    Cheers,

    --
    SharkFOA

    SharkFOA, Oct 6, 2003

  2. SharkFOA wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
    > play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone
    > else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter?
    > Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

    Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better quality, so
    if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC is
    higher resolution, so if your TV can display a NTSC signal, then you should
    use that mode on your video card.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 6, 2003

  3. SharkFOA

    Big Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:57:17 +1300, "SharkFOA" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play DVDs
    >& other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it and
    >if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter? Cables? I'm hoping to
    >get a really good picture.
    >
    >Cheers,

    Some of the Nividia cards work well and you also you do need TVtool.

    http://tvtool.info/

    Try not to use a Long Svidio cable as it causes video delays..

    Big , Oct 6, 2003
  4. SharkFOA

    Big Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:20:34 +1300, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >SharkFOA wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
    >> play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone
    >> else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter?
    >> Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

    >Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better quality, so
    >if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC is
    >higher resolution, so if your TV can display a NTSC signal, then you should
    >use that mode on your video card.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    NTSC = Crap Never The Same Colour Twice..

    And has a lower res than PAL..

    TVtool lets you use higher res modes with Nvidia 3D cards..

    Long S-Video cable can cause video distortions, yes I have fully tested in on
    a Philips Matchline TV, caused sharp rings around edges of objects, a Normal
    top grade UHF coax cable did not..

    That is with a 8 meter cable..

    Big , Oct 6, 2003
  5. "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > SharkFOA wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
    > > play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone
    > > else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter?
    > > Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

    > Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better quality,

    so
    > if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC is
    > higher resolution,

    Bad advice, more study required.

    NTSC = 525 lines

    PAL = 625 lines

    Olson Johnson, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Olson Johnson wrote:
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> SharkFOA wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
    >>> play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has
    >>> anyone else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan
    >>> converter? Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

    >> Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better
    >> quality, so if your TV and video card support it, you should use
    >> that. I think NTSC is higher resolution,

    > Bad advice, more study required.
    >
    > NTSC = 525 lines
    >
    > PAL = 625 lines

    Ah, okay.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 6, 2003
  7. SharkFOA

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "SharkFOA" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play

    DVDs
    > & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it

    and
    > if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter? Cables? I'm hoping to
    > get a really good picture.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > --
    > SharkFOA

    A really good picture you will not get, not without a HDTV at least. While
    text etc isn't that great, videos etc can be slightly better due to the
    lower resolution of TV which give an anti aliasing affect softening the
    pixels.
    Go for a data projector for the really big screen.
    New video card is your best bet. Not very dear, plus it will most likely be
    better than what you've got now.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 6, 2003
  8. SharkFOA

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:57:17 +1300, "SharkFOA" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play DVDs
    >& other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it and
    >if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter? Cables? I'm hoping to
    >get a really good picture.
    >
    >Cheers,

    I am using a ATI Radeon 7500 with TV Out, running a S-Video cable to
    the TV for the video and a cable from the soundcard Line Out to the
    audio input on the TV. I used a mini-stereo to 2x RCA converter and
    then just a twin RCA to RCA cable.

    It worked fine straight off with full screen picture as good as a TV
    picture can be. The only thing was that the picture on the monitor is
    slightly off to one side but that is easily adjustable under the
    display settings which can be saved as a scheme.

    On my TV the S-Video input becomes AV1 and video from a VCR on AVI
    will not show untill the S-Video cable is pulled out.

    GraB, Oct 6, 2003
  9. SharkFOA

    max Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:08:23 +1300, "Olson Johnson" <> wrote:

    >"Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> SharkFOA wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
    >> > play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone
    >> > else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter?
    >> > Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

    >> Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better quality,

    >so
    >> if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC is
    >> higher resolution,

    >Bad advice, more study required.
    >
    >NTSC = 525 lines
    >
    >PAL = 625 lines

    I think NTSC does have a slightly higher refresh rate than PAL.

    max, Oct 7, 2003
  10. "max" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:08:23 +1300, "Olson Johnson" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    > >> Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better

    quality,
    > >so
    > >> if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC

    is
    > >> higher resolution,

    > >Bad advice, more study required.
    > >
    > >NTSC = 525 lines
    > >
    > >PAL = 625 lines
    > >

    > I think NTSC does have a slightly higher refresh rate than PAL.

    NTSC is 60Hz interlaced ie 30fps
    PAL is 50Hz interlaced ie 25fps

    Olson Johnson, Oct 7, 2003
  11. SharkFOA

    Stuart Guest

    "SharkFOA" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play

    DVDs
    > & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it

    and
    > if so, how? Any advice appreciated.

    Make sure you go direct to the TV. I went through my video at one point: the
    picture quality was awful, and the sound too quiet.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Oct 7, 2003
  12. SharkFOA

    rubber Guest

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:33:25 +1300, "Vogan" <>
    wrote:

    ><SNIP>
    >>

    >> NTSC = Crap Never The Same Colour Twice..
    >>

    >> And has a lower res than PAL..
    >>
    >> TVtool lets you use higher res modes with Nvidia 3D cards..
    >>
    >> Long S-Video cable can cause video distortions, yes I have fully tested in

    >on
    >> a Philips Matchline TV, caused sharp rings around edges of objects, a

    >Normal
    >> top grade UHF coax cable did not..
    >>

    >> That is with a 8 meter cable..
    >>

    >Hmmmm, an 8m cable, prehaps that could be the problem. The loss on a long
    >cable like that would be huge, not to mention impedence mismatches,
    >reflections etc..... coax cable is designed for long runs whereas S-video
    >cable is only desgined as an interconnect. Try the same experiment with a
    >shorter ie 1m cable and then tell us if it is crap or not.

