    attempt always boots up ok.
    I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to go
    through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    tomm, Apr 22, 2009

  2. tomm

    chuckcar Guest

    "tomm" <> wrote in
    news:00381447$0$21901$:

    > I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same model
    > ) . Its an asrock k758x.
    > Seems fine but there is one problem.
    > I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else.
    > No
    > beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    > So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no
    > problems
    > at all.
    > And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails. The
    > 2nd
    > attempt always boots up ok.
    > I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to
    > go
    > through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    Short answer: power supply. It's not sufficient. Start by disconnecting
    anything plugged into USB/PCMCIA/Firewire ports before you turn it on.
    After that, you're looking at taking out cards and drives. If you want a
    short term fix, shut it down, unplug it, hold in the power button for 30
    seconds (use a watch it matters), release the button and plug it in.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 22, 2009

  3. tomm

    Mike Easter Guest

    tomm wrote:
    > I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same
    > model ) .

    What problems led to the mobo replacement?

    What is the PS situation? Rating and brand of the PS. 'Stuff' loading
    the PS.

    > I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing
    > else. No beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.

    Any minute now Tom (currently westom) will show up with some advice about
    troubleshooting your PS and switch.

    Maybe you should've replaced your PS instead of your mobo - depending on
    the troubleshooting story which must/should have preceded the mobo
    replacement.

    Mike Easter, Apr 22, 2009
  4. tomm

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:51:53 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Short answer: power supply. It's not sufficient. Start by disconnecting
    >anything plugged into USB/PCMCIA/Firewire ports before you turn it on.
    >After that, you're looking at taking out cards and drives. If you want a
    >short term fix, shut it down, unplug it, hold in the power button for 30
    >seconds (use a watch it matters), release the button and plug it in.

    Ignore chucktards advice. It's dangerous, and wrong.

    Evan Platt, Apr 23, 2009
  5. tomm

    alan Guest

    "chuckcar" wrote
    > "tomm" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same model
    >> ) . Its an asrock k758x.
    >> Seems fine but there is one problem.
    >> I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else.
    >> No
    >> beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    >> So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no
    >> problems
    >> at all.
    >> And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails. The
    >> 2nd
    >> attempt always boots up ok.
    >> I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to
    >> go
    >> through the same routine of the first attempt failing?
    >>

    > Short answer: power supply. It's not sufficient.

    .... (rest of bullshit advice snipped)

    Hey chuck ---- the guy did a straight replacement of his motherboard. I
    wonder why his power supply had been sufficient in the past . . . did YOU
    wonder why?

    tomm --- wish I could tell what the problem is, but I can confidently tell
    you it is NOT with your power supply . . .

    alan, Apr 23, 2009
  6. tomm

    PeeCee Guest

    "tomm" <> wrote in message
    >I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same model )
    >. Its an asrock k758x.
    > Seems fine but there is one problem.
    > I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else. No
    > beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    > So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no problems
    > at all.
    > And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails. The
    > 2nd attempt always boots up ok.
    > I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to go
    > through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    Tomm

    Check the CPU settings in the Bios.
    The Motherboard may be detecting the wrong CPU and needs to reboot to go to
    safe settings.
    May need a Bios update.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 23, 2009
  7. tomm

    Mike Easter Guest

    alan wrote:

    > wish I could tell what the problem is, but I can confidently
    > tell you it is NOT with your power supply . . .

    Confidently? Not so fast, grasshopper.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 23, 2009
  8. tomm

    Tony Guest

    Sounds like one of your computers on a good day. That's what you get when your
    main computer is out of a dumpster.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Apr 23, 2009
  9. tomm

    chuckcar Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > alan wrote:
    >
    >> wish I could tell what the problem is, but I can confidently
    >> tell you it is NOT with your power supply . . .

    > Confidently? Not so fast, grasshopper.

    Ignore him. He's just another mutation of the twit Tony.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 23, 2009
  10. tomm

    Buffalo Guest

    tomm wrote:
    > I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same
    > model ) . Its an asrock k758x.
    > Seems fine but there is one problem.
    > I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing
    > else. No beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    > So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no
    > problems at all.
    > And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails.
    > The 2nd attempt always boots up ok.
    > I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have
    > to go through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    When you attempt to reboot, wait at least one full minute.
    If it will NOT reboot after one full minute, it is probably your power
    supply. (PSU)
    Reason is that it takes a lot more power to start things up (getting the
    HDDs reving up, etc) then to supply them once they are already in motion.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Apr 23, 2009
  11. tomm wrote:

