    time with "atomic clock" the time switches to that on the office server.
    Is there a way to maintain the correct time? Will appreciate help.
    ps
    PS, May 12, 2005

  2. "PS" <> wrote in message
    news:42832385$0$10301$...
    > My laptop switches time to server time each time I log on. Even after I
    > sync
    > time with "atomic clock" the time switches to that on the office server.
    > Is there a way to maintain the correct time? Will appreciate help.

    Run your little time sync program after you logon to the Domain server and
    be done with it.

    Duane :)
    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 12, 2005

  3. PS wrote:
    > My laptop switches time to server time each time I log on. Even after

    I sync
    > time with "atomic clock" the time switches to that on the office

    server.
    > Is there a way to maintain the correct time? Will appreciate help.
    > ps

    This is perfectly normal. Any workstation will sync with domain time on
    logon. Why is it a problem?
    Jeroen Wijnands, May 12, 2005
  4. PS

    Dave Lear Guest

    "PS" <> wrote in message

    > My laptop switches time to server time each time I log on. Even after I
    > sync
    > time with "atomic clock" the time switches to that on the office server.
    > Is there a way to maintain the correct time? Will appreciate help.

    Any Win2000Pro / WinXP Pro workstation connecting to a Win2000 / Win2003
    Active Directory domain will synchronise its time with the Domain Controller
    operating the Master Time Server NTP (Network Time Protocol) FSMO (File
    Server Master of Operations) task.

    The reasoning behind this is because Kerberos authentication uses the
    current time as an input for its encryption algorithm and therefore if the
    workstation's time is too far out from the authenticating Domain
    Controller's time then the Kerberos authentication will fail, i.e. you won't
    be able to successfully access server shares / resources.

    If your workstation's clock is wrong after it synchs with the Domain
    Controller with the NTP FSMO this would suggest that the clock on that
    Domain Controller is wrong. Ask one of your SysAdmins to correct the clock
    manually, or work out why the NTP FSMO isn't synching its own clock with an
    external clock server such as time.windows.com
    Dave Lear, May 12, 2005