    What's the best way to load these files onto her device from my PC? I
    don't want to stuff up her system. Is there any way I can be sure the
    files play in the same order that they appear in my directory?
    Ummmmmmm......., Oct 2, 2012

  2. Ummmmmmm.......

    David Empson Guest

    Allistar <> wrote:

    > Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    >
    > > A friend is sending me her iPod so that I can copy MP3s of meditation
    > > tapes onto it, so she can play them in the car while commuting.
    > >
    > > The filenames start with 3 or 4 characters, so that when sorted in name
    > > order on a PC they play in chronological order. [ eg. file #1 is
    > > aaa_Boston_Nov1_2010, file #2 is aab_Boston_Nov5_2010 etc.]
    > >
    > > I'd like to keep this order on the iPod if possible, but I'm told (and
    > > Googling seems to confirm) that iPods have their own weird file system,
    > > and change filenames apparently at random.
    > >
    > > What's the best way to load these files onto her device from my PC? I
    > > don't want to stuff up her system. Is there any way I can be sure the
    > > files play in the same order that they appear in my directory?

    > It's possible that the natural order they appear on the iPod is based on the
    > "track number" field in the ID3 tag of the mp3. Manipulate that before
    > copying it to the iPod and see what happens.

    It is. The iPod (and iPhones, and iPads, and the iTunes software for
    Windows and Mac) relies on ID3 tags in MP3 and other audio file formats
    to display and sort details about tracks. The filename is completely
    ignored.

    You will need software which can set the ID3 tags. iTunes can do this,
    but I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives for that part of the
    problem.

    Set the 'album name' ID3 tag to a consistent value, give each an
    appropriate human readable 'title' tag, and set the 'track number' tags
    in the desired order, then the collection can be played as an album in
    the right order. (I'd also set the artist name to something sensible,
    and the number of tracks per album to a consistent value.)

    Getting the files onto the iPod from a computer generally requires
    iTunes, but it may be impractical to do this on a different computer
    without wiping everything on the iPod.

    The default configuration is that the iPod is synced to a specific
    installation of iTunes. Another installation of iTunes can't copy media
    onto the iPod without wiping it first. In this case you are best to send
    the MP3 files to the owner of the iPod, get them to add the files to
    their iTunes library, and then sync them to their iPod.

    An iPod can be configured to manage music manually, in which case any
    installation of iTunes can manage media on the iPod, but if it is not
    already in that mode then changing to it will wipe the current contents
    of the iPod.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Oct 3, 2012

  3. In article <1krdwih.15w2i4z262zw7N%>, (David Empson) wrote:
    >Allistar <> wrote:
    >> Ummmmmmm....... wrote:
    >> > A friend is sending me her iPod so that I can copy MP3s of meditation
    >> > tapes onto it, so she can play them in the car while commuting.
    >> >
    >> > The filenames start with 3 or 4 characters, so that when sorted in name
    >> > order on a PC they play in chronological order. [ eg. file #1 is
    >> > aaa_Boston_Nov1_2010, file #2 is aab_Boston_Nov5_2010 etc.]
    >> >
    >> > I'd like to keep this order on the iPod if possible, but I'm told (and
    >> > Googling seems to confirm) that iPods have their own weird file system,
    >> > and change filenames apparently at random.
    >> >
    >> > What's the best way to load these files onto her device from my PC? I
    >> > don't want to stuff up her system. Is there any way I can be sure the
    >> > files play in the same order that they appear in my directory?

    >> It's possible that the natural order they appear on the iPod is based on the
    >> "track number" field in the ID3 tag of the mp3. Manipulate that before
    >> copying it to the iPod and see what happens.

    >It is. The iPod (and iPhones, and iPads, and the iTunes software for
    >Windows and Mac) relies on ID3 tags in MP3 and other audio file formats
    >to display and sort details about tracks. The filename is completely
    >ignored.
    >
    >You will need software which can set the ID3 tags. iTunes can do this,
    >but I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives for that part of the
    >problem.
    >
    >Set the 'album name' ID3 tag to a consistent value, give each an
    >appropriate human readable 'title' tag, and set the 'track number' tags
    >in the desired order, then the collection can be played as an album in
    >the right order. (I'd also set the artist name to something sensible,
    >and the number of tracks per album to a consistent value.)
    >
    >Getting the files onto the iPod from a computer generally requires
    >iTunes, but it may be impractical to do this on a different computer
    >without wiping everything on the iPod.
    >
    >The default configuration is that the iPod is synced to a specific
    >installation of iTunes. Another installation of iTunes can't copy media
    >onto the iPod without wiping it first. In this case you are best to send
    >the MP3 files to the owner of the iPod, get them to add the files to
    >their iTunes library, and then sync them to their iPod.
    >
    >An iPod can be configured to manage music manually, in which case any
    >installation of iTunes can manage media on the iPod, but if it is not
    >already in that mode then changing to it will wipe the current contents
    >of the iPod.

    ... all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
    Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
    easier and apparently more logical ? :)

    Why then is it apparently so popular ?? :)

    Perhaps a better question might be ...

    What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
    Apple are clear :) ).

