    applications installed and PC Tools doesn't have a problem with them. If I
    deactivate the firewall I can run VLC and DVD Shrink. Any ideas how to run
    this programs without having to disable the firewall?

    Martin Knight, Feb 23, 2009

  2. Martin Knight

    olfart Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > "Martin Knight" <> wrote in message
    >> If Firewall protection is active in PC Tools it will lock up my computer
    >> when I start either DVD Shrink or VLC Media Player. I have many other
    >> applications installed and PC Tools doesn't have a problem with them. If
    >> I deactivate the firewall I can run VLC and DVD Shrink. Any ideas how to
    >> run this programs without having to disable the firewall?
    >>

    > Glad it wasn't just me...
    >
    > I had VLC and Jdisk lockup the machine solid when using PC Tools
    >
    > After using XP for many years...it's the first time I've ever had a the
    > system lock up
    >
    > To solve the problem I dumped PC Tools and am currently looking for
    > another firewall.
    >
    > In the past I've used Comodo and Zone Alarm

    the old Sygate 5.6 is still available for free and seems to good a good job
    for me without all the bloat of newer firewalls

    olfart, Feb 23, 2009

  3. After my message PC Tools locked up my system when I opened Media Player so
    I though that is it and it going. So I'm looking for a new up-to-date easy
    firewall without all the extras now as well. I just tried Sygate as philo
    suggested but even with permission granted nothing gets through inless I say
    unblock all. So that isn't a prospect for me at this point.

    Martin Knight, Feb 23, 2009
  4. Martin Knight

    M.L. Guest

    >I used to use Comodo with good results but the new version comes with a
    >virus checker that I don't want...

    The AV installation is optional and can be unchecked during the
    installation process.

    M.L., Feb 24, 2009