    got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell of a
    long dead mullet. Any suggestions?

    Roger Dewhurst
    Roger Dewhurst, Sep 12, 2011

  2. Roger Dewhurst

    David Empson Guest

    Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:

    > I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    > Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    > there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    > technician fix them! The telephone number that he gave me, 098847226
    > does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in the
    > Auckland telephone directory. 'Fleming' asked me to go to
    > LogMeIn123.com. He gave me a number to type in a panel which would,
    > supposedly, connect me to a technician. Not knowing what the outcome
    > would be I asked for his telephone number to call back. The number I
    > got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell of a
    > long dead mullet. Any suggestions?

    This is a scam that has been going on for more than a year. It sounds
    like you stopped before the point they could do anything to your
    computer. Do not call them back, and if they call you again, hang up.

    I know one person who got fooled enough by this that they got a little
    further than you did, but not as far as paying money.

    If you follow their instructions, they get you to run Event Viewer and
    look at logs maintained by Windows. The information in those logs would
    look worrying to non-technical users. The caller uses this as "evidence"
    that your computer is infected, and directs you to connect to a
    particular web site (LogMeIn123.com sounds like it) so they can do
    further checks.

    That web site then uses ActiveX or other methods to allow them to
    remotely take control of your computer. I haven't seen detailed
    information about what they do at this point other than doing more
    things to convince you that your computer is infected. In theory, they
    could read, modify or delete any of your files, or install spyware or
    any other kind of malicious software on your computer.

    The goal appears to be to convince you to buy the rather expensive and
    fake anti-virus software they are peddling, which pretends to kill
    malicious software on the computer (which wasn't actually there at all).

    There could be variations of the scam which really do install malicious
    software on your computer and then pretend they have fixed it, charging
    you money in the process for the privilege. Various forms of ID theft
    are also potential outcomes. They will also obtain your credit card
    details, which could be used to make online purchases and charge them
    back to you.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Sep 12, 2011

  3. Roger Dewhurst

    Your Name Guest

    In article
    <>, Roger
    Dewhurst <> wrote:

    > I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    > Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    > there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    > technician fix them! The telephone number that he gave me, 098847226
    > does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in the
    > Auckland telephone directory. 'Fleming' asked me to go to
    > LogMeIn123.com. He gave me a number to type in a panel which would,
    > supposedly, connect me to a technician. Not knowing what the outcome
    > would be I asked for his telephone number to call back. The number I
    > got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell of a
    > long dead mullet. Any suggestions?

    IT'S A SCAM - STAY WELL AWAY!!!! Do NOT visit that website.

    It's already been widely mentioned in newspapers and TV shows. If the
    scumbag rngs again, simply hang up.
    Your Name, Sep 12, 2011
  4. On Sep 12, 6:23 pm, (David Empson) wrote:
    > Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:
    > > I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    > > Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian!  He tells me that
    > > there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    > > technician fix them!  The telephone number that he gave me, 098847226
    > > does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in the
    > > Auckland telephone directory.  'Fleming' asked me to go to
    > > LogMeIn123.com.  He gave me a number to type in a panel which would,
    > > supposedly, connect me to a technician.  Not knowing what the outcome
    > > would be I asked for his telephone number to call back.  The number I
    > > got did not fit the company name.  I am reminded of the smell of a
    > > long dead mullet.  Any suggestions?

    > This is a scam that has been going on for more than a year. It sounds
    > like you stopped before the point they could do anything to your
    > computer. Do not call them back, and if they call you again, hang up.

    Thanks.

    > I know one person who got fooled enough by this that they got a little
    > further than you did, but not as far as paying money.
    >
    > If you follow their instructions, they get you to run Event Viewer and
    > look at logs maintained by Windows. The information in those logs would
    > look worrying to non-technical users. The caller uses this as "evidence"
    > that your computer is infected, and directs you to connect to a
    > particular web site (LogMeIn123.com sounds like it) so they can do
    > further checks.

    That is as far as they got. I reached the web site but declined to
    accept the code.

    > That web site then uses ActiveX or other methods to allow them to
    > remotely take control of your computer.

    I did not know what could happen which is why I stopped at that point
    and asked for a telephone number.

    I haven't seen detailed
    > information about what they do at this point other than doing more
    > things to convince you that your computer is infected. In theory, they
    > could read, modify or delete any of your files, or install spyware or
    > any other kind of malicious software on your computer.

    Is it worth passing the telephone number on to someone? Who?

