    My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is loading
    its installation files......... any suggestions or thoughts?

    don, Mar 14, 2010

  2. don wrote:

    > My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    > reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

    Most probably a hardware fault - memory (ram), powersupply or anything
    else on the mainboard are suspect.
    Try to run a live-cd, memtest86, knoppix, winpe or whatever.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 14, 2010

  3. don

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:

    > My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    > reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is loading
    > its installation files......... any suggestions or thoughts?

    Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
    See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
    factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

    richard, Mar 14, 2010
  4. don

    Mike Litoris Guest

    richard wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
    >
    >> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    >> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

    > Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
    > See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
    > factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

    Are you fucking mental, for trolls sake?

    Mike Litoris, Mar 14, 2010
  5. don

    Mike Litoris Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Mike Litoris mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
    >>> See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back
    >>> to factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

    >> Are you fucking mental, for trolls sake?

    > It's RtS, what did you expect? Lucidity?

    I could, but never expected a fucked up answer like "A virus may have gotten
    into the BIOS"

    Mike Litoris, Mar 14, 2010
  6. don

    Aratzio Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:58:40 -0700, in the land of
    24hoursupport.helpdesk, richard <> got double secret
    probation for writing:

    >On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
    >
    >> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    >> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is loading
    >> its installation files......... any suggestions or thoughts?

    >Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
    >See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
    >factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

    BULLIS TO THE RESCUE!!!!

    It just not possible for you to actually give advice that makes sense.

    Aratzio, Mar 14, 2010
  7. don

    Aratzio Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:11:54 +0100, in the land of
    24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mike Litoris <>
    got double secret probation for writing:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
    >>
    >>> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    >>> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

    >> Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
    >> See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
    >> factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

    >Are you fucking mental, for trolls sake?

    Bullis is just stupid.

    Ask him about imploding tires.

    Aratzio, Mar 14, 2010
  8. don

    don Guest

    > Boot up with a liveCD like ubuntu, knoppix, puppy Linux, etc
    > and that way you can be sure the PC itself has no problem.
    >
    > Use liveCD like systemrescueCD to boot up from CD and use ClamAV to clean
    > the disk.
    >
    > Or even better, boot up with a liveCD like GParted and reformat the
    > hard disk and start again.
    >
    > If you are not familiar with Linux, liveCDs or commands, then use google
    > to search for tutorials and help.
    >
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > http://www.distrowatch.com
    > http://www.ubuntu.com

    Ok Thanks.

    don, Mar 14, 2010
  9. richard <> via

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
    >
    >> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she
    >> says and when she tried to reformat and
    >> reinstall windows now the PC shuts down
    >> as windows is loading its installation files
    >> ......... any suggestions or thoughts?

    > Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
    > See if the manufacturer has a software utility to
    > reset the drive back to factory specs. A virus may
    > have gotten into the BIOS.

    My BIOS fornicates viruses and tosses 'em away
    like deflowering eager, supple, virgins under
    the stadium bleachers on prom night!

    Best to just throw 'em away and get fresh ones!

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*,
    that is NOT a Jedi light-sabre in my pocket;

    Repent! The end is near....
    So, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 14, 2010
  10. don

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Litoris <> wrote in

    > The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Litoris mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Are you fucking mental, for trolls sake?

    >> It's RtS, what did you expect? Lucidity?

    > I could, but never expected a fucked up answer like "A virus may have
    > gotten into the BIOS"

    Of course not. You don't know what your talking about. It's the *very*
    first thing AV programs check FCS. NVram has a long tradition of being
    used for malware - because it never loses it's content it's perfect.

    http://support.ap.dell.com/support/...pport/dsn/document?c=th&l=en&s=lca&dn=1045429

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 15, 2010
  11. don

    chuckcar Guest

    "don" <> wrote in news:hni5rh$iqt$:

    > My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    > reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

    How did she know she had virii on it? Does she know the difference
    between a virus and a trojan? A trojan will *never* infect NVRAM. Does
    she *know* all malware has been cleaned off the coumputer? If not, read
    my reply to richard. It describes the *one* way you can be sure.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 15, 2010
  12. don

    chuckcar Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in

    > "don" <> wrote in message
    >> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    >> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

    >> its installation files......... any suggestions or thoughts?

    > Tell her to try cleaning her Windows CD or to try booting
    > with a known good CD.

    Cleaning *how*? such open ended discriptions can be bad. You have no
    idea if she thinks nail polish remover for example is sui6able or not.
    It's *not* along with numerous other methods.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 15, 2010
  13. don

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
    >
    >> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    >> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is

    > Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
    > See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back
    > to factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

    This works if they can get a dos prompt. The problem undoubtedly is that
    they're in over their head. They need to 1. Remove *all* partitions on
    *all* hard drives on the computer 2. Re-write the MBR with fdisk/mbr 3.
    zero NVram with the below

    http://techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00025.htm

    4. Then one needs put the *full* windows install CD into the drive and
    shut the computer down (any way, at this point corruption simply can't
    occur). 5. Next turn on the computer and *immediately* enter the BIOS
    and change the boot order so the drive the CD is in is first. 6. Save
    the BIOS changes and reboot.