    Thanks
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 3, 2012
  4. Ummmmmmm.......

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 00:37:31 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    <Snip>

    > .. all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
    > Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
    > easier and apparently more logical ? :)
    >
    > Why then is it apparently so popular ?? :)
    >
    > Perhaps a better question might be ...
    >
    > What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
    > Apple are clear :) ).
    >
    > Thanks

    Shiny.
    You will look cool.
    People will see you as refined and worldly.
    Shiny
    Bret, Oct 3, 2012
  5. Ummmmmmm.......

    victor Guest

    On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
    > Apple are clear :) ).
    >
    > Thanks

    They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
    thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.
    There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
    replacement batteries are easy to come by.
    victor, Oct 3, 2012
  6. Ummmmmmm.......

    Richard Guest

    On 10/3/2012 1:37 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > .. all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
    > Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
    > easier and apparently more logical ? :)
    >
    > Why then is it apparently so popular ?? :)
    >
    > Perhaps a better question might be ...
    >
    > What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
    > Apple are clear :) ).

    Accessories, till the latest refresh a nice standardized dock connector
    in a sensible location vs the dicking around with a USB and 3.5mm plug
    neither of which can support the player that other devices have.

    Single connector and a propper line out are really useful on a player vs
    the amount of hassle to connect a USB and 3.5 to another phone/mp3 and
    then wedge it into some cheap generic holder in the car.
    Richard, Oct 3, 2012
  7. Ummmmmmm.......

    Enkidu Guest

    On 03/10/12 17:55, victor wrote:
    > On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >

    >> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the
    >> advantages for
    >> Apple are clear :) ).
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
    > thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.
    > There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
    > replacement batteries are easy to come by.

    iPods? Aren't the batteries soldered in? Don't you invalidate any
    warranty if you crack the case open.

    Besides, those things are dangerous!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On9N0D0IF_A

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 3, 2012
  8. Ummmmmmm.......

    David Empson Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > On 03/10/12 17:55, victor wrote:
    > > On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > >

    > >> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the
    > >> advantages for
    > >> Apple are clear :) ).
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > > They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
    > > thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.
    > > There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
    > > replacement batteries are easy to come by.
    > >

    > iPods? Aren't the batteries soldered in? Don't you invalidate any
    > warranty if you crack the case open.

    Depends on the model. The original/classic iPod and iPod Mini have a
    readily removable battery and no soldering is required (the only
    complication is having the right tools to get the case open).

    All other models (Touch, Shuffle, Nano) require soldering and/or are
    difficult to open without breaking the device.

    I would be surprised if anyone needed to replace the battery in the
    first year, or even the second year, so warranty shouldn't be a
    consideration.
    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Oct 3, 2012
  9. In article <yife8b8esiko.ni86206ut3tk$>, Bret <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 00:37:31 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    ><Snip>
    >>
    >> .. all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
    >> Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
    >> easier and apparently more logical ? :)
    >>
    >> Why then is it apparently so popular ?? :)
    >>
    >> Perhaps a better question might be ...
    >>
    >> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
    >> Apple are clear :) ).
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Shiny.
    >You will look cool.
    >People will see you as refined and worldly.
    >Shiny

    Ah. Marketing. Which leads to ...
    A joke ...

    how do you know if people have a new ipad/phone ???

    They will tell you. :)

    Sad but true. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 3, 2012
  10. In article <k4ggg3$ku6$>, victor <> wrote:
    >On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
    >> Apple are clear :) ).
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
    >thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.

    Do other products not do this ? The "how is the apple product better"
    question remains. :)

    >There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
    >replacement batteries are easy to come by.

    Yet ... IIRC, the ipad 5 won't fit any of those accesories as apple have
    changed the connector. Again, how does this benefit me as the consumer ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 3, 2012
  11. In article <1krevfa.1pvo9gs119ot8sN%>, (David Empson) wrote:
    >Enkidu <> wrote:

    >> > They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
    >> > thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.
    >> > There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
    >> > replacement batteries are easy to come by.
    >> >

    >> iPods? Aren't the batteries soldered in? Don't you invalidate any
    >> warranty if you crack the case open.

    >Depends on the model. The original/classic iPod and iPod Mini have a
    >readily removable battery and no soldering is required (the only
    >complication is having the right tools to get the case open).
    >
    >All other models (Touch, Shuffle, Nano) require soldering and/or are
    >difficult to open without breaking the device.

    So ... the early models were well designed then (apart from needing special
    tools :) ) ? :)

    >I would be surprised if anyone needed to replace the battery in the
    >first year, or even the second year, so warranty shouldn't be a
    >consideration.

    What would be a fair time for them to last do you think ? At a few hundred
    $$$ for some of them, I would want a minimum of 5 years. That makes the
    whole soldering thing a real design flaw. Not, I hasten to add, a marketing
    flaw at all ... but the colour will be well passe after 5 years so you'll
    need a new one before then anyway ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 3, 2012
  12. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    (snip)
    >> .. all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
    >> Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
    >> easier and apparently more logical ? :)
    >>
    >> Why then is it apparently so popular ?? :)
    >>
    >> Perhaps a better question might be ...
    >>
    >> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages
    >> for Apple are clear :) ).

