PC spontaneously shutting down

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Carver Lee, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Carver Lee

    Carver Lee Guest

    It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then suddenly
    last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
    again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
    inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
    loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
    restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.

    Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..

    Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial though is
    that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working fine and the system
    shows the core temp to be <100­°F.

    Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out each
    component.

    Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.

    Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.

    Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card, Ethernet
    card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried with 1 HD,
    floppy, video card & keyboard.

    Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding somewhere
    against the case.

    All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know where to go
    from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the MB, the power supply,
    the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing components one by one until
    I figure out what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would love
    to hear them.

    Thank you.
    Carver Lee, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Carver Lee

    10_4 Guest

    "Carver Lee" <> wrote in message
    > It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then

    suddenly
    > last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
    > again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
    > inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
    > loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
    > restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    >
    > Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    >
    > Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial though

    is
    > that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working fine and the

    system
    > shows the core temp to be <100­°F.
    >
    > Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out each
    > component.
    >
    > Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    >
    > Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
    >
    > Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card, Ethernet
    > card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried with 1 HD,
    > floppy, video card & keyboard.
    >
    > Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding

    somewhere
    > against the case.
    >
    > All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know where to

    go
    > from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the MB, the power

    supply,
    > the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing components one by one

    until
    > I figure out what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would

    love
    > to hear them.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Sounds like you did your homework. I would check the voltage coming from
    the power supply while you have it powered on. If you are not getting 12+
    DC volts from the Molex you are having a PS problem. Normally, this causes
    lock ups not reboots. Reset your Mobo setting by moving the jumper to set
    it back to default or remove the battery for 30 seconds while the unit is
    unplugged. Sometimes the BIOS settings can cause this and this is the
    easiest way I know to do this. There are more but this works for me.

    Good luck!

    Roger
    10_4, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Carver Lee

    Bob Day Guest

    "Carver Lee" <> wrote in message
    > It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then suddenly
    > last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
    > again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
    > inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
    > loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
    > restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    >
    > Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    >
    > Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial though is
    > that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working fine and the system
    > shows the core temp to be <100­°F.
    >
    > Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out each
    > component.
    >
    > Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    >
    > Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
    >
    > Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card, Ethernet
    > card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried with 1 HD,
    > floppy, video card & keyboard.
    >
    > Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding somewhere
    > against the case.
    >
    > All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know where to go
    > from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the MB, the power supply,
    > the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing components one by one until
    > I figure out what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would love
    > to hear them.

    Failing power supply? Download the free Home Edition of
    Everest, available from http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en.
    Run it, expand "Computer", and click on "Sensor". Check to see
    whether the voltages are within spec, and watch them for a while to
    see whether they fluctuate -- the display updates itself automatically
    every few seconds. The voltage of your CMOS battery may also
    be shown on this display. If so, replace your CMOS battery if its
    voltage is significantly below nominal (usually 3 volts). (Also, see
    the last step in this post.)

    Scan your computer for spyware and viruses. I doubt whether
    that's causing the problem, but it might be good to be sure that
    it's not.

    Try running a memory diagnostic: download "Memtest86+"
    from http://www.memtest.org) and run it for a few cycles.
    You should get zero errors.

    Reseat everything else in your computer - there could be
    a degrading connection somewhere.

    Remove your CMOS battery, and measure its voltage.
    If the measured voltage is significantly less than the
    voltage marked on top of the battery (usually 3 volts),
    replace it. Note: If you do this step, you'll have to set up
    your BIOS again.

    -- Bob Day
    http://bobday.vze.com
    Bob Day, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Carver Lee

    ICee Guest

    Carver Lee wrote:
    > It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then
    > suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but
    > then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but
    > this seems inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself
    > before windows even loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM
    > check, IDE detect, restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    >
    > Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    >
    > Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial
    > though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working
    > fine and the system shows the core temp to be <100­°F.
    >
    > Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out
    > each component.
    >
    > Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    >
    > Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
    >
    > Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card,
    > Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried
    > with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
    >
    > Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding
    > somewhere against the case.
    >
    > All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know
    > where to go from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the
    > MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing
    > components one by one until I figure out what it is so if anyone has
    > any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
    >
    > Thank you.

