    This is a 4 way moldex plug with +12V but I've never had a MoBo which
    used this connector whereas the new Mobo does ... so just curious.

    Thanks
    Mr User, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Mr User

    Guest

    , Jul 13, 2006

  3. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    wrote:
    > Mr User <> wrote:
    >
    > |>1. Any benefit using 80 way ribbon (rather than 40 way) for DVD and
    > |>DVD-RW on the same EIDE channel?
    >
    > Yes, every other wire is a ground and it prevents cross talk.

    Thanks that's an interesting factoid :)
    Mr User, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Mr User

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    > Couple of quick Q's
    >
    > 1. Any benefit using 80 way ribbon (rather than 40 way) for DVD and DVD-RW
    > on the same EIDE channel?

    Nope

    > 2. What is the _Aux case power supply connector_ for?
    > This is a 4 way moldex plug with +12V but I've never had a MoBo which used
    > this connector whereas the new Mobo does ... so just curious.

    Extra power.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 13, 2006
  5. Mr User

    ProfGene Guest

    Mr User wrote:
    > Couple of quick Q's
    >
    > 1. Any benefit using 80 way ribbon (rather than 40 way) for DVD and
    > DVD-RW on the same EIDE channel?
    >
    > 2. What is the _Aux case power supply connector_ for?
    > This is a 4 way moldex plug with +12V but I've never had a MoBo which
    > used this connector whereas the new Mobo does ... so just curious.
    >
    > Thanks

    I found out the hard way that if you don't connect those 12 volt
    connectors when you do have a connector the PC won't boot so they are
    for motherboards that do have the connector and need the power.
    ProfGene, Jul 15, 2006
  6. Howdy!

    "Mr User" <> wrote in message
    > Couple of quick Q's
    >
    > 1. Any benefit using 80 way ribbon (rather than 40 way) for DVD and
    > DVD-RW on the same EIDE channel?

    1.5 benefits B) Every other wire is a ground, so it's a bit quieter
    electronically. AND - some DVD/RWs are ATA-66 or even ATA-100 capable, so
    you can dump to their cache RAM quicker than at ATA-33 speeds (the limit for
    40 conductor cables.) That's the 1/2 benefit - if your drives are ATA-33,
    they'll still run ATA-33, so no speed benefit (not that you'll notice much,
    but it DOES help free the channel a bit quicker.)

    > 2. What is the _Aux case power supply connector_ for?
    > This is a 4 way moldex plug with +12V but I've never had a MoBo which
    > used this connector whereas the new Mobo does ... so just curious.

    It's an auxiliary 12V supply to feed the CPU's power supply -
    144watts at 12Volts is only 12Amps. 144watts at 2.4Volts is a whopping
    60amps - LOTS bigger wires and connectors to handle the load!

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 16, 2006