    > I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same model )
    > . Its an asrock k758x.
    > Seems fine but there is one problem.
    > I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else.
    > No
    > beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    > So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no problems
    > at all.
    > And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails. The
    > 2nd
    > attempt always boots up ok.
    > I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to
    > go
    > through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    Once the system did startup and is shutdown properly after work done, does
    it show that behavior even if you turn it on immeadiately or does it need
    some time turned off?
    Is there a difference from just turning off (with standby voltage still
    supplied by the powersupply) to completely unplugging the mains socket or
    flipping the powerbar or backside psu switch in between attempts?
    To conclude: there must have been a reason why you swapped the mobo.
    What caused the first error, may still be a problem. It *could* be the
    powersupply, or any other device you have attached to a slot or socket.
    Running with a minimal hardware setup and adding devices one-by-one is the
    common procedure.
    The hint which suggests a bios upgrade should be considered as well,
    depending upon your cpu.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 23, 2009
  12. tomm

    westom

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Notice so many responses blame power supply, motherboard, power switch, and how much else? Well, let's add a few other suspects that forgot to include. AC power cord. Loose connection inside connector, bad power supply controller ... All are valid if using that wild speculation. So keep buying new parts until something works.

    The fewer and informed techs instead take a 3.5 digit multimeter to measure some voltages in minutes. Then know immediately what is good and what is bad. No more wild speculation. A mulitmeter is sold anywhere that hammers are sold because meters are for people with 'hammer' skillsets (ie 12 year olds). Best price is probably less than $18 in Wal-Mart. However meters can be found in any hardware store, some drug stores, Lowes, or Radio Shack. A tool that will do more for you than a hammer.

    Get the meter. Or just keep swapping parts on wild speculation (some will foolishly recommend replacing memory) until something works.

    First, measure DC voltage on purple, green, and gray wire (from power supply to motherboard) by pressing probe inside the nylon connector. Read these mumbers both before and when power switch is pressed. Then post those numbers here to learn what exists, why you did it, and what is or is not defective. IOW get a definitive answer before replacing or disconnecting anything.

    Also measure any one of red, orange, and yellow wires when system is powered up and accessing (multitasking to) all peripherals simultaneously. IOW play complex graphics (a movie) while downloading from the internet, while playing sounds loudly, while searching hard drive, etc. Now those red, orange, and yellow wire voltages are reporting what you have - definitively.

    A defective power supply can still boot a computer (which you may have had). A new and good power supply can sometimes fail in an otherwise perfecty good computer. More problems that the meter will indentify in minutes so that you never see this (and some other) problems months from now.

    westom, Apr 23, 2009
  13. tomm

    westom Guest

    On Apr 22, 6:18 pm, "tomm" <> wrote:
    > I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same model ) .
    > Its an asrock k758x.  Seems fine but there is one problem.  I turn it
    > on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else. No
    > beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.

    Notice so many responses blame power supply, motherboard, power
    switch, and how much else? Well, let's add a few other suspects that
    forgot to include. AC power cord. Loose connection inside connector,
    bad power supply controller ... All are valid if using that wild
    speculation. So keep buying new parts until something works.

    The fewer and informed techs instead take a 3.5 digit multimeter to
    measure some voltages in minutes. Then know immediately what is good
    and what is bad. No more wild speculation. A mulitmeter is sold
    anywhere that hammers are sold because meters are for people with
    'hammer' skillsets (ie 12 year olds). Get the meter. Or just keep

    westom, Apr 23, 2009
  14. tomm

    tomm Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > tomm wrote:
    >> I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same
    >> model ) . Its an asrock k758x.
    >> Seems fine but there is one problem.
    >> I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else.
    >> No beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    >> So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no problems
    >> at all.
    >> And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails. The
    >> 2nd attempt always boots up ok.
    >> I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to
    >> go through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    > If the advice you've already received does not work...
    > try slightly reducing the RAM timing.
    >
    > I also (once) had a machine that never booted reliably with the RAM maxed
    > out...but worked fine with a lesser amount of RAM

    thanks for your replies...
    I have just got home and read them.
    I have just tried to boot up and as usual, just the fans started , nothing
    else. Then insted of trying again straight away
    I left it a full 20 mins and on the 2nd attempt it started up fine.
    But I can do this "2 step" boot up routine repeatedly and it is just the
    same so its definately nothing to do with the boot up being easier with
    things already "wirring"
    I have also dis-connected everything apart from the m.board and it still
    does the same.

