PC to Mac Network Help

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by SaraE LA, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. SaraE LA

    SaraE LA Guest

    Hello. I have never used these newsgroups, so I hope I'm posting in the right
    avenue. If not, please direct me to the correct place.

    Here is my dilemma. I am by no means a computer expert, so be gentle with
    me. I can navigate my way through, but I'm very rusty when it comes to
    networking, and now my husband has thrown a Mac in the mix and I'm lost.

    I have a desktop PC running Windows XP. Directly connected to that is our
    cable internet connection. It has a built-in wireless router. I have this one
    networked with another desktop PC also running Windows XP. I can see both
    computers no problem in my Network Neighborhood, and I can access the shared
    folders no problem.

    I have tried to set up my husband's Mac Book the same way. It is using the
    wireless connection with our internet and wireless router. I can see our PC's
    on the Mac no problem and access their shared folders and files.

    I cannot however see the Mac Book from either desktop PC's on the network. I
    have the file sharing turned on with the Mac Book, but I can't figure out how
    to access the Mac from our desktop PC's on the network.

    I have checked with apple.com and they give me directions on how to get the
    Mac to find the PC files. I'm not having a problem with that, I'm having the
    opposite problem, so I figured I would check with Mircrosoft.

    Through searching Microsoft, I found a lot of advanced technical articles
    that were way above my head, and a few newsgroup threads that ended with a
    dead end. This is why I'm posting this here.

    Any help that someone could give me would be great. Any links, resources,
    whatever you think would help me with my issue. I used to consider myself
    pretty computer savvy, but this PC/Mac/Wireless networking stuff has proved
    me wrong.

    Thank you.

    -- Sara

    SaraE LA, Mar 25, 2009