    Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
    Regards
    andy
    Andrew Mott, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Andrew Mott

    °Mike° Guest

    Remove Norton bloatware and install a leaner alternatives.

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Outpost
    Outpost Firewall Guide
    http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm

    Basic computer maintenance

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:01:18 +0100, in
    <igglb.160$>
    Andrew Mott scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Andrew Mott

    Orion Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:01:18 +0100, "Andrew Mott"
    <> wrote:

    >Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual to
    >set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton anti
    >virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
    >Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the c
    >drive.
    >Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
    >Regards
    >andy

    i'm having a similar problem, actually. next time you notice the
    slow-down, could you check your Task Manager's Processes tab and see
    what's sucking up all the run-time? for me, for some reason, it's
    explorer.exe and smc.exe.
    Orion, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Andrew Mott

    Buffalo Guest

    "Orion" > wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:01:18 +0100, "Andrew Mott"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual

    > >set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton

    anti
    > >virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
    > >Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the

    > >drive.
    > >Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be

    appreciated.
    > >Regards
    > >andy

    > i'm having a similar problem, actually. next time you notice the
    > slow-down, could you check your Task Manager's Processes tab and see
    > what's sucking up all the run-time? for me, for some reason, it's
    > explorer.exe and smc.exe.

    W32/Gaobot.worm.ai trys to prevent smc.exe from running.
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100725

    Perhaps you should try an online scan.
    Buffalo, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Andrew Mott

    Buffalo Guest

    "Andrew Mott" <> wrote in message
    > Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual

    > set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton

    anti
    > virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
    > Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the c
    > drive.
    > Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
    > Regards
    > andy

    Search for spyware:
    These are free programs:
    Dl,install,update and run:

    AdAware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://security.kolla.de/
    Buffalo, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Andrew Mott

    Harrison Guest

    Andrew,
    Try clearing the prefetch folder. Over time, it can become bloated
    with a bunch of crap you hardly ever use.
    C:\Windows\Prefetch or C:\Winnt\Prefetch

    It's a system folder, so make sure it's viewable.
    Tools / Folder Options / View /

    Scan for spyware which may be slowing the system down.
    Use Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy

    Disable Windows Services which are not used. Go here for a
    walk-through of each service.
    http://www.xptweaks.org/services.html

    Harrison, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Andrew Mott

    Orion Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:59:26 GMT, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada>
    wrote:

    >> i'm having a similar problem, actually. next time you notice the
    >> slow-down, could you check your Task Manager's Processes tab and see
    >> what's sucking up all the run-time? for me, for some reason, it's
    >> explorer.exe and smc.exe.

    >W32/Gaobot.worm.ai trys to prevent smc.exe from running.
    >http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100725
    >
    >Perhaps you should try an online scan.

    i don't know what, exactly, you mean by an 'online scan' but the
    problem is that smc.exe is running too much, not that something is
    preventing it from running. unless i've misunderstood you, i don't see
    how this helps.
    Orion, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Andrew Mott

    Buffalo Guest

    "Orion" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:59:26 GMT, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> i'm having a similar problem, actually. next time you notice the
    > >> slow-down, could you check your Task Manager's Processes tab and see
    > >> what's sucking up all the run-time? for me, for some reason, it's
    > >> explorer.exe and smc.exe.

    > >W32/Gaobot.worm.ai trys to prevent smc.exe from running.
    > >http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100725
    > >
    > >Perhaps you should try an online scan.

    > i don't know what, exactly, you mean by an 'online scan' but the
    > problem is that smc.exe is running too much, not that something is
    > preventing it from running. unless i've misunderstood you, i don't see
    > how this helps.

    I was just thinking that it was getting 'tied up'.
    Probably way off.
    I believe smc.exe is from using Seagate.
    Free virus scans that can be found online:
    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]
    Buffalo, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Andrew Mott wrote:
    > Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual to
    > set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton anti
    > virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
    > Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the c
    > drive.
    > Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
    > Regards
    > andy

    Assuming you ran NAV on ALL files AFTER updating to the latest definitions ...
    on some systems, XP's SP1 causes massive slowdowns. If you recently installed
    that update -- esp. if you have certain Dell systems -- that could alone be the
    problem.
    Tergiversative, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Andrew Mott

    lee Guest

    Assuming that you don`t surf the porn late at night and assuming that
    you don`t click on Links like <free big tits right here> Like I do
    then you can try a few things like a little maintenance.
    Get rid of the Norton utils or disable it from loading during bootup
    Its a right system Hogger - but that's upto you anyway

    Uninstall any crap prior to the problem. Schedule a full File integrity
    check on the
    next boot to check for crossed links or damaged files. Check your virtual
    memory.
    You didn`t give Nuff details like your System spec, Memory etc.

    lee, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Andrew Mott

    Orion Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:41:25 GMT, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada>
    wrote:

    >> i don't know what, exactly, you mean by an 'online scan' but the
    >> problem is that smc.exe is running too much, not that something is
    >> preventing it from running. unless i've misunderstood you, i don't see
    >> how this helps.

    >I was just thinking that it was getting 'tied up'.
    >Probably way off.
    >I believe smc.exe is from using Seagate.

    yeah, i think you're right. i found a few references to this, myself.
    there's a back-door in sygate if you don't set a password right away,
    and it's really difficult to remove once it's established. thanks for
    the links!

    Orion, Oct 23, 2003