pc takes forever to boot.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by heavenbound, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    this for a pc and it takes 3 minutes or more to boot. here is
    the specs and what i tried to fix it.

    P3/850
    512mb ram
    10-15gb hard drive
    dvdrom only
    gf 256 video
    sb live sound card
    no nic
    19" monitor acer
    normal keyboard and mouse

    1: had router, cable modem, nic in the pc.
    2: install windows xp
    3: booted fine, under 2 minutes easy. set up and it worked ok.
    4: took out the nic cus it was mine and i needed it, but i had it there so
    he could get on broadband for downloading all MS window updates instead of
    over slow dial up modem.
    5: pc now takes 3 or more minutes to boot. just sits there at the windows xp
    logo screen with the scrolling left to right blue bar thingy. thinking maybe
    it was looking for a network, but not find one is why it took so long.
    6: put nic back in same problem.
    7: reinstalled windows xp with no nic or anything.
    8: still takes 3 minutes or so to boot and it should take less then 2 easy.
    what is odd is first time i installed win xp it was fine, then took out nic,
    not good. put back everything still slow boot time.

    what's going on here? not running any start up programs or processes. just a
    standard windows xp install.

    heavenbound, Jun 6, 2004

  2. heavenbound

    The Prophecy Guest

    heavenbound wrote:
    > this for a pc and it takes 3 minutes or more to boot. here is
    > the specs and what i tried to fix it.
    >
    > P3/850
    > 512mb ram
    > 10-15gb hard drive
    > dvdrom only
    > gf 256 video
    > sb live sound card
    > no nic
    > 19" monitor acer
    > normal keyboard and mouse
    >
    > 1: had router, cable modem, nic in the pc.
    > 2: install windows xp
    > 3: booted fine, under 2 minutes easy. set up and it worked ok.
    > 4: took out the nic cus it was mine and i needed it, but i had it
    > there so he could get on broadband for downloading all MS window
    > updates instead of over slow dial up modem.
    > 5: pc now takes 3 or more minutes to boot. just sits there at the
    > windows xp logo screen with the scrolling left to right blue bar
    > thingy. thinking maybe it was looking for a network, but not find one
    > is why it took so long. 6: put nic back in same problem.
    > 7: reinstalled windows xp with no nic or anything.
    > 8: still takes 3 minutes or so to boot and it should take less then 2
    > easy. what is odd is first time i installed win xp it was fine, then
    > took out nic, not good. put back everything still slow boot time.
    >
    > what's going on here? not running any start up programs or processes.
    > just a standard windows xp install.

    Does it seem to delay at one specific part of the boot up process (e.g. the
    Welcome screen) for a minute or 2? Or does it just seem to go consistently
    slow the whole time?

    The Prophecy, Jun 7, 2004

  3. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > heavenbound wrote:
    > > this for a pc and it takes 3 minutes or more to boot. here is
    > > the specs and what i tried to fix it.
    > >
    > > P3/850
    > > 512mb ram
    > > 10-15gb hard drive
    > > dvdrom only
    > > gf 256 video
    > > sb live sound card
    > > no nic
    > > 19" monitor acer
    > > normal keyboard and mouse
    > >
    > > 1: had router, cable modem, nic in the pc.
    > > 2: install windows xp
    > > 3: booted fine, under 2 minutes easy. set up and it worked ok.
    > > 4: took out the nic cus it was mine and i needed it, but i had it
    > > there so he could get on broadband for downloading all MS window
    > > updates instead of over slow dial up modem.
    > > 5: pc now takes 3 or more minutes to boot. just sits there at the
    > > windows xp logo screen with the scrolling left to right blue bar
    > > thingy. thinking maybe it was looking for a network, but not find one
    > > is why it took so long. 6: put nic back in same problem.
    > > 7: reinstalled windows xp with no nic or anything.
    > > 8: still takes 3 minutes or so to boot and it should take less then 2
    > > easy. what is odd is first time i installed win xp it was fine, then
    > > took out nic, not good. put back everything still slow boot time.
    > >
    > > what's going on here? not running any start up programs or processes.
    > > just a standard windows xp install.

