    Are people buying mobile devices instead?

    But those devices don’t run Windows. So what will this mean for Microsoft’s
    prospects?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    Re: PC Sales “Falling Off A Cliff”

    On Aug 17, 12:39 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1727575/pc-sales-falling>
    >
    > Are people buying mobile devices instead?
    >
    > But those devices don’t run Windows. So what will this mean for Microsoft’s
    > prospects?

    If you ever left your bedroom, Larry, you'd notice there's been a
    worldwide recession. Do you think that might lead to a drop in PC
    sales?

    JohnO, Aug 16, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 17/08/2010 12:39 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1727575/pc-sales-falling>
    >
    > Are people buying mobile devices instead?
    >
    > But those devices don’t run Windows. So what will this mean for Microsoft’s
    > prospects?

    The Core 2 hardware is outlasting the Microsoft OS churn, so consumers
    have a comfortable sweet spot, core 2 duo lap or desk with XP. Vista
    reinforced the perception that XP is good enough and the bulk of the
    market isn't making a new PC a priority.
    The mobile devices and PCs are complementary, not fully interchangeable,
    you can't even edit Google Docs on an iPad, but at the edges of the
    market the teens are using mobiles with facebook and twitter now instead
    of netbooks and laptops.

    victor, Aug 16, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 17/08/2010 12:39 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1727575/pc-sales-falling>
    >>
    >> Are people buying mobile devices instead?
    >>
    >> But those devices don't run Windows. So what will this mean for
    >> Microsoft's prospects?

    > The Core 2 hardware is outlasting the Microsoft OS churn, so consumers
    > have a comfortable sweet spot, core 2 duo lap or desk with XP. Vista
    > reinforced the perception that XP is good enough and the bulk of the
    > market isn't making a new PC a priority.

    I agree completely with this (and have invested' in a couple nice laptops,
    ThinkPad T60s from ~2007 - '08, as a result). As long as the machine is of
    good quality there's no reason why a reasonably specced machine running a
    decent C2D and at least a couple GB of RAM (with a SATA interface and, if a
    laptop, an ExpressCard slot) and well looked after won't last for a good
    long time.

    They run Windows 7 really well too (not that I'm upgrading mine permanently
    in a hurry [I did try my 'spare' one with W7 and it was very fast] )
    although I forsee absolutely no reason to change from XP anytime in the next
    decade.

    > The mobile devices and PCs are complementary, not fully
    > interchangeable, you can't even edit Google Docs on an iPad, but at
    > the edges of the market the teens are using mobiles with facebook and
    > twitter now instead of netbooks and laptops.

    True dat.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

    ~misfit~, Aug 17, 2010
  5. Intel citing weak consumer demand in “mature marketsâ€
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-cuts-outlook-consumer-pc-demand-weak/38534>.
    Quite a turnaround from what it was saying just a month and a half ago.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 28, 2010
  6. In message <i59ilr$eup$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Intel citing weak consumer demand in “mature marketsâ€
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-cuts-outlook-consumer-pc-demand-weak/38534>.
    > Quite a turnaround from what it was saying just a month and a half ago.

    I wasn’t going to say it, but ... what will this mean for continued sales of
    Windows Seven
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/intels-bad-news-could-translate-into-bad-news-for-microsoft-and-windows-7/9504>?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 28, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:12:03 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <i59ilr$eup$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Intel citing weak consumer demand in “mature marketsâ€
    >> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-cuts-outlook-consumer-pc-demand-

    weak/38534>.
    >> Quite a turnaround from what it was saying just a month and a half ago.

    > I wasn’t going to say it, but ... what will this mean for continued
    > sales of Windows Seven
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/intels-bad-news-could-translate-

    into-bad-news-for-microsoft-and-windows-7/9504>?

    It doesn't mean much - Microsoft will still be making pots of dosh from
    selling its latest release of MS WindowsNT.

    Sweetpea, Aug 28, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 00:07:56 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>It doesn't mean much - Microsoft will still be making pots of dosh from
    >>selling its latest release of MS WindowsNT.

    > .. not from me. There *is* a choice. :)

    Not from me either.

    Sweetpea, Aug 31, 2010