    Roger Dewhurst, Sep 12, 2011
  5. On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:52:58 -0700 (PDT), Roger Dewhurst
    <> wrote:

    >I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    >Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    >there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    >technician fix them! The telephone number that he gave me, 098847226
    >does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in the
    >Auckland telephone directory. 'Fleming' asked me to go to
    >LogMeIn123.com. He gave me a number to type in a panel which would,
    >supposedly, connect me to a technician. Not knowing what the outcome
    >would be I asked for his telephone number to call back. The number I
    >got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell of a
    >long dead mullet. Any suggestions?
    >
    >Roger Dewhurst

    Well known Con..
    Frank Williams, Sep 12, 2011
  6. Roger Dewhurst

    David Empson Guest

    Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:

    > On Sep 12, 6:23 pm, (David Empson) wrote:
    > > Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:
    > > > I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    > > > Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    > > > there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    > > > technician fix them! The telephone number that he gave me, 098847226
    > > > does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in the
    > > > Auckland telephone directory. 'Fleming' asked me to go to
    > > > LogMeIn123.com. He gave me a number to type in a panel which would,
    > > > supposedly, connect me to a technician. Not knowing what the outcome
    > > > would be I asked for his telephone number to call back. The number I
    > > > got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell of a
    > > > long dead mullet. Any suggestions?

    > > This is a scam that has been going on for more than a year. It sounds
    > > like you stopped before the point they could do anything to your
    > > computer. Do not call them back, and if they call you again, hang up.

    > Thanks.

    [...]

    > Is it worth passing the telephone number on to someone? Who?

    The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, but I doubt they can do much. They
    have a scam reporting mechanism on their web site.

    http://scamwatch.govt.nz

    Incidentally, this exact scam is described on the ministry's scam watch
    site. See the "Computer virus scams" link in the left column.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Sep 12, 2011
  7. In article <>, (Your Name) wrote:
    >In article
    ><>, Roger
    >Dewhurst <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    >> Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    >> there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    >> technician fix them! The telephone number that he gave me, 098847226
    >> does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in the
    >> Auckland telephone directory. 'Fleming' asked me to go to
    >> LogMeIn123.com. He gave me a number to type in a panel which would,
    >> supposedly, connect me to a technician. Not knowing what the outcome
    >> would be I asked for his telephone number to call back. The number I
    >> got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell of a
    >> long dead mullet. Any suggestions?

    >IT'S A SCAM - STAY WELL AWAY!!!! Do NOT visit that website.
    >
    >It's already been widely mentioned in newspapers and TV shows. If the
    >scumbag rngs again, simply hang up.

    No no no ... tell him that you are dreadfully concerned and are doing
    that now ... and walk away. While they are on the phone to you, they can't
    be scamming someone else. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 12, 2011
  8. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    >> Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    >> there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    >> technician fix them! The telephone number that he gave me, 098847226
    >> does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in the
    >> Auckland telephone directory. 'Fleming' asked me to go to
    >> LogMeIn123.com. He gave me a number to type in a panel which would,
    >> supposedly, connect me to a technician. Not knowing what the outcome
    >> would be I asked for his telephone number to call back. The number I
    >> got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell of a
    >> long dead mullet. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Roger Dewhurst

    >Hang up on them, or if you have a flair for theatrics, tell them to F off.
    >
    >It would be interesting if they called me, it seems they assume you are
    >running a particular popular operating system.

    Yes ... and that you are runnign IE and on what passes for broadband in NZ.
    :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 12, 2011
  9. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    On 12/09/11 17:52, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    > I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    > Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    > there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    > technician fix them!

    Where have you been, Rog? This scam has been around for a couple of
    years. For a little amusement you could try to see how long you can keep
    them talking before they give up on you.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Sep 13, 2011
  10. On Sep 13, 11:44 am, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 12/09/11 17:52, Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >  >> I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    > > Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian!  He tells me that
    > > there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    > > technician fix them!

    >  >
    > Where have you been, Rog?

    I have not had this scam tried on me before. The fellow was rabbiting
    on in Bombay Welsh when I asked him if he was Indian. He said that he
    originated in Canada and came to NZ 17 years ago! That did not sound
    very plausible.

    Roger Dewhurst, Sep 13, 2011
  11. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    On 13/09/11 11:37, Bret wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 09:59:40 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    >>> Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    >>> there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    >>> technician fix them! The telephone number that he gave me, 098847226
    >>> does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in the
    >>> Auckland telephone directory. 'Fleming' asked me to go to
    >>> LogMeIn123.com. He gave me a number to type in a panel which would,
    >>> supposedly, connect me to a technician. Not knowing what the outcome
    >>> would be I asked for his telephone number to call back. The number I
    >>> got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell of a
    >>> long dead mullet. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Roger Dewhurst

    >> Hang up on them, or if you have a flair for theatrics, tell them to F off.
    >>
    >> It would be interesting if they called me, it seems they assume you are
    >> running a particular popular operating system.