    > Does it seem to delay at one specific part of the boot up process (e.g.

    the
    > Welcome screen) for a minute or 2? Or does it just seem to go consistently
    > slow the whole time?

    you know the screen durring start up that has the windows logo and the bar
    is scrolling left to right with those little squares? that screen is just
    sitting there for 3 miutes or so and then finally loads the desktop. so i
    guess that's the boot screen

    heavenbound, Jun 7, 2004
  4. heavenbound

    colin Guest

    heavenbound <> wrote in message

    > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > > heavenbound wrote:
    > > > this for a pc and it takes 3 minutes or more to boot. here is
    > > > the specs and what i tried to fix it.
    > > >
    > > > P3/850
    > > > 512mb ram
    > > > 10-15gb hard drive
    > > > dvdrom only
    > > > gf 256 video
    > > > sb live sound card
    > > > no nic
    > > > 19" monitor acer
    > > > normal keyboard and mouse
    > > >
    > > > 1: had router, cable modem, nic in the pc.
    > > > 2: install windows xp
    > > > 3: booted fine, under 2 minutes easy. set up and it worked ok.
    > > > 4: took out the nic cus it was mine and i needed it, but i had it
    > > > there so he could get on broadband for downloading all MS window
    > > > updates instead of over slow dial up modem.
    > > > 5: pc now takes 3 or more minutes to boot. just sits there at the
    > > > windows xp logo screen with the scrolling left to right blue bar
    > > > thingy. thinking maybe it was looking for a network, but not find one
    > > > is why it took so long. 6: put nic back in same problem.
    > > > 7: reinstalled windows xp with no nic or anything.
    > > > 8: still takes 3 minutes or so to boot and it should take less then 2
    > > > easy. what is odd is first time i installed win xp it was fine, then
    > > > took out nic, not good. put back everything still slow boot time.
    > > >
    > > > what's going on here? not running any start up programs or processes.
    > > > just a standard windows xp install.

    > > Does it seem to delay at one specific part of the boot up process (e.g.

    > the
    > > Welcome screen) for a minute or 2? Or does it just seem to go

    consistently
    > > slow the whole time?
    > >

    > you know the screen durring start up that has the windows logo and the bar
    > is scrolling left to right with those little squares? that screen is just
    > sitting there for 3 miutes or so and then finally loads the desktop. so i
    > guess that's the boot screen

    For testing purposes; put your network-card back in and assign it a static
    ip-address, and then see if it makes any difference to the boot-time.

    colin, Jun 7, 2004
  5. heavenbound

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:09:36 -0700, "heavenbound" <> wrote:

    >this for a pc and it takes 3 minutes or more to boot. here is
    >the specs and what i tried to fix it.
    >
    >P3/850
    >512mb ram
    >10-15gb hard drive
    >dvdrom only
    >gf 256 video
    >sb live sound card
    >no nic
    >19" monitor acer
    >normal keyboard and mouse
    >
    >1: had router, cable modem, nic in the pc.
    >2: install windows xp
    >3: booted fine, under 2 minutes easy. set up and it worked ok.
    >4: took out the nic cus it was mine and i needed it, but i had it there so
    >he could get on broadband for downloading all MS window updates instead of
    >over slow dial up modem.
    >5: pc now takes 3 or more minutes to boot. just sits there at the windows xp
    >logo screen with the scrolling left to right blue bar thingy. thinking maybe
    >it was looking for a network, but not find one is why it took so long.

    Yes...that is probably the reason.

    >6: put nic back in same problem.

    And the modem and router?

    >7: reinstalled windows xp with no nic or anything.

    Partitioned and formatted?...or just installed over what you had?

    >8: still takes 3 minutes or so to boot and it should take less then 2 easy.
    >what is odd is first time i installed win xp it was fine, then took out nic,
    >not good. put back everything still slow boot time.
    >
    >what's going on here? not running any start up programs or processes. just a
    >standard windows xp install.

