    recognize the cd rom from time to time, and the machine shuts down by
    itself also from time to time. Does this mean that I have a virus or
    could there be another reason for this problem?
    nick, Apr 25, 2008

  2. nick

    ian field Guest

    "nick" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can someone tell me what it means if my Sony tower running xp does not
    > recognize the cd rom from time to time, and the machine shuts down by
    > itself also from time to time. Does this mean that I have a virus or
    > could there be another reason for this problem?

    You could open it up and see how much dust has gathered, maybe re-seat the
    memory sticks and the various connectors, you could check if it has a CMOS
    backup battery - a flat battery upsets the bios and can cause failure to
    recognise drives, but probably not shutting down.
    ian field, Apr 25, 2008

  3. nick

    ian field Guest

    "tom" <> wrote in message

    > "Eugene Maes" <> wrote in message
    >> I suggest goto the dell site: www.dell.com
    >> choose home

    > <snip>
    >> "nick" <> wrote in message
    >> > Can someone tell me what it means if my Sony tower running xp does not
    >> > recognize the cd rom from time to time, and the machine shuts down by
    >> > itself also from time to time. Does this mean that I have a virus or
    >> > could there be another reason for this problem?

    > He's got a Sony????????

    I was going to mention that - then I remembered a lot of Dell PC gear is
    re-badged Sony, so a lot of the drivers are probably interchangeable.
    ian field, Apr 25, 2008