    > Yes, they are confused by the large K instead of a "start" button :)

    Ye little gods! Anyone would be confused by that tinker toy of a
    desktop. I used KDE for a while, but I gave it up when I found all the
    whingers on the KDE forums who had trouble understanding what the right
    hand mouse button was for. KDE users are dimmer than Windows users IMO.

    Enkidu, Sep 13, 2011
  12. Roger Dewhurst

    Enkidu Guest

    On 13/09/11 16:24, Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>> Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me that
    >>> there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    >>> technician fix them!

    >> Where have you been, Rog?

    > I have not had this scam tried on me before. The fellow was rabbiting
    > on in Bombay Welsh when I asked him if he was Indian. He said that he
    > originated in Canada and came to NZ 17 years ago! That did not sound
    > very plausible.

    Funnily enough I got one on the phone today. I asked him to give me his
    username and password. When he started talking I said "Look, I can't
    help you unless you give me your user name and password!" After a bit
    more of him trying to do his spiel and me asking for his username and
    password, he hung up.

    Enkidu, Sep 13, 2011
  13. Roger Dewhurst

    bugalugs Guest

    On 13/09/2011 6:27 p.m., WorkHard wrote:
    > Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    >> Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian! He tells me
    >> that
    >> there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should
    >> let his
    >> technician fix them! The telephone number that he gave me,
    >> 098847226
    >> does not match that of the company called PC Support listed in
    >> the
    >> Auckland telephone directory. 'Fleming' asked me to go to
    >> LogMeIn123.com. He gave me a number to type in a panel which
    >> would,
    >> supposedly, connect me to a technician. Not knowing what the
    >> outcome
    >> would be I asked for his telephone number to call back. The
    >> number I
    >> got did not fit the company name. I am reminded of the smell
    >> of a
    >> long dead mullet. Any suggestions?

    > How the hell would they even know you had something wrong with
    > your computer?

    That's what I kept asking them. And then " How do you know what files
    are on my computer? are you spying on me ?" Played dumb (came
    naturally) and strung her along for 12 minutes before doing the "Hang on
    Someone's at the door" trick. Put the phone down and when I picked it up
    again 20 minutes later they'd gone....funny that !

    Ask yourself...

    bugalugs, Sep 13, 2011
  14. Roger Dewhurst

    AD. Guest

    On Sep 12, 5:52 pm, Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:
    > I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    > Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian!  He tells me that
    > there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    > technician fix them!

    I got my first one last night. These ones actually claimed to be
    Microsoft and that they were tracking some errors in my machine - it
    didn't matter that I don't use Windows :)

    It's a shame I was in the middle of doing the dishes and not by my
    computer or I would've played along for long enough to get some
    details.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 13, 2011
  15. In article <4e6eec6f$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >On 13/09/11 11:37, Bret wrote:

    (snip)

    >> Yes, they are confused by the large K instead of a "start" button :)
    > >

    >Ye little gods! Anyone would be confused by that tinker toy of a
    >desktop. I used KDE for a while, but I gave it up when I found all the
    >whingers on the KDE forums who had trouble understanding what the right
    >hand mouse button was for. KDE users are dimmer than Windows users IMO.

    Ah ... no. :) There are , of course, always some. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 14, 2011
  16. On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:19:41 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <>
    wrote:

    >On Sep 12, 5:52 pm, Roger Dewhurst <> wrote:
    >> I have just had a phone call from someone purporting to be Mark
    >> Fleming of PC Support who sounds like an Indian!  He tells me that
    >> there are unwanted programs on my computer and that I should let his
    >> technician fix them!

    >I got my first one last night. These ones actually claimed to be
    >Microsoft and that they were tracking some errors in my machine - it
    >didn't matter that I don't use Windows :)
    >
    >It's a shame I was in the middle of doing the dishes and not by my
    >computer or I would've played along for long enough to get some
    >details.

    I wouldn't get too upset. There's over 1 billion of them. Another will
    be along soon enuff. If you've time available - waste as much of
    theirs as you can. You could be saving someone more gullible.
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Sep 14, 2011
  17. Roger Dewhurst

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:27:16 +1200, in message <>
    WorkHard wrote:

    > When they say such things they are bullshitting. They have no
    > idea what's on your computer, or even if you have a computer.
    >
    > For them to know you had "unwanted" (by whom?) programs on your
    > computer, they would have to already have access.

