    ObSnideAdvocacyRemark: people say how existing PC users are so familiar with
    Microsoft Windows, that this is an obstacle to widespread adoption of a
    radically new system like Linux. Frankly, it doesn't seem like it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    news:gf8p8b$mjq$...
    > Results of a survey of the UK workplace on the quality (or lack thereof)
    > of
    > PC tech support:
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/07/errors-cause-chaos-workplace>.
    >
    > Smaller companies try to get by without properly-skilled people: a third
    > of
    > workers hit IT trouble, half of them tried to fix it themselves, and
    > mostly
    > made things worse. The younger workers seem barely better at it, contrary
    > to expectations by some. Women are more likely to ask for help than men
    > (so
    > what else is new...).
    >
    > ObSnideAdvocacyRemark: people say how existing PC users are so familiar
    > with
    > Microsoft Windows, that this is an obstacle to widespread adoption of a
    > radically new system like Linux. Frankly, it doesn't seem like it.

    Yup, agreed. I know users who swear black and blue they know and prefer an
    OS, it's just better.
    Yet they wonder why their e-mail stops working and they have a mail stuck in
    their outbox with a 200Mb tiff file attached. Or on OSX they didn't even
    know you can press a key to show the desktop. Yet they're really sure they
    know how to judge and choose an OS.

    J&H.