PC Restarting?!?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Matthew J, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Matthew J

    Matthew J Guest

    hi all,

    my dad has an AMD Duron 1100 ASUS A7V8X-SE, 256 MB RAM, 40Gb seagate
    HDD

    i know the ram has errors/faults in it. and you Can use the computer
    for sometimes 5 minutes and other times for about 4 hrs, and then it
    will just automatically restart!

    i have reinstalled windows and it does it again, it does it on both
    Windows 2K Professional and Windows XP Professional!

    not sure what the problem is, could the processor cache be causing it,
    if it had a problem, as i am not entirely confident about the
    processors quality, but just wondering if the ram although faulty
    could cause it, if i buy new ram i would like it to know that it would
    fix it.

    thanks in advance

    matt

    Matthew J, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Matthew J

    Thor Guest

    "Matthew J" <> wrote in message
    > hi all,
    >
    > my dad has an AMD Duron 1100 ASUS A7V8X-SE, 256 MB RAM, 40Gb seagate
    > HDD
    >
    > i know the ram has errors/faults in it. and you Can use the computer
    > for sometimes 5 minutes and other times for about 4 hrs, and then it
    > will just automatically restart!
    >
    > i have reinstalled windows and it does it again, it does it on both
    > Windows 2K Professional and Windows XP Professional!
    >
    > not sure what the problem is, could the processor cache be causing it,
    > if it had a problem, as i am not entirely confident about the
    > processors quality, but just wondering if the ram although faulty
    > could cause it, if i buy new ram i would like it to know that it would
    > fix it.

    You acknowledge that the RAM has faults, but wonder if that could cause the
    crashing? The answer is HELL YES! The integrity of the RAM is absolutely
    crucial to stable operation. Additionally, you do not elaborate how you
    *know* the RAM is faulty. How did you arrive at this conclusion? I ask,
    because the problems you are encountering can have other causes. But, if you
    are certain that the RAM is faulty though, that would clearly be the FIRST
    thing to fix in the quest to solve these issues.

    Thor, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Matthew J

    km Guest

    On 15 Sep 2004 20:22:53 -0700, (Matthew J)
    wrote:

    >hi all,
    >
    >my dad has an AMD Duron 1100 ASUS A7V8X-SE, 256 MB RAM, 40Gb seagate
    >HDD
    >
    >i know the ram has errors/faults in it. and you Can use the computer
    >for sometimes 5 minutes and other times for about 4 hrs, and then it
    >will just automatically restart!
    >
    >i have reinstalled windows and it does it again, it does it on both
    >Windows 2K Professional and Windows XP Professional!
    >
    >not sure what the problem is, could the processor cache be causing it,
    >if it had a problem, as i am not entirely confident about the
    >processors quality, but just wondering if the ram although faulty
    >could cause it, if i buy new ram i would like it to know that it would
    >fix it.
    >
    >thanks in advance
    >
    >matt

    Are you sure the RAM is faulty. From my experience the installation of
    WinXP would be a problem if the memory was faulty A classic symptom
    being that the installation says it cannot read files when they are
    being copied from the CD during the early part of installation.

    The turning off randomly sounds like a Power Supply problem. If it
    isn't up to the job it may be triggering restart when the processor
    comes under pressure and heats up when running power hungry software.

    KM

    km, Sep 17, 2004