    If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are bad
    electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps on the
    motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is your problem.
    Otherwise, probably the power supply.
    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad Caps Pic/BX133 caps.jpg
    ICee, Aug 20, 2004
  5. Carver Lee

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:47:27 GMT, "Carver Lee" <>
    wrote:

    |>It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then suddenly
    |>last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
    |>again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
    |>inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
    |>loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
    |>restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    |>
    |>Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..

    <An evenings worth of work deleted>

    Some bios have a setting "reboot on error" if this is your case make
    sure it's a no.

    while it won't fix your problem it might allow a software check of
    your system if you do boot up.
    Pennywise, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Carver Lee

    Shawk Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Carver Lee wrote:
    > > It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then
    > > suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but
    > > then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but
    > > this seems inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself
    > > before windows even loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM
    > > check, IDE detect, restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    > >
    > > Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    > >
    > > Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial
    > > though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working
    > > fine and the system shows the core temp to be <100­°F.
    > >
    > > Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out
    > > each component.
    > >
    > > Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    > >
    > > Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
    > >
    > > Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card,
    > > Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried
    > > with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
    > >
    > > Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding
    > > somewhere against the case.
    > >
    > > All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know
    > > where to go from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the
    > > MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing
    > > components one by one until I figure out what it is so if anyone has
    > > any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are bad
    > electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps on the
    > motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is your problem.
    > Otherwise, probably the power supply.
    > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad Caps Pic/BX133 caps.jpg

    Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
    d-loaded/installed this? Perhaps it was done automatically without you
    knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet). Some users who have
    installed XP SP2 are reporting exactly your symptoms since 'upgrading'.
    Then again - might be totally unrelated but its another thing to cross off
    your diagnostic list. Shaun
    Shawk, Aug 20, 2004
  7. Carver Lee

    ICee Guest

    Shawk wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Carver Lee wrote:
    >>> It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then
    >>> suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but
    >>> then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro
    >>> but this seems inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself
    >>> before windows even loads. At one point last night it would post,
    >>> RAM check, IDE detect, restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    >>>
    >>> Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    >>>
    >>> Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial
    >>> though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working
    >>> fine and the system shows the core temp to be <100­°F.
    >>>
    >>> Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew
    >>> out each component.
    >>>
    >>> Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    >>>
    >>> Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
    >>>
    >>> Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card,
    >>> Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and
    >>> tried with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
    >>>
    >>> Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding
    >>> somewhere against the case.
    >>>
    >>> All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know
    >>> where to go from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the
    >>> MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to just start
    >>> replacing components one by one until I figure out what it is so if
    >>> anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are
    >> bad electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps
    >> on the motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is
    >> your problem. Otherwise, probably the power supply.
    >> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad Caps Pic/BX133 caps.jpg
    >>

    > Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
    > d-loaded/installed this?

    No, I haven't: why should I?

    Perhaps it was done automatically without
    > you knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet). Some
    > users who have installed XP SP2 are reporting exactly your symptoms
    > since 'upgrading'. Then again - might be totally unrelated but its
    > another thing to cross off your diagnostic list. Shaun

    No, I have automatic updates disabled. I'm not the one with the
    problem, the OP is. Perhaps you should respond to the OP.
    ICee, Aug 20, 2004
  8. Carver Lee

    spodosaurus Guest

    Shawk wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Carver Lee wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then
    >>>suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but
    >>>then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but
    >>>this seems inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself
    >>>before windows even loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM
    >>>check, IDE detect, restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    >>>
    >>>Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    >>>
    >>>Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial
    >>>though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working
    >>>fine and the system shows the core temp to be <100­°F.
    >>>
    >>>Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out
    >>>each component.
    >>>
    >>>Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    >>>
    >>>Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
    >>>
    >>>Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card,
    >>>Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried
    >>>with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
    >>>
    >>>Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding
    >>>somewhere against the case.
    >>>
    >>>All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know
    >>>where to go from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the
    >>>MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing
    >>>components one by one until I figure out what it is so if anyone has
    >>>any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.

