "delete files"

    After you clean out cache you might want to try blocking ads to save on
    bandwidth. Click below.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now