    >An iPod Touch is much more than a media player. It's like an iPhone without
    >the ability to connect to the cellular network. It's an email client, a
    >eBook reader, a Google Earth interface, a web browser and a fun gaming
    >machine.

    That's all very well, but ... how is the apple product better for me as a
    consumer than competing products ?

    I am reminded of the "I want an iphone" video, where the customer wants an
    iphone despite it not actually meeting her specifications. :)

    The isuite still seems like a triumph of marketing over reality to me in
    much the same way as mcdonalds "food". :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 3, 2012
  13. In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >In article <k4g1cb$qqg$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> .. all of which leaves the elephant in the room question ...
    >> Why would anyone use one of these things when other players are cheaper
    >> easier and apparently more logical ? :)
    >>
    >> Why then is it apparently so popular ?? :)
    >>
    >> Perhaps a better question might be ...
    >>
    >> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
    >> Apple are clear :) ).
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >pre-empted my own rethorical question ;-)
    >
    >I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.
    >1) gadget addiction
    >2) "cool accessory" factor and status symbol
    >
    >or
    >
    >3) "how gauche" (that's me thinking)
    >
    >After the class-action suit in the US against the ipod makers over the
    >batteries issue, and the way restitution was handled (not, or very
    >badly, in may cases) I would not go near an ipod_4_sale myself.

    :)

    "Marketing" seems to be a popular theme in the helpful replies so far. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 3, 2012
  14. Ummmmmmm.......

    David Empson Guest

    Bruce Sinclair <>
    wrote:

    > In article <1krevfa.1pvo9gs119ot8sN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:

    > >> iPods? Aren't the batteries soldered in? Don't you invalidate any
    > >> warranty if you crack the case open.

    > >Depends on the model. The original/classic iPod and iPod Mini have a
    > >readily removable battery and no soldering is required (the only
    > >complication is having the right tools to get the case open).
    > >
    > >All other models (Touch, Shuffle, Nano) require soldering and/or are
    > >difficult to open without breaking the device.

    > So ... the early models were well designed then (apart from needing special
    > tools :) ) ? :)

    The iPod Classic is a current model (depending on how you count them,
    about the seventh generation of the original model).

    The more miniaturised/compact the device, the harder it is to replace
    the battery. People buying them seem to like small devices and don't
    seem to care about being unable to replace the battery themselves.

    I'm sure Apple service agents can replace the battery, but it is likely
    to cost enough for the lower end models that it is not worth it. I doubt
    they even bother for the iPod Shuffle.

    > >I would be surprised if anyone needed to replace the battery in the
    > >first year, or even the second year, so warranty shouldn't be a
    > >consideration.

    > What would be a fair time for them to last do you think ?

    I have a three and a bit year old iPhone which still works fine on its
    original battery (it is starting to feel like it is a little shorter
    than when it was new), and an eight year old iPod which doesn't last
    long on its original battery (but these days I only use it plugged into
    the car so I haven't bothered to replace the battery).

    > At a few hundred $$$ for some of them, I would want a minimum of 5 years.

    According to their web site, Apple is currently rating iPod and iPhone
    batteries at 400 charge cycles before they drop to 80% of their original
    capacity (don't know offhand if that was true historically or just for
    recent models).

    If you used the iPod or iPhone's full battery capacity and recharged it
    every day, the battery life would be somewhat reduced in the second
    year, but if you only used part of the battery capacity each day it
    would last longer before reaching that point.

    They don't specify what happens after that, but I expect the operating
    time would continue to decline. Five years of heavy use on the original
    battery isn't likely, but five years of light use (or mixed
    powered/battery use) is quite possible.

    The iPad and integrated batteries in recent Mac notebooks are rated for
    1000 charge cycles before reaching the 80% point, so they should last
    three years even with a full daily discharge/recharge cycle, and longer
    than five years with moderate use on battery.

    Lithium-ion batteries have aging effects as well, so even with light use
    they would be showing signs of reduced life after five years.
    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Oct 4, 2012
  15. Ummmmmmm.......

    victor Guest

    On 4/10/2012 11:33 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <k4ggg3$ku6$>, victor <> wrote:
    >> On 3/10/2012 1:37 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> What advantages would an ipod have for me as a user ? (as the advantages for
    >>> Apple are clear :) ).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> They work very well for podcasts and audiobooks if you like that sort of
    >> thing. You can keep your place and bookmarks.

    > Do other products not do this ? The "how is the apple product better"
    > question remains. :)

    They might. There might even be some that are cheaper.
    Apple's advantage is their network effect, the audiobooks and podcasts
    are designed for ipods, the other products have to follow them.

    >> There are plenty of third party accessories for them. Tools and
    >> replacement batteries are easy to come by.

    > Yet ... IIRC, the ipad 5 won't fit any of those accesories as apple have
    > changed the connector. Again, how does this benefit me as the consumer ? :)

    I expect there will be an adapter
    victor, Oct 4, 2012
  16. Ummmmmmm.......

    freshair

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    you could try the free taghycardia utility. it is a special tagger for the cases like this.
    freshair, Nov 15, 2012