    My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do you
    think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it used to be.
    Thanks.
    coppernut, Jun 28, 2006

  2. coppernut

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, Jun 28, 2006

  3. coppernut

    Dirk Guest

    coppernut wrote:
    > Hi,
    > My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do you
    > think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it used to be.
    > Thanks.

    Run a program like adaware to detect and get rid of any spyware that
    might be running programs in the background of your starup.
    Dirk, Jun 28, 2006
  4. coppernut

    djorourke Guest

    I don't think it is a problem,My pc does the same. If it gets slow all the
    time you need to reformatte the hard drive ( wipe out everything) with a
    restore disc if you got one. dan tulsa 9187476199

    djorourke, Jun 28, 2006
  5. djorourke wrote:

    > "coppernut" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do
    >> you think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it
    >> used to be.
    >> Thanks.

    > [top-posting adjusted]
    > I don't think it is a problem,My pc does the same. If it gets slow all
    > the time you need to reformatte the hard drive ( wipe out everything)
    > with a restore disc if you got one.

    Not necessarily. It could be something as simple as that stupid
    Windows/Office FindFast program indexing all the time. It could be that
    the OP added extra stuff to "load on startup" when it wasn't really
    intended. A bit of detective work might be all that is needed.

    Given the minimal info that coppernut supplied, your advice is way over
    the top.

    Coppernut, your startup time has little to do with your connection
    method ... unless ... you are starting a network that can't be found
    soon enough.

    > dan tulsa 918747nnnn

    Most people don't post their private phone numbers (or personal email
    addresses) for the world to read.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 28, 2006
  6. coppernut

    Top Guest

    coppernut submitted this idea :
    > Hi,
    > My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a
    > problem do you think. I have broadband, but I thought it should
    > be quicker, it used to be. Thanks.

    To add to what OG and the article he gave the link for, check to
    see what you have loading at start up. start ->run -> msconfig

    In particular look at what is listed under startup, uncheck what
    you don't need. If you are comfortable changing services look
    there as well. Another aproach is google for >startup manager<.

    Do that before thinking about formatting and reloading windows.
    Cure the problem first, otherwise you'll endup doing the same
    time after time.

    Top

    --
    Never mind that Man behind the curtin
    Top, Jun 28, 2006
  7. coppernut

    ellis_jay Guest

    djorourke wrote:
    > I don't think it is a problem,My pc does the same. If it gets slow
    > all the time you need to reformatte the hard drive ( wipe out
    > everything) with a restore disc if you got one. dan tulsa 9187476199
    > "coppernut" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do
    >> you think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it
    >> used to be.
    >> Thanks.

    ugggg....

    run

    crapcleaner
    mru blaster

    check your services for useless services. What firewall you got? What
    virus protection?

    google for the
    links

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Jun 29, 2006
  8. coppernut

    ProfGene Guest

    coppernut wrote:
    > Hi,
    > My PC is slow starting up, but works fine then, is this a problem do you
    > think. I have broadband, but I thought it should be quicker, it used to be.
    > Thanks.

    Very often it is spyware that slows a computer down. Run a program like
    Spybot and see if that helps matters.
    ProfGene, Jun 30, 2006