    You've got some network stuff still running.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

    Trent©, Jun 7, 2004
  6. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:09:36 -0700, "heavenbound" <> wrote:
    >
    > >this for a pc and it takes 3 minutes or more to boot. here is
    > >the specs and what i tried to fix it.
    > >
    > >P3/850
    > >512mb ram
    > >10-15gb hard drive
    > >dvdrom only
    > >gf 256 video
    > >sb live sound card
    > >no nic
    > >19" monitor acer
    > >normal keyboard and mouse
    > >
    > >1: had router, cable modem, nic in the pc.
    > >2: install windows xp
    > >3: booted fine, under 2 minutes easy. set up and it worked ok.
    > >4: took out the nic cus it was mine and i needed it, but i had it there

    so
    > >he could get on broadband for downloading all MS window updates instead

    of
    > >over slow dial up modem.
    > >5: pc now takes 3 or more minutes to boot. just sits there at the windows

    xp
    > >logo screen with the scrolling left to right blue bar thingy. thinking

    maybe
    > >it was looking for a network, but not find one is why it took so long.

    > Yes...that is probably the reason.
    >
    > >6: put nic back in same problem.

    > And the modem and router?
    >
    > >7: reinstalled windows xp with no nic or anything.

    > Partitioned and formatted?...or just installed over what you had?
    >
    > >8: still takes 3 minutes or so to boot and it should take less then 2

    easy.
    > >what is odd is first time i installed win xp it was fine, then took out

    nic,
    > >not good. put back everything still slow boot time.
    > >
    > >what's going on here? not running any start up programs or processes.

    just a
    > >standard windows xp install.

    > You've got some network stuff still running.
    >

    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent©
    >
    > Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

    There is no network stuff running cus i told in my message i did a reformat
    reinstall with nothing in it. that is the last thing i did.

    heavenbound, Jun 7, 2004
  7. heavenbound

    Wiz Guest

    Probably still looking for network. Remove everything networking.

    Wiz, Jun 7, 2004
  8. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    "Wiz" <> wrote in message
    > Probably still looking for network. Remove everything networking.
    >
    > heavenbound wrote:
    > >
    > > this for a pc and it takes 3 minutes or more to boot. here is
    > > the specs and what i tried to fix it.
    > >
    > > P3/850
    > > 512mb ram
    > > 10-15gb hard drive
    > > dvdrom only
    > > gf 256 video
    > > sb live sound card
    > > no nic
    > > 19" monitor acer
    > > normal keyboard and mouse
    > >
    > > 1: had router, cable modem, nic in the pc.
    > > 2: install windows xp
    > > 3: booted fine, under 2 minutes easy. set up and it worked ok.
    > > 4: took out the nic cus it was mine and i needed it, but i had it there

    so
    > > he could get on broadband for downloading all MS window updates instead

    of
    > > over slow dial up modem.
    > > 5: pc now takes 3 or more minutes to boot. just sits there at the

    windows xp
    > > logo screen with the scrolling left to right blue bar thingy. thinking

    maybe
    > > it was looking for a network, but not find one is why it took so long.
    > > 6: put nic back in same problem.
    > > 7: reinstalled windows xp with no nic or anything.
    > > 8: still takes 3 minutes or so to boot and it should take less then 2

    easy.
    > > what is odd is first time i installed win xp it was fine, then took out

    nic,
    > > not good. put back everything still slow boot time.
    > >
    > > what's going on here? not running any start up programs or processes.

    just a
    > > standard windows xp install.

    there is no networking. no nic, no nothing.

    heavenbound, Jun 7, 2004
  9. heavenbound

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:43:12 -0700, "heavenbound" <> wrote:

    >There is no network stuff running cus i told in my message i did a reformat
    >reinstall with nothing in it. that is the last thing i did.

    You never said anything about a reformat...that's why I asked you.

    Have you done a defrag yet?

    If the defrag didn't/doesn't help, get a utility called

    bootvis 1.3.37.msi

    from the MSFT site...and run that.

    Good luck.

    Trent©, Jun 8, 2004
  10. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:43:12 -0700, "heavenbound" <> wrote:
    >

    > >There is no network stuff running cus i told in my message i did a

    reformat
    > >reinstall with nothing in it. that is the last thing i did.