    >>If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are bad
    >>electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps on the
    >>motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is your problem.
    >>Otherwise, probably the power supply.
    >>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad Caps Pic/BX133 caps.jpg
    >>

    > Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
    > d-loaded/installed this? Perhaps it was done automatically without you
    > knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet).

    This says pro:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    spodosaurus, Aug 20, 2004
  9. Carver Lee

    Shawk Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Shawk wrote:
    > > "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > >> If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are
    > >> bad electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps
    > >> on the motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is
    > >> your problem. Otherwise, probably the power supply.
    > >> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad Caps Pic/BX133 caps.jpg
    > >>

    > > Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
    > > d-loaded/installed this?

    > No, I haven't: why should I?
    >
    > Perhaps it was done automatically without
    > > you knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet). Some
    > > users who have installed XP SP2 are reporting exactly your symptoms
    > > since 'upgrading'. Then again - might be totally unrelated but its
    > > another thing to cross off your diagnostic list. Shaun

    > No, I have automatic updates disabled. I'm not the one with the
    > problem, the OP is. Perhaps you should respond to the OP.

    Thought I had
    Shawk, Aug 20, 2004
  10. Carver Lee

    bardeban Guest

    I had the same problem in one of my systems. It happened to be overclocking
    the CPU.
    My CPU was CELERON 600MHz with 66MHz BUS, I was running it at 100MHz BUS,
    for a while it was ok but suddenly it keep rebooting itself continuously.
    After I realized what was wrong, I fixed the problem and everything went
    back to normal.

    bardeban, Aug 20, 2004
  11. Carver Lee

    ICee Guest

    Shawk wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
    >>> d-loaded/installed this?

    >> No, I haven't: why should I?
    >>
    >> Perhaps it was done automatically without
    >>> you knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet). Some
    >>> users who have installed XP SP2 are reporting exactly your symptoms
    >>> since 'upgrading'. Then again - might be totally unrelated but its
    >>> another thing to cross off your diagnostic list. Shaun

    >> No, I have automatic updates disabled. I'm not the one with the
    >> problem, the OP is. Perhaps you should respond to the OP.
    >>

    > Thought I had

    No, you responded to me then, just as you did now. Highlight the OP's
    post, right click, choose reply to group.
    ICee, Aug 20, 2004
  12. Carver Lee

    kony Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:55:16 +0800, spodosaurus
    <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >> Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
    >> d-loaded/installed this? Perhaps it was done automatically without you
    >> knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet).

    >This says pro:
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Lack of SP2 should NOT cause ANY system to shut off. If there
    were an OS error and "reboot on error" setting were enabled (as
    it is by default) it might reset the system, but not turn it off.

    Generally that is a hardware fault completely unrelated to the
    operating system. Check voltages and temps in addition to
    examination of capacitors.
    kony, Aug 20, 2004
  13. Carver Lee

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Carver Lee" <> wrote:

    >It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then suddenly
    >last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
    >again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
    >inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
    >loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
    >restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    >
    >Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    >
    >Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial though is
    >that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working fine and the system
    >shows the core temp to be <100­°F.
    >
    >Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out each
    >component.
    >
    >Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    >
    >Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
    >
    >Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card, Ethernet
    >card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried with 1 HD,
    >floppy, video card & keyboard.
    >
    >Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding somewhere
    >against the case.
    >
    >All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know where to go
    >from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the MB, the power supply,
    >the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing components one by one until
    >I figure out what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would love
    >to hear them.
    >
    >Thank you.

    Open Control Panel - System - Advanced.

