    your pc. do they really
    work and is it good quality? also do you need cable or can you use a
    regular rabbit ears.
    joe, Jan 7, 2006

  2. joe

    Plato Guest

    joe wrote:

    > i saw a pc tv tuner that supposively makes it possible to watch tv on
    > your pc. do they really
    > work and is it good quality? also do you need cable or can you use a
    > regular rabbit ears.

    The first time I watched TV on a PC was in 1994. My buddy had a card he
    installed that took the cable line in. It was pretty cool. He had this
    huge monitor and watched the basketball games in the corner while he was
    doing other things. Yes it was perfect quality, better even then the TV.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 7, 2006

  3. joe

    ' Guest

    ', Jan 7, 2006
  4. joe

    Guest

    I'd recommend getting a PCI TV Tuner for the best performance. I have
    the WinTV PCI-FM and it works with a great third-party programme called
    DScaler which gives you excellent picture quality. DScaler has a very
    advanced deinterlacer which gives a very sharp and fluid picture, it
    also has seperate deinterlacers for old video game consoles which I use
    for my SNES. It even has noise filters and gamma correction, it's
    spiffy. My brother has got the Pinnacle PCTV USB, wouldn't recommend
    that one as you cannot download drivers off their website and you have
    to pay extra for the latest software, also DScaler doesn't work with
    it.

    Must say, the bundled software isn't fantastic but it has improved over
    the years. Current drivers are very stable too and I've had no
    problems with them, except for the occasional sound glitches.
    , Jan 7, 2006
  5. joe

    John Guest

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:20:18 +0000, A strange species called
    '<>' wrote:

    >Yes ive got a tuner card and its great when you have big projects going
    >on, its great at the moment becuase in the UK we have a program called
    >celebrity big brother and its on all the time, so thats what ive stuck
    >on.

    Owh God! Big Brother! I can't believe you watch that garbage mate! I
    thought it was only depressed women that watched that junk ;)

    As for TV Tuner cards, I have had a Matrox Marvel I think it was
    either a G200 or G400 card. That was very good.

    At the moment I have an ATI 9600 AIW card which has a TV Tuner.
    Quality is excellent. I have Sky TV on it from my Sony Sky box, with
    optical input as well for the sound. I can connect games machines to
    it as well as security cameras for motion detection etc. I can also
    capture firewire video from my camcorder on my machine and watch DVDs.

    It even lets you open the TV tuner within Internet Explorer and the
    favourites side panel so you can surf while watching TV. You can also
    have the tuner made small and on top of other applications so you can
    work on stuff and watch TV at the same time.

    I believe that you can now also get small flash disc shaped USB
    devices that turn your computer into a digital television receiving
    machine.

    John
    John, Jan 8, 2006
  6. joe

    joe Guest

    thanks for the info i was looking at an external hapage
    unit at circuit city but i dont have cable and might make the
    investment if i can get regular tv on it with an antenna
    joe, Jan 9, 2006
  7. joe

    Erick Guest

    I use a Hauppaugge WinTV Go and it works great (except for the crappy
    remote). The quality is good considering it goes to my 17" monitor rather
    than a TV. you can plug in a regular antenna if you like, but will have some
    trouble with tuning; it's definitely more made for cable.

    Erick, Jan 9, 2006
  8. joe

    JM Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:20:18 +0000, A strange species called
    > '<>' wrote:
    >

    >>Yes ive got a tuner card and its great when you have big projects going
    >>on, its great at the moment becuase in the UK we have a program called
    >>celebrity big brother and its on all the time, so thats what ive stuck
    >>on.

    > Owh God! Big Brother! I can't believe you watch that garbage mate! I
    > thought it was only depressed women that watched that junk ;)
    >
    > As for TV Tuner cards, I have had a Matrox Marvel I think it was
    > either a G200 or G400 card. That was very good.
    >
    > At the moment I have an ATI 9600 AIW card which has a TV Tuner.
    > Quality is excellent. I have Sky TV on it from my Sony Sky box, with
    > optical input as well for the sound. I can connect games machines to
    > it as well as security cameras for motion detection etc. I can also
    > capture firewire video from my camcorder on my machine and watch DVDs.-
    >
    > It even lets you open the TV tuner within Internet Explorer and the
    > favourites side panel so you can surf while watching TV. You can also
    > have the tuner made small and on top of other applications so you can
    > work on stuff and watch TV at the same time.
    >
    > I believe that you can now also get small flash disc shaped USB
    > devices that turn your computer into a digital television receiving
    > machine.
    >
    > John

    I've had great luck with the Leadtek Winfast units, such as the TV2000XP.
    For the money, I've been very satisfied. The weak point is the remote
    control, but then again I haven't found a good remote control with any TV
    tuner in the +/- $50 range.

    JMHO.

    JM
    JM, Jan 23, 2006