    The two people who sent me this phishing spam
    http://i56.tinypic.com/2e680nk.jpg
    both have NZ IP addresses, and neither are the ASB bank.

    It is a good guess than both have unwanted software on
    their computers.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Sep 23, 2011
  18. Roger Dewhurst

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Ralph Fox
    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:27:16 +1200, in message

    <>
    > WorkHard wrote:
    >
    > > When they say such things they are bullshitting. They have no
    > > idea what's on your computer, or even if you have a computer.
    > >
    > > For them to know you had "unwanted" (by whom?) programs on your
    > > computer, they would have to already have access.

    > The two people who sent me this phishing spam
    > http://i56.tinypic.com/2e680nk.jpg
    > both have NZ IP addresses, and neither are the ASB bank.
    >
    > It is a good guess than both have unwanted software on
    > their computers.

    Since the hackers are always going to be one step ahead of the
    anit-malware makers, many home Windows PCs are likely to have some form of
    "unwanted software".

    We used to have an old Windows 2000 computer that was constantly getting
    rubbish installed that most of the so-called "protection" systems didn't
    even see, let alone stop or remove ... and that includes the likes of AVG,
    Avast, Microsoft's own stuff, etc. Being a clapped out old machine that
    was going in the bin (and since has been and replaced with a Mac) I never
    really bothered to work out why - it could have been a lack of RAM meaning
    the anti-malware application could't function properly, it could have been
    the fact that the Windows operating system software was never updated
    (downloading many-megabyte updates via a dial-up connection is simply
    idiotically impossible!), etc. or it could just be that Windows is
    absolute garbage ... I'd always go with that last one.
    Your Name, Sep 23, 2011
  19. Roger Dewhurst

    Your Name Guest

    In article <4e7cfb93$>, Robert Cooze
    <c_o-o_z-e_r-b_@-c-o-o-z-eD_O_Tc_oD_O_Tnz> wrote:

    > Big question does the hardware of the modern MAC support dial-up. Im
    > talking about what I can go to the shop's and buy today!

    Yes, apparently they can, although I haven't any personal experience of
    that, so it would need to be checked via a more reliable source.

    According to what I've read in a few places, the newer 64-bit versions of
    Mac OS X (Snow Leopard and Lion) do not have drivers for their own older
    external Apple USB Modem (yet?) and of course Apple dropped internal modem
    from their range quite a while back, but you can buy other third-party
    external USB modems that do work.

    By the way, it's "Mac" (lowercase). "MAC" (uppercase) is a totally
    different computing term and a cosmetic company brand.
    Your Name, Sep 24, 2011
  20. Roger Dewhurst

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 09:17:30 +1200, in message <>
    Your Name wrote:

    > In article <>, Ralph Fox
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:27:16 +1200, in message

    > <>
    > > WorkHard wrote:
    > >
    > > > When they say such things they are bullshitting. They have no
    > > > idea what's on your computer, or even if you have a computer.
    > > >
    > > > For them to know you had "unwanted" (by whom?) programs on your
    > > > computer, they would have to already have access.

    > > The two people who sent me this phishing spam
    > > http://i56.tinypic.com/2e680nk.jpg
    > > both have NZ IP addresses, and neither are the ASB bank.
    > >
    > > It is a good guess than both have unwanted software on
    > > their computers.

    > Since the hackers are always going to be one step ahead of the
    > anit-malware makers, many home Windows PCs are likely to have some form of
    > "unwanted software".

    One of the two phishing scam emails came from a law firm, not from a home PC.

    And the point is, "WorkHard" is not quite correct. I can tell with high
    probability that they had "unwanted" programs, even though I did not have
    access to their PCs.

    > We used to have an old Windows 2000 computer that was constantly getting
    > rubbish installed that most of the so-called "protection" systems didn't
    > even see, let alone stop or remove ... and that includes the likes of AVG,
    > Avast, Microsoft's own stuff, etc. Being a clapped out old machine that
    > was going in the bin (and since has been and replaced with a Mac) I never
    > really bothered to work out why - it could have been a lack of RAM meaning
    > the anti-malware application could't function properly, it could have been
    > the fact that the Windows operating system software was never updated
    > (downloading many-megabyte updates via a dial-up connection is simply
    > idiotically impossible!), etc. or it could just be that Windows is
    > absolute garbage ... I'd always go with that last one.

    Odd. I ran a Win2K box for a year without picking up any infections,
    and a Win98 box for 10 years also picking up any infection. I might
    suspect someone was being careless about which attachments they opened,
    or perhaps a vulnerable version of IE like 5.5 was used for browsing
    the web.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph