PC-To-PC File Transfer Via USB Cable Quest.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Will be getting a new PC with XP.

    Would like to transfer many text files from my present (old W98 machine) PC
    to the new one utilizing a USB cable type of transfer.
    (for a variety of reasons, really don't want to physically transfer the HD)

    I don't mind letting the machines run all night to do it.

    My present machine has only USB 1 ports.

    Can I do this with an "ordinary" USB type cable from machine to machine,
    or is a special type of USB transfer cable required ? (if so,
    recommendations ?)
    What about software; needed ?

    I heard that XP has a built in program to do this.
    True ?

    What else should I be asking about how to do it ?
    Caveats or gotchas, etc. ?

    Much thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:49:04 -0500, "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >Will be getting a new PC with XP.
    >
    >Would like to transfer many text files from my present (old W98 machine) PC
    >to the new one utilizing a USB cable type of transfer.
    >(for a variety of reasons, really don't want to physically transfer the HD)
    >
    >I don't mind letting the machines run all night to do it.
    >
    >My present machine has only USB 1 ports.
    >
    >Can I do this with an "ordinary" USB type cable from machine to machine,
    >or is a special type of USB transfer cable required ? (if so,
    >recommendations ?)
    >What about software; needed ?
    >
    >I heard that XP has a built in program to do this.
    >True ?
    >
    >What else should I be asking about how to do it ?
    >Caveats or gotchas, etc. ?
    >
    >Much thanks,
    >Bob

    Networking Resources:
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304040

    The ideal way is to get a router/gateway like D-Link, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys,
    etc. Belkin & Netgear are available at any Staples outlet.) It provides a
    firewall on the WAN side to protect your shared files, it will allow you
    to share the internet connection, it will negotiate the PPPoE or other
    type of IP connection automatically (you don't need ANY connection
    software anymore), and doesn't cost much more than a good firewall.
    Unk, Nov 8, 2004