    I'm typing the username the PC just restarts automatically. I'm
    trying to remove some malware in safe mode and this is making it
    impossible.

    Dave, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Dave

    Guest

    Dave <> wrote:

    >Has anyone heard of a virus that prevents logging into safe mode? As
    >I'm typing the username the PC just restarts automatically. I'm
    >trying to remove some malware in safe mode and this is making it
    >impossible.

    So use the second account you have in place for just this reason; or
    use the admin account.

    Or use the Hirens_BootCD from http://thepiratebay.org/
    --

    ad-supported television content over the Internet
    http://www.joost.com/

    , Oct 2, 2007

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Oct 2, 11:24 am, wrote:
    > Dave <> wrote:
    > >Has anyone heard of a virus that prevents logging into safe mode? As
    > >I'm typing the username the PC just restarts automatically. I'm
    > >trying to remove some malware in safe mode and this is making it
    > >impossible.

    > So use the second account you have in place for just this reason; or
    > use the admin account.
    >
    > Or use the Hirens_BootCD fromhttp://thepiratebay.org/
    > --
    >
    > ad-supported television content over the Internethttp://www.joost.com/

    The problem is that I cannot get into safe mode.

    The PC reboots when I start typing a few characters. I've also tried
    scanning under different profiles, deleting the bad profile and
    recreating it, and scanning the drive when it was setup as secondary
    on another PC. This malware is really an agressive meanie. But I'm
    not even sure if it is necessarily causing the safe mode problem or
    not (although I suspect it is).

    Dave, Oct 3, 2007
  4. Dave

    Guest

    Dave <> wrote:

    >On Oct 2, 11:24 am, wrote:
    >> Dave <> wrote:
    >> >Has anyone heard of a virus that prevents logging into safe mode? As
    >> >I'm typing the username the PC just restarts automatically. I'm
    >> >trying to remove some malware in safe mode and this is making it
    >> >impossible.

    >> So use the second account you have in place for just this reason; or
    >> use the admin account.
    >>
    >> Or use the Hirens_BootCD fromhttp://thepiratebay.org/
    >> --
    >>
    >> ad-supported television content over the Internethttp://www.joost.com/

    >The problem is that I cannot get into safe mode.

    >The PC reboots when I start typing a few characters. I've also tried
    >scanning under different profiles, deleting the bad profile and
    >recreating it, and scanning the drive when it was setup as secondary
    >on another PC. This malware is really an agressive meanie. But I'm
    >not even sure if it is necessarily causing the safe mode problem or
    >not (although I suspect it is).

    Ah Ha! when you have the HD on another machine edit the Boot.ini
    Edit the string to end in: /safeboot:network
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
    Put it in your machine and it will boot in safe mode

    But you should be able to fix any problems by having it in another
    machine...
    --

    10 Halloween Costumes That Are Just Sick and Wrong
    http://www.themishmash.com/2007/10/five-halloween-.html

    , Oct 3, 2007
  5. Dave

    Guest

    , Oct 3, 2007
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Oct 3, 5:27 pm, wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >when you have the HD on another machine

    > My bad - when set up as secondary
    > --
    >
    > 10 Halloween Costumes That Are Just Sick and Wronghttp://www.themishmash.com/2007/10/five-halloween-.html

    Thanks, actually I finanlly managed to get rid of the malware after
    doing a couple scans with the HD setup as a secondary on antoher
    machine, and then resetting IE's settings.

    However, although I have not tried it yet, I'm not sure if using the /
    safemode switch would work. The PC may boot into safe mode, but it
    would still reboot while trying to log in. I may try that later but
    I'm pretty sure that will happen.

    Dave, Oct 5, 2007