    opposed to Digital) in the South Island?

    Am considering changing my tuner card to receive Sky on the PC and just
    wonder if it's worth it (purely scientific research reasons naturally).

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:14:30 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know which Sky Channels are broadcast in analogue (as
    >opposed to Digital) in the South Island?
    >
    >Am considering changing my tuner card to receive Sky on the PC and just
    >wonder if it's worth it (purely scientific research reasons naturally).

    Sky is dropping its UHF Service, that is the Only Analog service that I know
    off.

    The satellite stuff is Digital..

    Karen Parker, Sep 8, 2004

  3. So it would be pointless getting a tuner card that can decode Sky then?

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Mrs Beeble Brock

    JohnO Guest

    "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:14:30 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know which Sky Channels are broadcast in analogue (as
    >>opposed to Digital) in the South Island?
    >>
    >>Am considering changing my tuner card to receive Sky on the PC and just
    >>wonder if it's worth it (purely scientific research reasons naturally).

    > Sky is dropping its UHF Service, that is the Only Analog service that I
    > know
    > off.
    >

    > The satellite stuff is Digital..

    Sky's UHF analogue service is still available for purchase. In fact they
    still market it aggressively as an entry level package.

    JohnO, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:09:54 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    <> wrote:

    >So it would be pointless getting a tuner card that can decode Sky then?

    You can't get one as they are not made..

    Karen Parker, Sep 8, 2004
  6. Mrs Beeble Brock

    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:09:54 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>So it would be pointless getting a tuner card that can decode Sky then?

    > You can't get one as they are not made..

    Once again Woger demonstrates his towering ignorance of the facts.

    Pretty much any el cheapo BT8x8 based card can decrypt Sky UHF. Go look up
    HVCPlus on google. I've tried this myself 'as a scientific exercise' with
    excellent results. Bruce Simpson ran an article on the same topic on his
    Aardvark website.

    JohnO, Sep 8, 2004
  7. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:55:00 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >"Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:09:54 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>So it would be pointless getting a tuner card that can decode Sky then?

    >> You can't get one as they are not made..
    >>

    >Once again Woger demonstrates his towering ignorance of the facts.

    NO ITS A FACT, GET YOURS RIGHT.

    >Pretty much any el cheapo BT8x8 based card can decrypt Sky UHF. Go look up
    >HVCPlus on google. I've tried this myself 'as a scientific exercise' with
    >excellent results. Bruce Simpson ran an article on the same topic on his
    >Aardvark website.

    NO IT BLOODY CAN'T, AND ITS ELEGAL..

    Karen Parker, Sep 8, 2004
  8. Right, so if it's still being broadcast, then presumably the right
    software-tuner card combination could enable the user to receive the
    analogue (uhf) Sky signal, yes?

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Sep 8, 2004
  9. > NO IT BLOODY CAN'T, AND ITS ELEGAL..

    Elegant ???

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 8, 2004
  10. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:09:54 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    <> wrote:

    <top-posting corrected>
    >Karen Parker wrote:
    >> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:14:30 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Does anyone know which Sky Channels are broadcast in analogue (as
    >>>opposed to Digital) in the South Island?
    >>>
    >>>Am considering changing my tuner card to receive Sky on the PC and just
    >>>wonder if it's worth it (purely scientific research reasons naturally).
    >>>

    >> Sky is dropping its UHF Service, that is the Only Analog service that I know
    >> off.
    >> The satellite stuff is Digital..

    >So it would be pointless getting a tuner card that can decode Sky then?

    Please ignore Woger - he is indeed a moron, and currently off his
    meds.

    Sky UHF will be around for quite a while yet.

    Any BT878 card will work a treat. The best one I have experimented
    with is the Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe. Left most others for dead. (It's
    imperative that you get the "Deluxe" version, rather than the "Expert"
    version of the card).

    Channels available: SKY Sports 1, SKY Movies 1, SKY 1/Nickelodeon,
    Discovery/TAB Trackside.

    Sky News used to be on it to, but I think it's been changed to that
    infernal Maori Channel.

    Note that you will need a relatively powerful PC, and quite a good UHF
    reception.

    Gurble, Sep 8, 2004
  11. Mrs Beeble Brock

    theseus Guest

    ...Waylon Smithers.. wrote:
    >> NO IT BLOODY CAN'T, AND ITS ELEGAL..

    > Elegant ???

    A decoder that can't decode, but its still elegant then.
    Perhaps we should try babelfish

    theseus, Sep 8, 2004
  12. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Bob Guest

    "Gurble" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:09:54 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <top-posting corrected>
    > >Karen Parker wrote:

    > >> Sky is dropping its UHF Service, that is the Only Analog service that I

    know
    > >> off.
    > >> The satellite stuff is Digital..