    > You never said anything about a reformat...that's why I asked you.
    >
    > Have you done a defrag yet?
    >
    > If the defrag didn't/doesn't help, get a utility called
    >
    > bootvis 1.3.37.msi
    >
    > from the MSFT site...and run that.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >

    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent©
    >
    > Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

    what i did was put in windows xp cd, reformat and install windows xp. it
    takes 3 minutes to boot. why? no nic installed, no nothing. so a defrag wont
    do a thing since i just installed windows and it takes forever to boot.

    heavenbound, Jun 8, 2004
  11. heavenbound

    The Prophecy Guest

    heavenbound wrote:
    > "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:43:12 -0700, "heavenbound" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> There is no network stuff running cus i told in my message i did a
    >>> reformat reinstall with nothing in it. that is the last thing i did.

    >> You never said anything about a reformat...that's why I asked you.
    >>
    >> Have you done a defrag yet?
    >>
    >> If the defrag didn't/doesn't help, get a utility called
    >>
    >> bootvis 1.3.37.msi
    >>
    >> from the MSFT site...and run that.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>

    >> Have a nice week...
    >>
    >> Trent©
    >>
    >> Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
    >>

    > what i did was put in windows xp cd, reformat and install windows xp.
    > it takes 3 minutes to boot. why? no nic installed, no nothing. so a
    > defrag wont do a thing since i just installed windows and it takes
    > forever to boot.

    Somebody may have already suggested this.... put your network card back in
    and see if it takes 3 minutes to boot.....

    The Prophecy, Jun 8, 2004
  12. heavenbound

    > heavenbound wrote:
    > > "Trent©" <> wrote in message

    > >> You never said anything about a reformat...that's why I asked you.
    > >>
    > >> Have you done a defrag yet?
    > >>
    > >> If the defrag didn't/doesn't help, get a utility called
    > >>
    > >> bootvis 1.3.37.msi
    > >>
    > >> from the MSFT site...and run that.
    > >>
    > >> Good luck.
    > >>

    > >> Have a nice week...
    > >>
    > >> Trent©
    > >>
    > >> Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
    > >>

    > > what i did was put in windows xp cd, reformat and install windows xp.
    > > it takes 3 minutes to boot. why? no nic installed, no nothing. so a
    > > defrag wont do a thing since i just installed windows and it takes
    > > forever to boot.

    > Somebody may have already suggested this.... put your network card back in
    > and see if it takes 3 minutes to boot.....

    The problem here is i have already done that and it did take long time to
    boot.

    1: install windows with nic, router and cable modem. booted fine.
    2: took nic out and it take long time to boot.
    3: put nic in and still take long time to boot.
    4: took nic out, reformat and install windows xp with nothing there.
    still take long time to boot. so a fresh clean install with nothing there it
    takes forever to boot. i don't know why.

    heavenbound, Jun 8, 2004
  13. heavenbound

    > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > > heavenbound wrote:
    > > > "Trent©" <> wrote in message

    > > > what i did was put in windows xp cd, reformat and install windows xp.
    > > > it takes 3 minutes to boot. why? no nic installed, no nothing. so a
    > > > defrag wont do a thing since i just installed windows and it takes
    > > > forever to boot.

    > > Somebody may have already suggested this.... put your network card back

    in
    > > and see if it takes 3 minutes to boot.....
    > >

    > The problem here is i have already done that and it did take long time to
    > boot.
    >
    > 1: install windows with nic, router and cable modem. booted fine.
    > 2: took nic out and it take long time to boot.
    > 3: put nic in and still take long time to boot.
    > 4: took nic out, reformat and install windows xp with nothing there.
    > still take long time to boot. so a fresh clean install with nothing there

    it
    > takes forever to boot. i don't know why.

    Could this system perhaps have an in-built nic that you may have overlooked?

    colin, Jun 8, 2004
  14. heavenbound

    nunu Guest

    hi,

    i have a feeling your harddrive is misbehaving!!!!

    try another drive

    good luck

    nunu, Jun 8, 2004
  15. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    "colin" <> wrote in message

    > heavenbound <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message

    did.

    xp.

