    once running it all seems to be working fine.

    any ideas or more info needed?

    angie

    nuttytart in cyberspace, Aug 7, 2006

  2. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...
    >hi all,
    >pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
    >
    >hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
    >
    >it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
    >
    >once running it all seems to be working fine.
    >
    >any ideas or more info needed?
    >
    >angie

    Not sure if this will help you or not but my PC was also taking forever to boot.
    Well it went through the device checking ok but the operating system, Windows 98
    took quite literally 10 minutes to go from startup screen to being all ready to
    use. This is on a Pentium 3 - 1 GHz / 256MB RAM which is a bit dated but still
    adequate. So I solved the problem by running FDISK to reformat the hard disk,
    and then I installed Windows 3.1 on it and now everything runs great.
    Otherwise, sometimes reformatting and reinstalling the same OS helps get rid of
    junk files that have accumulated over time, but I think 3.1 is way better than
    98 anyway.

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 7, 2006

  3. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Duane Arnold Guest

    nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
    > hi all,
    > pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
    >
    > hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
    >
    > it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
    >
    > once running it all seems to be working fine.
    >
    > any ideas or more info needed?
    >
    > angie

    It would be nice if you made mention of the O/S.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 7, 2006
  4. "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    > nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
    >> hi all,
    >> pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
    >>
    >> hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
    >>
    >> it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
    >>
    >> once running it all seems to be working fine.
    >>
    >> any ideas or more info needed?
    >>
    >> angie

    > It would be nice if you made mention of the O/S.
    >
    > Duane :)

    i'm not very good at this am i? :eek:)

    o/s is xp professional

    i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the same
    symptoms

    angie

    nuttytart in cyberspace, Aug 7, 2006
  5. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Duane Arnold Guest

    nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
    > "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    >
    >>nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
    >>
    >>>hi all,
    >>>pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
    >>>
    >>>hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
    >>>
    >>>it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
    >>>
    >>>once running it all seems to be working fine.
    >>>
    >>>any ideas or more info needed?
    >>>
    >>>angie

    >>It would be nice if you made mention of the O/S.
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > i'm not very good at this am i? :eek:)
    >
    > o/s is xp professional
    >
    > i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the same
    > symptoms
    >
    > angie

    What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 7, 2006
  6. "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    > nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
    >> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message

    >>>It would be nice if you made mention of the O/S.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)

    >> i'm not very good at this am i? :eek:)
    >>
    >> o/s is xp professional
    >>
    >> i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the
    >> same symptoms
    >>
    >> angie

    > What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?
    >
    > Duane :)

    NTFS
    best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night :eek:)

    nuttytart in cyberspace, Aug 7, 2006
  7. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Duane Arnold Guest

    nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
    > "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    >
    >>nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message

    >>>i'm not very good at this am i? :eek:)
    >>>
    >>>o/s is xp professional
    >>>
    >>>i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the
    >>>same symptoms
    >>>
    >>>angie

    >>What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > NTFS
    > best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night :eek:)

    To be honest, I think you have some kind of malware problem on the
    machines, particularly so, if the second machine is slowing down too.

    But you could try Error-Checking on the Volumn first to see if it's
    detecting errors, which you use Explorer and right-click the drive
    letter and select Properties/Tools.

    You can also scan the machine with Trend Micro House calls an on-line
    scanner that detects thing that an AV running on the machine may have
    missed.

    You can also post to an AV NG as they can give you other tools you can
    use to detected malware that the AV on the machine has missed, if you
    don't get advice from someone else here.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 7, 2006
  8. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...

    >"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    >> nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
    >>> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message

    >>> i'm not very good at this am i? :eek:)
    >>>
    >>> o/s is xp professional
    >>>
    >>> i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the
    >>> same symptoms
    >>>
    >>> angie

    >> What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    >NTFS
    >best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night :eek:)

    I'm tellin' ya, get 3.1 and don't turn back. I use 3.1 and it's great. You
    don't even have to blink and everything has loaded.

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 8, 2006
  9. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Ernie Werbel wrote:
    > nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...
    >
    >>"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message

    >>>What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)

    >>NTFS
    >>best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night :eek:)
    >>

    > I'm tellin' ya, get 3.1 and don't turn back. I use 3.1 and it's great. You
    > don't even have to blink and everything has loaded.

