    drive it takes a very long time, and it just shots down when defragmenting
    the drive. Can some on help please..

    Thanks.
    Fernando, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Fernando

    dave Guest

    Fernando wrote:
    > Hello there, I hope every one is having a great Christmas, and may GOD bless
    > you all. I have a question provided some one can help me. My pc is
    > generic, have 512mb mem, and a Athlon processor but it just shots down from
    > time to time. I can be on the net or just doing word processing, or just
    > trying to defrag the drive and it will just shot down. Also, to defrag the
    > drive it takes a very long time, and it just shots down when defragmenting
    > the drive. Can some on help please..
    >
    > Thanks.

    Merry Christmas...

    I'm a pagan, and I worship the porcelian throne.

    When I pray to my god, I contribute in the only
    way I know how, and he accepts readily.

    Only infrequently does he refuse my sacrifices :)

    But, in answer to your question....

    Your power supply is dying.

    I hope you have some money left over from Christmas
    shopping.

    You'll need to replace the power supply.

    To not know is bad, to not *want* to know is worse...
    ---AFRICAN PROVERB
    dave, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Fernando

    Syphillus Guest

    "Navin R. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:27:33 GMT, "Fernando" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > I've seen a few Dell systems and at least one HP with the same problem.
    > Turned out to be a CPU overheat setting in the BIOS was set too low. The
    > motherboard shuts the system down if either the CPU fan stops turning or
    > the CPU temp goes too high. If I remember right, the boards were
    > originally set to shutdown at 58 degrees centigrade, the lowest
    > available setting. I changed the setting to 65C and it solved the
    > problem. Although it didn't solve the poor air flow problem in the Dell
    > & HP systems. Dell + HP = CRAP.... IMO.... You might want to vacuum out
    > the dust and make sure all the fans are spinning.

    I agree... sounds like a heat prob w/ CPU... I would look into that before
    you dump the Power Supply..
    follow navins advice...
    --
    Syphilus

    ---
    Syphillus, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Fernando

    dave hanson Guest

    Fernando,
    You are having a thermaling problem.....make sure the
    powersupply cooling fan is working and not all clogged up with dust. Same
    goes for the heatsink fan if there is one.
    If your processor does not have a fan on the heatsink you
    might want to get one. I am a big AMD fan, but their processors are know to
    run hot. I put a supper heat sink on my Athalon XP and saw a difference in
    speed.

    dave hanson, Dec 30, 2003