    For those who were asking why I changed the MB it was due to random
    rebooting (during normal operation, nothing like this problem)
    I had eliminated everything apart from the MB & processor. So I replaced
    the MB but still got random rebooting. So I replaced the cpu.
    And the random rebooting has not happened since so it seems safe to say the
    problem was my old cpu.
    But I would like to leave this new MB installed and solve this strange
    boot up problem as I will then presumably have 2 good motherboards.
    Bios does detect the right CPU and speed by the way.

    tomm, Apr 23, 2009
  15. tomm

    philo Guest

    tomm wrote:

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> tomm wrote:
    >>> I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same
    >>> model ) . Its an asrock k758x.
    >>> Seems fine but there is one problem.
    >>> I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing
    >>> else. No beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    >>> So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no
    >>> problems at all.
    >>> And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails.
    >>> The 2nd attempt always boots up ok.
    >>> I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have
    >>> to go through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    >> If the advice you've already received does not work...
    >> try slightly reducing the RAM timing.
    >>
    >> I also (once) had a machine that never booted reliably with the RAM
    >> maxed out...but worked fine with a lesser amount of RAM

    > thanks for your replies...
    > I have just got home and read them.
    > I have just tried to boot up and as usual, just the fans started ,
    > nothing else. Then insted of trying again straight away
    > I left it a full 20 mins and on the 2nd attempt it started up fine.
    > But I can do this "2 step" boot up routine repeatedly and it is just
    > the same so its definately nothing to do with the boot up being easier
    > with things already "wirring"
    > I have also dis-connected everything apart from the m.board and it
    > still does the same.
    >
    > For those who were asking why I changed the MB it was due to random
    > rebooting (during normal operation, nothing like this problem)
    > I had eliminated everything apart from the MB & processor. So I replaced
    > the MB but still got random rebooting. So I replaced the cpu.
    > And the random rebooting has not happened since so it seems safe to say
    > the problem was my old cpu.
    > But I would like to leave this new MB installed and solve this strange
    > boot up problem as I will then presumably have 2 good motherboards.
    > Bios does detect the right CPU and speed by the way.

    Well keep trying .

    BTW: The original CPU was very possibly good. It might have been a
    situation where it simply had to be reseated.

    philo, Apr 23, 2009
  16. tomm

    tomm Guest

    "westom" <> wrote in message
    On Apr 22, 6:18 pm, "tomm" <> wrote:
    > I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same model )
    > .
    > Its an asrock k758x. Seems fine but there is one problem. I turn it
    > on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else. No
    > beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.

    Notice so many responses blame power supply, motherboard, power
    switch, and how much else? Well, let's add a few other suspects that
    forgot to include. AC power cord. Loose connection inside connector,
    bad power supply controller ... All are valid if using that wild
    speculation. So keep buying new parts until something works.

    The fewer and informed techs instead take a 3.5 digit multimeter to
    measure some voltages in minutes. Then know immediately what is good
    and what is bad. No more wild speculation. A mulitmeter is sold
    anywhere that hammers are sold because meters are for people with
    'hammer' skillsets (ie 12 year olds). Get the meter. Or just keep
    swapping parts on wild speculation (some will foolishly recommend
    replacing memory) until something works.

    First, measure DC voltage on purple, green, and gray wire (from power
    supply to motherboard) by pressing probe inside the nylon connector.
    Read these mumbers both before and when power switch is pressed. Then
    post those numbers here to learn what exists, why you did it, and what
    is or is not defective. IOW get a definitive answer before replacing
    or disconnecting anything.

    Also measure any one of red, orange, and yellow wires when system is
    powered up and accessing (multitasking to) all peripherals
    simultaneously. IOW play complex graphics (a movie) while downloading
    from the internet, while playing sounds loudly, while searching hard
    drive, etc. Now those red, orange, and yellow wire voltages are
    reporting what you have - definitively.

    A defective power supply can still boot a computer (which you may have
    had). A new and good power supply can sometimes fail in an otherwise
    perfecty good computer. More problems that the meter will indentify in
    minutes so that you never see this (and some other) problems months
    from now.

    just tried a different power supply . same result.
    Theres are loads of suggestions on this thread but why on earth is it only
    booting up on the 2nd , 4th , 6th 8th attempt
    and not on the 1st , 3rd, 5th or 7th? . A faulty cable or bad memory
    wouldnt produce this pattern would it ?

    tomm, Apr 23, 2009
  17. tomm spilled the beans:
    > I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same model
    > ) . Its an asrock k758x.
    > Seems fine but there is one problem.
    > I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else.
    > No beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    > So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no
    > problems at all.
    > And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails. The
    > 2nd attempt always boots up ok.
    > I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to
    > go through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    I read thru the whole thread and this is what I'd replace: CMOS battery.
    Might have died and wont hold the drive config on First Boot. So
    naturally when you start it with a second attempt it has automagically
    configd BIOS with the drive params etc since it held that info from
    first boot in the BIOS mem.
    Try jumpering the CMOS reset on the mobo first and then booting. If it
    wont hold params then buy yer a new battery
    Thats my best guess.