    > >So it would be pointless getting a tuner card that can decode Sky then?
    > >

    > Please ignore Woger - he is indeed a moron, and currently off his
    > meds.
    >
    > Sky UHF will be around for quite a while yet.
    >
    > Any BT878 card will work a treat. The best one I have experimented
    > with is the Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe. Left most others for dead. (It's
    > imperative that you get the "Deluxe" version, rather than the "Expert"
    > version of the card).
    >
    > Channels available: SKY Sports 1, SKY Movies 1, SKY 1/Nickelodeon,
    > Discovery/TAB Trackside.
    >
    > Sky News used to be on it to, but I think it's been changed to that
    > infernal Maori Channel.
    >
    > Note that you will need a relatively powerful PC, and quite a good UHF
    > reception.

    Are there any USB versions with the BT878 chip?

    Bob, Sep 8, 2004
  13. Mrs Beeble Brock

    > On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:55:00 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Karen Parker" <> wrote in message

    >>> You can't get one as they are not made..
    >>>

    >>Once again Woger demonstrates his towering ignorance of the facts.

    > NO ITS A FACT, GET YOURS RIGHT.
    >
    >>Pretty much any el cheapo BT8x8 based card can decrypt Sky UHF. Go look up
    >>HVCPlus on google. I've tried this myself 'as a scientific exercise' with
    >>excellent results. Bruce Simpson ran an article on the same topic on his
    >>Aardvark website.
    >>

    > NO IT BLOODY CAN'T, AND ITS ELEGAL..

    You really are a laugh Woger.

    So tell me, you old fool, if "IT BLOODY CAN'T", was I just imagining that I
    was watching clear, decrypted Sky channels then?

    JohnO, Sep 8, 2004
  14. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Collector_NZ Guest

    JohnO said the following on 8/09/2004 23:49:
    > "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:55:00 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Karen Parker" <> wrote in message

    >>>Once again Woger demonstrates his towering ignorance of the facts.

    >>NO ITS A FACT, GET YOURS RIGHT.
    >>

    >>>Pretty much any el cheapo BT8x8 based card can decrypt Sky UHF. Go look up
    >>>HVCPlus on google. I've tried this myself 'as a scientific exercise' with
    >>>excellent results. Bruce Simpson ran an article on the same topic on his
    >>>Aardvark website.
    >>>

    >>NO IT BLOODY CAN'T, AND ITS ELEGAL..
    >>

    > You really are a laugh Woger.
    >
    > So tell me, you old fool, if "IT BLOODY CAN'T", was I just imagining that I
    > was watching clear, decrypted Sky channels then?

    In actual fact you are both part right.

    Woger is correct the card is not a decoder, you are right you watch
    software decoded sky from the hardware card that recieves it.

    The pity is both you fools are blind to the obvious because you just
    want to piss on each other.

    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.

    Collector_NZ, Sep 8, 2004
  15. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Dorado Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:09:54 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <top-posting corrected>
    >> Karen Parker wrote:

    >>> Sky is dropping its UHF Service, that is the Only Analog service
    >>> that I know off.
    >>> The satellite stuff is Digital..

    >> So it would be pointless getting a tuner card that can decode Sky
    >> then?
    >>

    > Please ignore Woger - he is indeed a moron, and currently off his
    > meds.
    >
    > Sky UHF will be around for quite a while yet.
    >
    > Any BT878 card will work a treat. The best one I have experimented
    > with is the Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe. Left most others for dead. (It's
    > imperative that you get the "Deluxe" version, rather than the "Expert"
    > version of the card).
    >
    > Channels available: SKY Sports 1, SKY Movies 1, SKY 1/Nickelodeon,
    > Discovery/TAB Trackside.
    >
    > Sky News used to be on it to, but I think it's been changed to that
    > infernal Maori Channel.
    >
    > Note that you will need a relatively powerful PC, and quite a good UHF
    > reception.

    Regarding the "relatively powerfull PC" it worked on one of my old Pentium
    III 650's. Thats the slowest PC I've tested it on.

    Dorado, Sep 8, 2004
  16. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Dorado Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Right, so if it's still being broadcast, then presumably the right
    > software-tuner card combination could enable the user to receive the
    > analogue (uhf) Sky signal, yes?
    >
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    >> "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sky is dropping its UHF Service, that is the Only Analog service
    >>> that I know
    >>> off.
    >>>

    >>> The satellite stuff is Digital..
    >>>

    >> Sky's UHF analogue service is still available for purchase. In fact
    >> they still market it aggressively as an entry level package.

    Yup

    Dorado, Sep 8, 2004
  17. What channels exactly did you see? If it's only sport then I won't
    bother but if there are a whole range then I might.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Sep 8, 2004
  18. Thank you for the best answer so far.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Sep 8, 2004
  19. I believe USB cards are not recommended. Here are two helpful links.
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/tankengine/sky.htm
    http://nzrotaries.orcon.net.nz/hvcplus/index.htm

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Sep 8, 2004
  20. Mrs Beeble Brock

    JohnO Guest

    "Mrs Beeble Brock" <> wrote in message
    > What channels exactly did you see? If it's only sport then I won't
    > bother but if there are a whole range then I might.

    All the UHF sky channels.

    Note: You need a very clean UHF signal and reasonably grunty PC for this to
    work well.

    JohnO, Sep 8, 2004