    What are you some kind of lunatic? Windows 3.1 time has come and gone
    in the home user environment. It's so old and outdated that my
    Grandmothers wouldn't even use it. I am 50 something and they are both
    dead. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 8, 2006
  10. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Duane Arnold <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> > wrote in message
    >Ernie Werbel wrote:
    >> nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...
    >>
    >>>"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message

    >>>NTFS
    >>>best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night :eek:)
    >>>

    >> I'm tellin' ya, get 3.1 and don't turn back. I use 3.1 and it's great. You
    >> don't even have to blink and everything has loaded.
    >>

    >What are you some kind of lunatic? Windows 3.1 time has come and gone
    >in the home user environment. It's so old and outdated that my
    >Grandmothers wouldn't even use it. I am 50 something and they are both
    >dead. ;-)
    >
    >Duane :)

    Well yes in a way. I'm looney over having a computer that does what I need it
    to do and doesn't take forever to do it. If then makes me looney then I'm proud
    of it! (-:

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 8, 2006
  11. nuttytart in cyberspace

    MarkMandell Guest

    "Ernie Werbel" <> wrote in message

    > Duane Arnold <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> > wrote in message
    >>Ernie Werbel wrote:

    >>> I'm tellin' ya, get 3.1 and don't turn back. I use 3.1 and it's great.
    >>> You
    >>> don't even have to blink and everything has loaded.
    >>>

    >>What are you some kind of lunatic? Windows 3.1 time has come and gone
    >>in the home user environment. It's so old and outdated that my
    >>Grandmothers wouldn't even use it. I am 50 something and they are both
    >>dead. ;-)
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > Well yes in a way. I'm looney over having a computer that does what I
    > need it
    > to do and doesn't take forever to do it. If then makes me looney then I'm
    > proud
    > of it! (-:

    I'm with you on this one, bro. Heck, if I could resurrect an Edsel or Model
    T and get it running as fast as I wanted, what the hell!

    It's this hangup of some people who are conditioned to think that "newer"
    automatically translates into "better."

    MarkMandell, Aug 8, 2006
  12. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Ernie Werbel wrote:
    > Duane Arnold <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> > wrote in message
    >
    >>Ernie Werbel wrote:

    >>>I'm tellin' ya, get 3.1 and don't turn back. I use 3.1 and it's great. You
    >>>don't even have to blink and everything has loaded.
    >>>

    >>What are you some kind of lunatic? Windows 3.1 time has come and gone
    >>in the home user environment. It's so old and outdated that my
    >>Grandmothers wouldn't even use it. I am 50 something and they are both
    >>dead. ;-)
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > Well yes in a way. I'm looney over having a computer that does what I need it
    > to do and doesn't take forever to do it. If then makes me looney then I'm proud
    > of it! (-:

    If the OP wanted to use a Ford Model T, she would have acknowledged
    you. Did it happen? Your diagnostics of the situation and a solution was
    ..... well, what can I say about it.

    Yeah, OP I really don't know what your problem really is about. But
    guess what, you can fix it by going 15 years backwards with the O/S.

    Yeah, OP forget about anything else you were doing or may have in the
    plans to do with the computer, just go back 15 years with the O/S and
    you're good to go. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 8, 2006
  13. nuttytart in cyberspace

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Ernie Werbel wrote:
    > nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...
    >
    >>hi all,
    >>pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
    >>
    >>hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
    >>
    >>it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
    >>
    >>once running it all seems to be working fine.
    >>
    >>any ideas or more info needed?
    >>
    >>angie
    >>

    > Not sure if this will help you or not but my PC was also taking forever to boot.
    > Well it went through the device checking ok but the operating system, Windows 98
    > took quite literally 10 minutes to go from startup screen to being all ready to
    > use. This is on a Pentium 3 - 1 GHz / 256MB RAM which is a bit dated but still
    > adequate. So I solved the problem by running FDISK to reformat the hard disk,
    > and then I installed Windows 3.1 on it and now everything runs great.
    > Otherwise, sometimes reformatting and reinstalling the same OS helps get rid of
    > junk files that have accumulated over time, but I think 3.1 is way better than
    > 98 anyway.

    My laptop running XP pro takes 30 seconds to boot using 700 MHz and 320
    mb ram.

    My desktop machine running GHz(s) and 512 MB ram takes about 10 seconds.

    Windows 3.1 was crash prone trash. DOS 622 under it was solid. Win 9'x,
    accept for Win 98 SE was crash prone trash too.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 8, 2006