PC Powers Up, then switches off

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Simon Harris, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm building a new system, using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, new 450w PSU, and an
    AMD Athlon 2600+ XP.

    When I power it up, the PSU and CPU fans switch on, then 1 second later it
    shuts down. I have to power off at the mains to switch on again.

    I have the system setup * out of the case * with only a CPU, power supply
    and power switch connected.

    I've tried 2 CPUs, and 2 power supplies (One of each in known to be good
    working order)

    Have also tried the CPUs in another rig, and they work AOK.

    Have tried resetting the BIOS (Remove battery, short the jumpers).

    The only related jumper on the board I can see is the FSB which I had set to
    200mhz when I had a Duron 1000 in there, and default when I had the 2600+ XP
    in.

    With no CPU installed, the fans stay on, and I get a voice message 'No CPU
    Installed' (This particular m/b has voice diagnostic messages).

    Have I missed anything? Do I have a faulty M/B?

    Cheers!

    Simon.

    --
    -
    * Please reply to group for the benefit of all

    It has removed 8259 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

    Simon Harris, Aug 5, 2006

  2. Simon Harris

    Rod Speed Guest

    Simon Harris <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm building a new system, using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, new 450w PSU,
    > and an AMD Athlon 2600+ XP.
    >
    > When I power it up, the PSU and CPU fans switch on, then 1 second
    > later it shuts down. I have to power off at the mains to switch on
    > again.
    > I have the system setup * out of the case * with only a CPU, power
    > supply and power switch connected.
    >
    > I've tried 2 CPUs, and 2 power supplies (One of each in known to be
    > good working order)
    >
    > Have also tried the CPUs in another rig, and they work AOK.
    >
    > Have tried resetting the BIOS (Remove battery, short the jumpers).
    >
    > The only related jumper on the board I can see is the FSB which I had
    > set to 200mhz when I had a Duron 1000 in there, and default when I
    > had the 2600+ XP in.
    >
    > With no CPU installed, the fans stay on, and I get a voice message
    > 'No CPU Installed' (This particular m/b has voice diagnostic
    > messages).
    > Have I missed anything? Do I have a faulty M/B?

    Try resetting the cmos, CLRTC1 jumper.

    Rod Speed, Aug 5, 2006

  3. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    Thanks for your reply - I've already tried that. No luck.

    Any other ideas? I'm thinking its a dead m/b...

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Simon Harris <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I'm building a new system, using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, new 450w PSU,
    >> and an AMD Athlon 2600+ XP.
    >>
    >> When I power it up, the PSU and CPU fans switch on, then 1 second
    >> later it shuts down. I have to power off at the mains to switch on
    >> again.
    >> I have the system setup * out of the case * with only a CPU, power
    >> supply and power switch connected.
    >>
    >> I've tried 2 CPUs, and 2 power supplies (One of each in known to be
    >> good working order)
    >>
    >> Have also tried the CPUs in another rig, and they work AOK.
    >>
    >> Have tried resetting the BIOS (Remove battery, short the jumpers).
    >>
    >> The only related jumper on the board I can see is the FSB which I had
    >> set to 200mhz when I had a Duron 1000 in there, and default when I
    >> had the 2600+ XP in.
    >>
    >> With no CPU installed, the fans stay on, and I get a voice message
    >> 'No CPU Installed' (This particular m/b has voice diagnostic
    >> messages).
    >> Have I missed anything? Do I have a faulty M/B?

    > Try resetting the cmos, CLRTC1 jumper.

    It has removed 8264 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

    Simon Harris, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Simon Harris

    Rod Speed Guest

    Simon Harris <> wrote

    > Thanks for your reply - I've already tried that. No luck.

    > Any other ideas?

    Try the latest bios.

    > I'm thinking its a dead m/b...

    Unlikely that it would die when you changed the cpu unless you
    reefed it out of the socket and damaged that in the process.

    Rod Speed, Aug 6, 2006
  5. Simon Harris

    Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed <> wrote
    > Simon Harris <> wrote

    >> Thanks for your reply - I've already tried that. No luck.

    >> Any other ideas?

    > Try the latest bios.

    >> I'm thinking its a dead m/b...

    > Unlikely that it would die when you changed the cpu unless you
    > reefed it out of the socket and damaged that in the process.

    What happens if you go back to the Duron that it used to work with ?

    If that doesnt work, you've likely killed it in the process of changing cpus.

    Rod Speed, Aug 6, 2006
  6. Simon Harris

    Simon Harris Guest

    The m/b came from a shop (brand new, but old stock) the Duron works AOK in
    an older system I have, just not in the new board. I was very careful
    installing the proc/heat sink/fan etc, using a wrist strap and the board was
    resting on an anti-static bag.

    I reckon its back to the shop for this one.

    Simon Harris, Aug 6, 2006
  7. Simon Harris

    Alan Guest

    Simon Harris wrote:
    > The m/b came from a shop (brand new, but old stock) the Duron works AOK in
    > an older system I have, just not in the new board. I was very careful
    > installing the proc/heat sink/fan etc, using a wrist strap and the board was
    > resting on an anti-static bag.
    >
    > I reckon its back to the shop for this one.
    >
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >> Rod Speed <> wrote
    >>> Simon Harris <> wrote
    >>> Try the latest bios.
    >>> Unlikely that it would die when you changed the cpu unless you
    >>> reefed it out of the socket and damaged that in the process.

    >> What happens if you go back to the Duron that it used to work with ?
    >>
    >> If that doesnt work, you've likely killed it in the process of changing
    >> cpus.

    > It has removed 8264 spam emails to date.
    > Try SPAMfighter for free now!

    Sounds like the common denominator... Voice diagnostic sounds creepy,
    but 100x better than decyphering the beeps!

    Alan, Aug 7, 2006