    Hard drive has plenty of space.

    Any ideas.

    Please advise.

    richard flores, Mar 11, 2006

  2. richard flores

    Tee Jay Guest

    richard flores wrote:
    > All of the sudden. Scanned for viruses, spyware, etc. Nada
    >
    > Hard drive has plenty of space.
    >
    > Any ideas.
    >
    > Please advise.

    Check BIOS for correct settings.
    Tee Jay

    Tee Jay, Mar 11, 2006

  3. When this happened to me it was because I had recently installed Firefox and
    AVG which was enough to use up most of my computer's memory. This left very
    little for running anything else under Windows XP so the CPU was constantly
    writing to the swap file which of course slowed everything down. Extra
    memory solved the problem.

    If you're on Windows XP you need 512 mB RAM. If you've already got this
    amount then it's probably some other problem. Up to date spyware and adware
    is a good place to start.

    John

    John Rampling, Mar 11, 2006
  4. richard flores

    Brian Guest

    Is your computer always on? Have you checked for fragmented files? What did
    you install, open, remove, etc...these are questions that need to be
    answered to give a better answer to your question. It's hard to say with the
    information that you gave, what is causing the slowdown

    Some t/s steps to take would be:
    - check msconfig (assuming you have that, because you didn't specify OS) see
    if you can uncheck some startup items to increase speed
    - do a defrag on the hdd (programs-accessories-system tools-disk defragment)
    - try spybot S/D if you used another spyware removal program, its free and
    works well, good for second check
    - restart your computer, if you unchecked items in msconfig remove them from
    the registry and switch back to normal in msconfig

    if all else fails do a system restore to the day before the slowdown occured

    Brian, Mar 11, 2006
  5. "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > Is your computer always on? Have you checked for fragmented files? What
    > did
    > you install, open, remove, etc...these are questions that need to be
    > answered to give a better answer to your question. It's hard to say with
    > the
    > information that you gave, what is causing the slowdown
    >
    > Some t/s steps to take would be:
    > - check msconfig (assuming you have that, because you didn't specify OS)
    > see
    > if you can uncheck some startup items to increase speed
    > - do a defrag on the hdd (programs-accessories-system tools-disk
    > defragment)
    > - try spybot S/D if you used another spyware removal program, its free and
    > works well, good for second check
    > - restart your computer, if you unchecked items in msconfig remove them
    > from
    > the registry and switch back to normal in msconfig
    >
    > if all else fails do a system restore to the day before the slowdown
    > occured

    One of my customers had a serious system slowdown last week with no
    explanation. I tried spybot and adaware removal tools, no help. I did a
    system restore to where it was running fine then after everything was back
    up I turned off automatic updates (only notify) We'll see, but so far so
    good.

    Dennis

    dennis meissner, Mar 11, 2006
  6. Great tips all. Thank You.