    camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.

    Will this method also work with digital cameras that do not have pc
    terminals built into the body?

    Webgirl Wendy, Apr 17, 2008

  2. (Webgirl Wendy) wrote:
    >Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
    >does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
    >camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.

    What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 17, 2008

  3. Jürgen Exner wrote:

    > (Webgirl Wendy) wrote:
    >>Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
    >>does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
    >>camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.

    > What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

    Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
    socket.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 17, 2008
  4. Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >
    >> (Webgirl Wendy) wrote:
    >>>Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
    >>>does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
    >>>camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.

    >> What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

    >Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
    >socket.
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

    Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
    'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
    computer.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 17, 2008
  5. Webgirl Wendy

    Roy G Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >>Jürgen Exner wrote:

    >>> What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

    >>Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
    >>socket.
    >>
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

    > Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
    > 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
    > computer.
    >
    > jue

    Hi.

    Mr Gates and IBM should have known that "PC" had already been in use for
    many years to describe a co-axial socket for Flash Guns.

    They should have used another abreviation.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Apr 17, 2008
  6. Webgirl Wendy

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Webgirl
    Wendy <> wrote:

    > Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
    > does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
    > camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.
    >
    > Will this method also work with digital cameras that do not have pc
    > terminals built into the body?

    if the camera has a hotshoe it will work fine. the only issue is the
    trigger voltage of the flash. if the trigger voltage is higher than
    what the camera can handle, you might damage the camera.

    here's a list of trigger voltages, but some flashes vary so it's best
    to test the one you are using.
    <http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>

    or, to be perfectly safe, get a wein safe sync for your hotshoe.

    nospam, Apr 17, 2008
  7. On Apr 17, 5:18 am, "Roy G" <> wrote:
    > "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message

    > > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > >>Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
    > >>socket.

    > >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

    > > Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
    > > 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
    > > computer.

    > > jue

    > Hi.
    >
    > Mr Gates and IBM should have known that "PC" had already been in use for
    > many years to describe a co-axial socket for Flash Guns.
    >
    > They should have used another abreviation.
    >
    > Roy G

    So should the folks who coined the expression "politically correct."

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Apr 17, 2008
  8. I was asked which camera I was considing...it is the new Canon XSI.

    Webgirl Wendy, Apr 17, 2008
  9. Jürgen Exner wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >>Jürgen Exner wrote:

    >>> What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

    >>Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
    >>socket.
    >>
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

    > Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
    > 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
    > computer.

    Context is king. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 17, 2008
  10. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>> Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
    >>> socket.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

    >> Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
    >> 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
    >> computer.

    > Context is king. ;)

    PC = Phrase Context? <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 17, 2008
  11. David J Taylor wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Jürgen Exner wrote:

    >>> Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
    >>> 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
    >>> computer.

    >> Context is king. ;)

    > PC = Phrase Context? <G>

    Perceive Context! ;)