PC Recorded DVD Keeps Rolling Vertically On DVD Player Hooked To TV ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, May 29, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Have been burning a lot of pictures, and some music DVD's/concerts that my
    kid downloaded (legally) that I have on my Dell Dimension 4700 PC onto DVD-R
    disks. Has been going well, and have been able to read the disks on the PC,
    or on my Panasonic DVD player (a very typical, low cost one)
    connected to my TV.

    Not too sharp with this, and frankly kind of thrilled that it has been going
    as well as it has.

    Two questions, please:

    a. Am surprised that the software I am using to burn the disks never asks,
    apparently, if I want to "finalize" them. Not too sure what this does, or
    where needed, but I remember reading that you can't play DVD disks in
    "other" equipment, unless you do this finalization step. Can someone please
    explain why, possibly, the software doesn't ask about this, and when/where
    this step is necessary ?

    b. My bigger concern:

    After about 6 disks that have gone fine, the next one won't play (correctly)
    on my Panasonic DVD that is hooked up the TV.
    It does play just fine, though, on the PC that created it.
    Truly believed that I haven't changed anything, and have done it the same as
    all the others.
    Using Record Now (and also Power DVD)

    What happens is that the pictures are there, but it keeps rolling
    vertically.
    Like in the old days when you had a "Vertical Hold" on the TV's to correct
    the problem when the picture started rolling.

    Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be happening, and how to fix ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, May 29, 2005

  2. Robert11

    John Holmes Guest

    "Robert11" <> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Have been burning a lot of pictures, and some music DVD's/concerts
    > that my kid downloaded (legally) that I have on my Dell Dimension 4700
    > PC onto DVD-R disks. Has been going well, and have been able to read
    > the disks on the PC, or on my Panasonic DVD player (a very typical,
    > low cost one) connected to my TV.
    >
    > Not too sharp with this, and frankly kind of thrilled that it has been
    > going as well as it has.
    >
    > Two questions, please:
    >
    > a. Am surprised that the software I am using to burn the disks never
    > asks, apparently, if I want to "finalize" them. Not too sure what
    > this does, or where needed, but I remember reading that you can't play
    > DVD disks in "other" equipment, unless you do this finalization step.
    > Can someone please explain why, possibly, the software doesn't ask
    > about this, and when/where this step is necessary ?
    >
    > b. My bigger concern:
    >
    > After about 6 disks that have gone fine, the next one won't play
    > (correctly) on my Panasonic DVD that is hooked up the TV.
    > It does play just fine, though, on the PC that created it.
    > Truly believed that I haven't changed anything, and have done it the
    > same as all the others.
    > Using Record Now (and also Power DVD)
    >
    > What happens is that the pictures are there, but it keeps rolling
    > vertically.
    > Like in the old days when you had a "Vertical Hold" on the TV's to
    > correct the problem when the picture started rolling.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be happening, and how to fix
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    It might help if you mention which software you're using for burning.
    There are lots of people in this group who can support you when they know
    about the software you're using.
    In the mean time, I'll be firing up my BBQ. I don't need any help with
    that, for now.

    --
    Your mother was a saucy demon who held farting competitions in a large
    vat of porridge.

    John Holmes, May 29, 2005

  3. Robert11

    old jon Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert11" <> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> Have been burning a lot of pictures, and some music DVD's/concerts
    >> that my kid downloaded (legally) that I have on my Dell Dimension 4700
    >> PC onto DVD-R disks. Has been going well, and have been able to read
    >> the disks on the PC, or on my Panasonic DVD player (a very typical,
    >> low cost one) connected to my TV.
    >>
    >> Not too sharp with this, and frankly kind of thrilled that it has been
    >> going as well as it has.
    >>
    >> Two questions, please:
    >>
    >> a. Am surprised that the software I am using to burn the disks never
    >> asks, apparently, if I want to "finalize" them. Not too sure what
    >> this does, or where needed, but I remember reading that you can't play
    >> DVD disks in "other" equipment, unless you do this finalization step.
    >> Can someone please explain why, possibly, the software doesn't ask
    >> about this, and when/where this step is necessary ?
    >>
    >> b. My bigger concern:
    >>
    >> After about 6 disks that have gone fine, the next one won't play
    >> (correctly) on my Panasonic DVD that is hooked up the TV.
    >> It does play just fine, though, on the PC that created it.
    >> Truly believed that I haven't changed anything, and have done it the
    >> same as all the others.
    >> Using Record Now (and also Power DVD)
    >>
    >> What happens is that the pictures are there, but it keeps rolling
    >> vertically.
    >> Like in the old days when you had a "Vertical Hold" on the TV's to
    >> correct the problem when the picture started rolling.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be happening, and how to fix
    >> ?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob

    > It might help if you mention which software you're using for burning.
    > There are lots of people in this group who can support you when they know
    > about the software you're using.

    John boy, I`m gonna have to lend you my glasses, he says:
    Using Record Now (and also Power DVD)
    best wishes. ..J

    old jon, May 29, 2005
  4. Robert11

    John Holmes Guest

    "old jon" <> blabbered in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John boy, I`m gonna have to lend you my glasses, he says:
    > Using Record Now (and also Power DVD)
    > best wishes. ..J

    OK, OK....
    Didn't read that part. Do you have any suggestions to help the poor sod?

    --
    Your mother was a barren washroom attendant who flirted outrageously
    amongst cavemen in a time loop.

    John Holmes, May 29, 2005
  5. Robert11

    jeff Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:26:23 +0200 (CEST), John Holmes
    <> wrote:

    >"Robert11" <> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> Have been burning a lot of pictures, and some music DVD's/concerts
    >> that my kid downloaded (legally) that I have on my Dell Dimension 4700
    >> PC onto DVD-R disks. Has been going well, and have been able to read
    >> the disks on the PC, or on my Panasonic DVD player (a very typical,
    >> low cost one) connected to my TV.
    >>
    >> Not too sharp with this, and frankly kind of thrilled that it has been
    >> going as well as it has.
    >>
    >> Two questions, please:
    >>
    >> a. Am surprised that the software I am using to burn the disks never
    >> asks, apparently, if I want to "finalize" them. Not too sure what
    >> this does, or where needed, but I remember reading that you can't play
    >> DVD disks in "other" equipment, unless you do this finalization step.
    >> Can someone please explain why, possibly, the software doesn't ask
    >> about this, and when/where this step is necessary ?
    >>
    >> b. My bigger concern:
    >>
    >> After about 6 disks that have gone fine, the next one won't play
    >> (correctly) on my Panasonic DVD that is hooked up the TV.
    >> It does play just fine, though, on the PC that created it.
    >> Truly believed that I haven't changed anything, and have done it the
    >> same as all the others.
    >> Using Record Now (and also Power DVD)
    >>
    >> What happens is that the pictures are there, but it keeps rolling
    >> vertically.
    >> Like in the old days when you had a "Vertical Hold" on the TV's to
    >> correct the problem when the picture started rolling.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be happening, and how to fix
    >> ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob
    >>

    >It might help if you mention which software you're using for burning.
    >There are lots of people in this group who can support you when they know
    >about the software you're using.
    >In the mean time, I'll be firing up my BBQ. I don't need any help with
    >that, for now.

    its a PAL encoded video if its rolling

    jeff, May 30, 2005