    utility, e.g. from Microsoft, that can do this?

    All help is appreciated!

    , Sep 23, 2006

  2. Bear Bottoms Guest

    On 23 Sep 2006 11:19:24 -0700, wrote:

    > How can I make calls from a PC to phone though the regular phone line
    > (NOT via internet). I can send fax though my modem that is connected to
    > the phone line, so I am sure that a simple utility could make the same
    > call for voice communication.
    >
    > If I remember correctly, older versions of windows had this utility
    > (under start -> programs -> accessories -> communications), but I
    > cannot see the same in windows XP. Does anyone know of a simple free
    > utility, e.g. from Microsoft, that can do this?
    >
    > All help is appreciated!

    This is as simple and almost the same as sending a fax. You do need a
    voice modem (a data/fax modem isn't good enough) and they usually come with
    telephony software in which you can do just that. WillowPhone is software
    which performs such a function.
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7443-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html
    --
    I research freeware: http://bearbottoms1.com

    Bear Bottoms, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    I understand a voice modem is needed for 2-way voice communication. Is
    there something for one way voice communication? The advantage of this
    is it should be possible with a regular modem and can be very useful
    for simple one way voice communication like when checking voice
    messages or accessing other voice based systems.
    I'm sure one-way voice should be possible with a regualr modem -- I can
    hear the voice message with my regular modem (when sending fax using a
    calling card).

    Any known utility for the above functionality? All help is appreciated.

    , Oct 3, 2006
  4. Brian Guest

    Gateway used to have a program like that on their system..BVRP. It would
    keep addresses, phone numbers etc....and you could call regular phones from
    your computer, record the conversations, make notes and if I remember right
    even fax at a certain time to minimize the toll cost ( when it mattered) I
    think you can purchase a similar program if not that one directly from
    Gateway or the vendor that made it for them

    Brian, Oct 5, 2006