    At this point windows will start installing. There is no more malware
    anywhere.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 15, 2010
  14. don

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:59:22 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > sui6able

    WTF????????????????????

    Aardvark, Mar 15, 2010
  15. chuckcar wrote:
    > Of course not. You don't know what your talking about. It's the *very*
    > first thing AV programs check FCS. NVram has a long tradition of being
    > used for malware - because it never loses it's content it's perfect.
    >

    > http://support.ap.dell.com/support/...pport/dsn/document?c=th&l=en&s=lca&dn=1045429

    They don't mention anything about viruses at that link. The Bios Reset
    they're mentioning is in case something got changed and is causing trouble.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 15, 2010
  16. don

    Phlegmboy Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:58:40 -0700, richard aka Richard "the Stoopid"
    Bullis, Grade A moron with the technical knowledge of a gnat
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:15:01 -0500, don wrote:
    >
    >> My friends PC had viruses on it or so she says and when she tried to
    >> reformat and reinstall windows now the PC shuts down as windows is loading
    >> its installation files......... any suggestions or thoughts?

    >Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.

    No it does not. An upgrade disk will ask for the original install disk
    if it cannot find the required files on the target hard driver and
    will display an error if neither can be found or supplied. It will NOT
    arbitrarily shut the computer down.

    >See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back to
    >factory specs.

    There is no such thing. Do not listen to this idiot.Next he will try
    to tell you to do a low level format of he hard drive. Ignore him.

    >virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

    Is your stupidity caused by you using autoasphyxiation to get off,
    RtS?

    This definitely looks like a hardware issue. From past experience at
    work it is almost always traced to the motherboard although one model
    we used had a power supplies die after about 3 years of use.

    if the computer is out of warranty, especially if it is more than
    three years old, then I would suggest it would probably be cheaper to
    replace the computer rather than get it repaired.

    ----
    http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/Kpg6mX7XJRCSWumo

    http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/7WG7JWKtA46XoQSW

    http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/R0Ff2nBrjYSHPS6u

    http://www.youtube.com/user/Albatross666able - The worlds worst kakaoke
    from a runt that makes Disco Duck sound normal.

    http://emmettastrophe.6te.net/ for a complete rundown on this entity
    known as Emma, Enima, Emut and other epithets.

    Phlegmboy, Mar 15, 2010
  17. don

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Mike Litoris Post:
    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> richard<> wrote in

    >>> Is that an upgrade disk? That may happen if it is.
    >>> See if the manufacturer has a software utility to reset the drive back
    >>> to factory specs. A virus may have gotten into the BIOS.

    >> This works if they can get a dos prompt. The problem undoubtedly is that
    >> they're in over their head. They need to 1. Remove *all* partitions on
    >> *all* hard drives on the computer 2. Re-write the MBR with fdisk/mbr 3.
    >> zero NVram with the below
    >>
    >> http://techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00025.htm
    >>
    >> 4. Then one needs put the *full* windows install CD into the drive and
    >> shut the computer down (any way, at this point corruption simply can't
    >> occur). 5. Next turn on the computer and *immediately* enter the BIOS
    >> and change the boot order so the drive the CD is in is first. 6. Save
    >> the BIOS changes and reboot.
    >>
    >> At this point windows will start installing. There is no more malware
    >> anywhere.
    >>

    > Fucking amazing. I just crawled into this group and found the most fucking
    > dumb persons habitating usenet, ever.

    LMAO Welcome aboard.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Mar 15, 2010
  18. don

    Mike Litoris Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Mike Litoris Post:
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> richard<> wrote in

    >>> This works if they can get a dos prompt. The problem undoubtedly is that
    >>> they're in over their head. They need to 1. Remove *all* partitions on
    >>> *all* hard drives on the computer 2. Re-write the MBR with fdisk/mbr 3.
    >>> zero NVram with the below
    >>>
    >>> http://techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00025.htm
    >>>
    >>> 4. Then one needs put the *full* windows install CD into the drive and
    >>> shut the computer down (any way, at this point corruption simply can't
    >>> occur). 5. Next turn on the computer and *immediately* enter the BIOS
    >>> and change the boot order so the drive the CD is in is first. 6. Save
    >>> the BIOS changes and reboot.
    >>>
    >>> At this point windows will start installing. There is no more malware
    >>> anywhere.
    >>>

    >> Fucking amazing. I just crawled into this group and found the most
    >> fucking dumb persons habitating usenet, ever.
    >>

    > LMAO Welcome aboard.

    Just for the fun of it, I'll stay around for a while. Don't blame me when
    I'll be gone all in a sudden.

    --
    \|/

    Mike Litoris, Mar 15, 2010