    Good luck mate.

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org

    _..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
    ,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
    : `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
    : .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
    : .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
    : .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
    :. .::' ::: : `: .:::
    `: .:: : : .::'
    : .:: . :. .::
    : ::' `: .::.
    .\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
    :.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
    ::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
    : `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
    . :' .::. .: .:: :
    : :' ::: :' .:: .
    : `:: : .::
    :' .::. .: .:::
    : .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
    : .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    : .::: ::: ::: .:::
    `._ .::'.`._.::' `._.::'.`._ .::' _ Seal _
    ~~~ :: :: ~~~

    §ñühw¤£f, Apr 23, 2009
  18. tomm

    tomm Guest

    "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > tomm spilled the beans:
    >> I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same
    >> model ) . Its an asrock k758x.
    >> Seems fine but there is one problem.
    >> I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else.
    >> No beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    >> So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no problems
    >> at all.
    >> And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails. The
    >> 2nd attempt always boots up ok.
    >> I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to
    >> go through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    > I read thru the whole thread and this is what I'd replace: CMOS battery.
    > Might have died and wont hold the drive config on First Boot. So naturally
    > when you start it with a second attempt it has automagically configd BIOS
    > with the drive params etc since it held that info from first boot in the
    > BIOS mem.
    > Try jumpering the CMOS reset on the mobo first and then booting. If it
    > wont hold params then buy yer a new battery
    > Thats my best guess.
    >
    > Good luck mate.

    Tried the above.. no luck.. thanks anyway !

    tomm, Apr 23, 2009
  19. tomm

    westom Guest

    On Apr 23, 5:15 pm, "tomm" <> wrote:
    >   just tried a different power supply . same result.
    >  Theres are loads of suggestions on this thread but why on earth is it only
    > booting up on the 2nd , 4th , 6th 8th attempt ...

    Nobody can answer that because you did shotgunning rather than
    'follow the evidence'. You may have even complicated the problem. Do
    you keep replacing parts how many times, wasting how much labor doing
    so, and remain exactly where you started? At what point do you
    finally stop shotgunning?

    Get numbers in minutes. Then have definitive answers. Could it be
    any simpler? Without those numbers, your every reply is wild
    speculation. After all that labor, which part do you know is good?
    Nothing. Why? You replaced things rather than first learn what you
    had. Any tech that does that in any responsible organization (auto
    repair, electronics design, aerospace ...) gets unemployed quickly.

    First identify the suspect. That means disconnecting, removing, or
    replacing nothing. That means information with numbers. Especially
    when you most fear those numbers. When good analysis identifies the
    suspect, only then replace that suspect. And then confirm those
    symptoms (and that means numbers) no longer exist. A responsible
    solution means less labor, less time, less confusion, less money
    spent, a definitive answer, and fixing it the first time.

    How many items on your lists of 'definitively known good' and
    'definitively known bad'? Zero. Everything is still on the 'unknown'
    list. That means zero has been accomplished. Provided was how you
    solve it. Your choice. Follow advice based in wild speculation or
    "follow the evidence".

    I who even designed this stuff cannot answer any of your questions
    because you are withholding critical facts. Your replies remain as
    useful as the information you have posted. Useful replies almost
    always mean you first provide numbers.

    westom, Apr 24, 2009
  20. tomm

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >"tomm" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have just replaced my motherboard ( a straight swap for the same model
    >> ) . Its an asrock k758x.
    >> Seems fine but there is one problem.
    >> I turn it on & on the first attempt the fans start up but nothing else.
    >> No
    >> beeps , no signal to the monitor ..nothing.
    >> So I turn it off again. On the 2nd attempt it boots up fine , no
    >> problems
    >> at all.
    >> And thats the way it goes every time. The 1st attempt always fails. The
    >> 2nd
    >> attempt always boots up ok.
    >> I know I can always turn it on at the 2nd attempt but why do I have to
    >> go
    >> through the same routine of the first attempt failing?

    >Short answer: power supply. It's not sufficient. Start by disconnecting
    >anything plugged into USB/PCMCIA/Firewire ports before you turn it on.
    >After that, you're looking at taking out cards and drives. If you want a
    >short term fix, shut it down, unplug it, hold in the power button for 30
    >seconds (use a watch it matters), release the button and plug it in.

    This persons advice can cause you unneeded work, his advice is best
    ignored.

    --

    Odd sculptures
    http://villageofjoy.com/20-strange-sculptures-part-i/