    I have been using 10m of S Video cable - just stuff I got from Dick
    Smith. Picture is nice and clear running DVDs from PC using a Matrox
    G400 Max. This displayed on a Sony 34 inch AR34 so could explain the
    difference

    Rubber

    rubber, Oct 7, 2003
  13. SharkFOA

    Vogan Guest

    <SNIP>

    Vogan, Oct 7, 2003
  14. SharkFOA

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <3%tgb.6635$>,
    says...
    > <SNIP>
    > >

    > > NTSC = Crap Never The Same Colour Twice..
    > >

    > > And has a lower res than PAL..
    > >
    > > TVtool lets you use higher res modes with Nvidia 3D cards..
    > >
    > > Long S-Video cable can cause video distortions, yes I have fully tested in

    > on
    > > a Philips Matchline TV, caused sharp rings around edges of objects, a

    > Normal
    > > top grade UHF coax cable did not..
    > >

    > > That is with a 8 meter cable..
    > >

    > Hmmmm, an 8m cable, prehaps that could be the problem. The loss on a long
    > cable like that would be huge, not to mention impedence mismatches,
    > reflections etc..... coax cable is designed for long runs whereas S-video
    > cable is only desgined as an interconnect. Try the same experiment with a
    > shorter ie 1m cable and then tell us if it is crap or not.

    Why are you taking any notice of Woger?

    Just run SVHS signals on separate coax cables with adapters, works fine
    on that length in installations I have seen.

    Mainlander, Oct 7, 2003
  15. SharkFOA

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:41:50 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <3%tgb.6635$>,
    >says...
    >> <SNIP>
    >> >

    >> > NTSC = Crap Never The Same Colour Twice..
    >> >

    >> > And has a lower res than PAL..
    >> >
    >> > TVtool lets you use higher res modes with Nvidia 3D cards..
    >> >
    >> > Long S-Video cable can cause video distortions, yes I have fully tested in

    >> on
    >> > a Philips Matchline TV, caused sharp rings around edges of objects, a

    >> Normal
    >> > top grade UHF coax cable did not..
    >> >

    >> > That is with a 8 meter cable..
    >> >

    >> Hmmmm, an 8m cable, prehaps that could be the problem. The loss on a long
    >> cable like that would be huge, not to mention impedence mismatches,
    >> reflections etc..... coax cable is designed for long runs whereas S-video
    >> cable is only desgined as an interconnect. Try the same experiment with a
    >> shorter ie 1m cable and then tell us if it is crap or not.

    >Why are you taking any notice of Woger?
    >
    >Just run SVHS signals on separate coax cables with adapters, works fine
    >on that length in installations I have seen.

    And what do you know, you are not even in the Trade, but I am..

    Big , Oct 7, 2003
  16. SharkFOA

    GraB Guest

    >> That is with a 8 meter cable..
    >>

    >Hmmmm, an 8m cable, prehaps that could be the problem. The loss on a long
    >cable like that would be huge, not to mention impedence mismatches,
    >reflections etc..... coax cable is designed for long runs whereas S-video
    >cable is only desgined as an interconnect. Try the same experiment with a
    >shorter ie 1m cable and then tell us if it is crap or not.

    I use a 5m s-video cable without noticeable problems.

    GraB, Oct 7, 2003
  17. SharkFOA

    SharkFOA Guest

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play

    > DVDs
    > > & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it

    > and
    > > if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter? Cables? I'm hoping

    > > get a really good picture.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > --
    > > SharkFOA

    > A really good picture you will not get, not without a HDTV at least.

    While
    > text etc isn't that great, videos etc can be slightly better due to the
    > lower resolution of TV which give an anti aliasing affect softening the
    > pixels.
    > Go for a data projector for the really big screen.
    > New video card is your best bet. Not very dear, plus it will most likely

    be
    > better than what you've got now.

    ..Thanks to all who replied.

    Cheers,

    --
    SharkFOA

    SharkFOA, Oct 7, 2003
  18. SharkFOA

    Vogan Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <3%tgb.6635$>,
    > says...
    > > <SNIP>
    > > >

    > > > NTSC = Crap Never The Same Colour Twice..
    > > >

    > > > And has a lower res than PAL..
    > > >
    > > > TVtool lets you use higher res modes with Nvidia 3D cards..
    > > >
    > > > Long S-Video cable can cause video distortions, yes I have fully

    tested in
    > > on
    > > > a Philips Matchline TV, caused sharp rings around edges of objects, a

    > > Normal
    > > > top grade UHF coax cable did not..
    > > >

    > > > That is with a 8 meter cable..
    > > >

    > > Hmmmm, an 8m cable, prehaps that could be the problem. The loss on a

    long
    > > cable like that would be huge, not to mention impedence mismatches,
    > > reflections etc..... coax cable is designed for long runs whereas

    S-video
    > > cable is only desgined as an interconnect. Try the same experiment with

    > > shorter ie 1m cable and then tell us if it is crap or not.

    > Why are you taking any notice of Woger?

    Dunno really, maybe I am really bored :)

    Vogan, Oct 8, 2003