    In the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section click on the Settings
    button.

    In the Startup and Recovery window click on the checkbox for
    "Automatically restart".

    That should put an end to the reboots. However they may be replaced
    by "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP errors and the system may then halt
    completely, requiring a manual power off and restart. If that does
    happen then the contents of the STOP message, including all of the
    parameters, will be a direct clue as to the underlying cause of your
    problem.

    Post the contents of the STOP message back here if you need further
    advice or assistance with that.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Aug 20, 2004
  14. Carver Lee

    spodosaurus Guest

    kony wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:55:16 +0800, spodosaurus
    > <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
    >>>d-loaded/installed this? Perhaps it was done automatically without you
    >>>knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet).

    >>This says pro:
    >>
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
    >>

    > Lack of SP2

    he was talking about having installed SP2...

    And I was talking about something altogether different, the availability
    of SP2 for XP Pro, so I'm a bit baffled why you replied to my post.

    spodosaurus, Aug 20, 2004
  15. Carver Lee

    Shawk Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:55:16 +0800, spodosaurus
    > <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >

    > >> Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
    > >> d-loaded/installed this? Perhaps it was done automatically without you
    > >> knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet).

    > >This says pro:
    > >

    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30

    -8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    > Lack of SP2 should NOT cause ANY system to shut off. If there
    > were an OS error and "reboot on error" setting were enabled (as
    > it is by default) it might reset the system, but not turn it off.
    >
    > Generally that is a hardware fault completely unrelated to the
    > operating system. Check voltages and temps in addition to
    > examination of capacitors.

    Hi Kony, maybe it wasnt clear but what I meant was 'installing' SP2 has
    caused this instability in a few posters to the XP groups NOT a lack of it.
    It probably is hardware but this was something for them to consider if SP2
    'had' been installed. Shaun
    Shawk, Aug 20, 2004
  16. Carver Lee

    Jim Wilson Guest

    Questions:

    1. Are you overclocking? (doubt it... but thought I'd ask)

    2. Is this a new build?

    3. Are any of the "main" components from another system or are they
    all new?

    4. What is the rating of the power supply? What brand is it?
    (in the FWIW category.... I have 500watt name brand power supplies in
    all my AMD based systems)

    5. Have you recently flashed the BIOS?

    6. Does anyone else have access to this system?
    (they could have made a BIOS adjustment or downloaded a virus, etc.)

    7. Do you have SMART enabled?

    Suggestions:

    1. Check all the cables for kinks or possible damage. BTW..... is
    it possible that you have a 40 pin connected to the hard drive instead
    of an 80 pin?

    2. Go into the BIOS and leave the system running to see if it reboots
    while in the BIOS.

    3. While in the BIOS check any settings for: restart or reboot at xx
    degrees cpu temp.

    4. Run a system diagnostics on the hard drive.

    5. You may have to start swapping out known good parts one by one.
    How else will you know for sure which part or parts are not up to par?
    (that's assuming the problem is hardware based)

    Possibilities/Observations:

    1. The hard drive may have some bad clusters.

    2. Power supply is inadequate. (is this an AMD based system, BTW?)
    If so is the power supply AMD certified?

    3. Cable(s) may be defective.

    The above is enough to get you going forward. (hopefully)

    Please post back and let us know of your progress.

    Good Luck!

    Jim Wilson, Aug 20, 2004
  17. Carver Lee

    Carver Lee Guest

    Stellar suggestions. Thank you. I'll post back when I find the culprit so it
    will be archived.