    > > > Somebody may have already suggested this.... put your network card

    back
    > in
    > > > and see if it takes 3 minutes to boot.....
    > > >

    > > The problem here is i have already done that and it did take long time

    > > boot.
    > >
    > > 1: install windows with nic, router and cable modem. booted fine.
    > > 2: took nic out and it take long time to boot.
    > > 3: put nic in and still take long time to boot.
    > > 4: took nic out, reformat and install windows xp with nothing there.
    > > still take long time to boot. so a fresh clean install with nothing

    there
    > it
    > > takes forever to boot. i don't know why.
    > >

    > Could this system perhaps have an in-built nic that you may have

    overlooked?

    nope, it has none onboard.

    heavenbound, Jun 9, 2004
  16. heavenbound

    heavenbound Guest

    "nunu" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > i have a feeling your harddrive is misbehaving!!!!
    >
    > try another drive
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > avenbound" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Wiz" <> wrote in message
    > > > Probably still looking for network. Remove everything networking.

    > there
    > > so

    > instead
    > > of

    > > windows xp

    thinking
    > > maybe

    long.

    2
    > > easy.

    > out
    > > nic,

    processes.
    > > just a

    > > there is no networking. no nic, no nothing.

    why do you think the drive might be weirding out?

    heavenbound, Jun 9, 2004
  17. heavenbound

    The Prophecy Guest

    <snip>

    > why do you think the drive might be weirding out?

    It's not. If the HD was bad, you would either: a. hear it because the drive
    would become very noisy, or b. Would not be able to boot at all. Or possibly
    both.

    The Prophecy, Jun 9, 2004
  18. heavenbound

    Thor Guest

    > <snip>
    >
    > > why do you think the drive might be weirding out?

    > It's not. If the HD was bad, you would either: a. hear it because the

    drive
    > would become very noisy, or b. Would not be able to boot at all. Or

    possibly both

    nonsense. There are a variety of situations where the drive could have
    neither symptom you mentioned, yet could be going bad.

    Thor, Jun 9, 2004
  19. heavenbound

    The Prophecy Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> why do you think the drive might be weirding out?

    >> It's not. If the HD was bad, you would either: a. hear it because
    >> the drive would become very noisy, or b. Would not be able to boot
    >> at all. Or possibly both

    > nonsense. There are a variety of situations where the drive could have
    > neither symptom you mentioned, yet could be going bad.

    Really? Then enlighten me...

    The Prophecy, Jun 9, 2004
  20. heavenbound

    Thor Guest

    > Thor wrote:
    > > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > >> <snip>

    > >> It's not. If the HD was bad, you would either: a. hear it because
    > >> the drive would become very noisy, or b. Would not be able to boot
    > >> at all. Or possibly both

    > > nonsense. There are a variety of situations where the drive could have
    > > neither symptom you mentioned, yet could be going bad.

    > Really? Then enlighten me...

    So you think drive failure symptoms are limited to noise, and bootup
    failure?

    1. bad sectors
    Bad sectors can appear anywhere on the data surfaces of the drive. They
    needn't be only in boot areas or even where critical system files reside,
    and therefore wouldn't necessarily cause slow bootup, or a non-bootup
    situation, yet they can be a sign of impending drive failure. Since they can
    be anywhere, they may lie undiscovered until something attempts to write or
    read data at that location. If the swapfile occupies a failing area of the
    drive, it can result in crashes.

    2. Logic board malfunction
    The drive's logic board can experience problems that may, or may not exhibit
    themselves exclusively as boot up problems. They could result in any number
    of the following issues.

    4. Excessive Spin-up time
    5. read error rates
    6. write error rates
    7. Seek error rates
    8. CRC error count

    just to name a few.

    Many of these are items that SMART monitoring is designed to check, and if
    they move out of spec, they can trigger a SMART alert that may indicate that
    the drive may be on it's way out. Often times, SMART predicts imminent drive
    failure, before any obvious symptoms (like the two you mentioned) even
    appear. This is predicted by looking at several other indicators of the
    drive's fitness, and performance that aren't necessarily obvious or
    noticeable to the user. So you can see that there are a number of things
    that can be out of whack that can indicate a failure or impending failure,
    yet no noise, or bootup failure has yet occurred. A harddrive can go "bad"
    without ever experiencing a boot failure, or excessive noise.

    Thor, Jun 9, 2004