    Carver Lee, Aug 20, 2004
  18. Carver Lee

    Shawk Guest

    "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > kony wrote:

    > >>This says pro:
    > >>

    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F3

    0-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    > > Lack of SP2

    > he was talking about having installed SP2...
    >
    > And I was talking about something altogether different, the availability
    > of SP2 for XP Pro, so I'm a bit baffled why you replied to my post.
    >

    > --
    > spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

    Thanks for pointing out the link for the pro version BTW. I've read a few
    more posts about SP2 causing constant reboots - theyre calling it 'loop to
    boot'. If the OP has SP2 they should look at some of the posts in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Shaun
    Shawk, Aug 21, 2004
  19. Carver Lee

    PC Guest

    "Carver Lee" <> wrote in message
    > It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then

    suddenly
    > last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
    > again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
    > inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
    > loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
    > restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
    >
    > Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    >
    > Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial though

    is
    > that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working fine and the

    system
    > shows the core temp to be <100­°F.
    >
    > Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out each
    > component.
    >
    > Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    >
    > Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
    >
    > Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card, Ethernet
    > card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried with 1 HD,
    > floppy, video card & keyboard.
    >
    > Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding

    somewhere
    > against the case.
    >
    > All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know where to

    go
    > from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the MB, the power

    supply,
    > the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing components one by one

    until
    > I figure out what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would

    love
    > to hear them.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Carver

    Some very good advice above, however just one more that will be worth
    exploring.

    Built a new PC for my son, run of the mill job, used all the bits that have
    all proved reliable in countless other PC's. As it was famly it was
    patched/antivirus/antispywared to the hilt before delivery. Ran fine for 10
    days then started to suddenly reboot just like you describe.

    Started with the usuall tests similar to what you describe, however after
    passing the hardware and checking for viruses/spyware by scanning the HD in
    another PC, I popped a second HD in the machine and did a default install of
    XP to that.

    Started & ran fine for 4 hours

    Put the original HD back in after removing all the boot files out of C:\ and
    renamed C:\windows to C:\oldwindows.

    Standard install of XP, drivers, apps etc it hasn't stopped since..

    My guess is some sort of file screw up.

    Cheers
    Paul
    PC, Aug 21, 2004
  20. Carver Lee

    CBFalconer Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "Carver Lee" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot
    >> then suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up
    >> fine but then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm
    >> running XP Pro but this seems inconsequential because sometimes
    >> it restarts itself before windows even loads. At one point last
    >> night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect, restart..
    >> wash-rinse-repeat.
    >>
    >> Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
    >>
    >> Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my
    >> initial though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans
    >> are working fine and the system shows the core temp to be
    >> <100­°F.
    >>
    >> Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly
    >> blew out each component.
    >>
    >> Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
    >>
    >> Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE
    >> cables.
    >>
    >> Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound
    >> card, Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case
    >> fans) and tried with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
    >>
    >> Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't
    >> grounding somewhere against the case.
    >>
    >> All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't
    >> know where to go from here. At this point it could still be
    >> the HD, the MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to
    >> just start replacing components one by one until I figure out
    >> what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would
    >> love to hear them.

    > Some very good advice above, however just one more that will be
    > worth exploring.
    >
    > Built a new PC for my son, run of the mill job, used all the
    > bits that have all proved reliable in countless other PC's. As
    > it was famly it was patched/antivirus/antispywared to the hilt
    > before delivery. Ran fine for 10 days then started to suddenly
    > reboot just like you describe.
    >
    > Started with the usuall tests similar to what you describe,
    > however after passing the hardware and checking for viruses/
    > spyware by scanning the HD in another PC, I popped a second HD
    > in the machine and did a default install of XP to that.
    >
    > Started & ran fine for 4 hours
    >
    > Put the original HD back in after removing all the boot files
    > out of C:\ and renamed C:\windows to C:\oldwindows.
    >
    > Standard install of XP, drivers, apps etc it hasn't stopped
    > since..
    >
    > My guess is some sort of file screw up.

    Which doesn't explain why that screw-up in the first place. The
    odds are high that there was a memory glitch, possibly caused by a
    cosmic-ray, or even power-line noise. These things are inherently
    unrepeatable, and their effects can be delayed for long periods,
    even years. This is the sort of thing that can always happen, and
    the only viable prevention is ECC memory.

    --
    fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2.
    to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences
    CBFalconer, Aug 21, 2004