PC powers up, then down, then up again!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Moke Gibboni, Feb 28, 2008.

  1. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    It appears that I am not the only one who suffers from this weird
    phenomenon, but does anyone out there know how to solve it?

    I've just had an upgrade on my PC to an MSI P35/G33 Neo motherboard with a
    Pentium Intel Core Duo 2.66GHz processor and an nVidia 8800 graphics card.

    When I go out for the day, I switch the PC and all the peripherals off at
    the mains socket on the wall. When I return in the evening, I switch the
    wall socket on again and switch the PC on (on the front panel). The PC
    powers up for about 5 seconds and then completely powers itself down for
    another 5 seconds, and then without any input from me, it powers itself up
    again and am then able to carry on using my PC as normal.

    The only way I can prevent this from happening, is NOT to switch off the
    mains wall socket when I've finished using my PC. If I do that, then the PC
    does not power itself down after switch on.

    Has anyone come across this situation before, and if so, is there any way to
    fix this problem? I'm sure it can't be a normal start-up procedure!

    I've just upgraded the power supply to a 600W one from my previous 400W one,
    as I thought (wrongly) that that would solve the problem, but no joy there.

    I would appreciate any feedback regarding correcting (if it's possible) this
    anomoly.

    Thanks,

    Moke G.
    Moke Gibboni, Feb 28, 2008

  2. Moke Gibboni

    Rôgêr Guest

    Moke Gibboni wrote:
    > It appears that I am not the only one who suffers from this weird
    > phenomenon, but does anyone out there know how to solve it?
    >
    > I've just had an upgrade on my PC to an MSI P35/G33 Neo motherboard with a
    > Pentium Intel Core Duo 2.66GHz processor and an nVidia 8800 graphics card.
    >
    > When I go out for the day, I switch the PC and all the peripherals off at
    > the mains socket on the wall. When I return in the evening, I switch the
    > wall socket on again and switch the PC on (on the front panel). The PC
    > powers up for about 5 seconds and then completely powers itself down for
    > another 5 seconds, and then without any input from me, it powers itself up
    > again and am then able to carry on using my PC as normal.
    >
    > The only way I can prevent this from happening, is NOT to switch off the
    > mains wall socket when I've finished using my PC. If I do that, then the PC
    > does not power itself down after switch on.
    >
    > Has anyone come across this situation before, and if so, is there any way to
    > fix this problem? I'm sure it can't be a normal start-up procedure!
    >
    > I've just upgraded the power supply to a 600W one from my previous 400W one,
    > as I thought (wrongly) that that would solve the problem, but no joy there.
    >
    > I would appreciate any feedback regarding correcting (if it's possible) this
    > anomoly.

    Bad power switch on the PC.
    Rôgêr, Feb 28, 2008

  3. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >> It appears that I am not the only one who suffers from this weird
    >> phenomenon, but does anyone out there know how to solve it?
    >>
    >> I've just had an upgrade on my PC to an MSI P35/G33 Neo motherboard with
    >> a Pentium Intel Core Duo 2.66GHz processor and an nVidia 8800 graphics
    >> card.
    >>
    >> When I go out for the day, I switch the PC and all the peripherals off at
    >> the mains socket on the wall. When I return in the evening, I switch the
    >> wall socket on again and switch the PC on (on the front panel). The PC
    >> powers up for about 5 seconds and then completely powers itself down for
    >> another 5 seconds, and then without any input from me, it powers itself
    >> up again and am then able to carry on using my PC as normal.
    >>
    >> The only way I can prevent this from happening, is NOT to switch off the
    >> mains wall socket when I've finished using my PC. If I do that, then the
    >> PC does not power itself down after switch on.
    >>
    >> Has anyone come across this situation before, and if so, is there any way
    >> to fix this problem? I'm sure it can't be a normal start-up procedure!
    >>
    >> I've just upgraded the power supply to a 600W one from my previous 400W
    >> one, as I thought (wrongly) that that would solve the problem, but no joy
    >> there.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any feedback regarding correcting (if it's possible)
    >> this anomoly.

    > Bad power switch on the PC.

    I don't think that that is the problem, otherwise, if that were the answer,
    then it wouldn't do it everytime I switch on, but just ocassionally. But
    thanks for the suggestion anyway.

    Moke G.
    Moke Gibboni, Feb 28, 2008
  4. Moke Gibboni

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Moke Gibboni wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >>> It appears that I am not the only one who suffers from this weird
    >>> phenomenon, but does anyone out there know how to solve it?
    >>>
    >>> I've just had an upgrade on my PC to an MSI P35/G33 Neo motherboard with
    >>> a Pentium Intel Core Duo 2.66GHz processor and an nVidia 8800 graphics
    >>> card.
    >>>
    >>> When I go out for the day, I switch the PC and all the peripherals off at
    >>> the mains socket on the wall. When I return in the evening, I switch the
    >>> wall socket on again and switch the PC on (on the front panel). The PC
    >>> powers up for about 5 seconds and then completely powers itself down for
    >>> another 5 seconds, and then without any input from me, it powers itself
    >>> up again and am then able to carry on using my PC as normal.
    >>>
    >>> The only way I can prevent this from happening, is NOT to switch off the
    >>> mains wall socket when I've finished using my PC. If I do that, then the
    >>> PC does not power itself down after switch on.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone come across this situation before, and if so, is there any way
    >>> to fix this problem? I'm sure it can't be a normal start-up procedure!
    >>>
    >>> I've just upgraded the power supply to a 600W one from my previous 400W
    >>> one, as I thought (wrongly) that that would solve the problem, but no joy
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> I would appreciate any feedback regarding correcting (if it's possible)
    >>> this anomoly.

    >> Bad power switch on the PC.

    > I don't think that that is the problem, otherwise, if that were the answer,
    > then it wouldn't do it everytime I switch on, but just ocassionally. But
    > thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    >

    > Moke G.

    Somewhere between the POST code (BIOS) and the ACPI (power s/w) there is
    a switch that tells the power to actually shut off or not. If your
    system actually reboots when you have told it to "power off" then that's
    your problem. Use f8 to access the Bios...

    might help, might not:
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-bugs/2006-May/016164.html
    Rick Merrill, Mar 1, 2008
  5. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> Bad power switch on the PC.

    >> I don't think that that is the problem, otherwise, if that were the
    >> answer, then it wouldn't do it everytime I switch on, but just
    >> ocassionally. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    >>

    >> Moke G.
    >>

    > Somewhere between the POST code (BIOS) and the ACPI (power s/w) there is a
    > switch that tells the power to actually shut off or not. If your system
    > actually reboots when you have told it to "power off" then that's your
    > problem. Use f8 to access the Bios...
    >
    > might help, might not:
    > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-bugs/2006-May/016164.html

    Hi Rick -- reading up about this, it looks like it's a hardware design fault
    in the chipset. The only way I can stop it doing the 'double boot' at
    startup is to leave the PC plugged in and switched on at the wall. That way
    I can switch off the PC and it won't 'double boot' at startup.

    Moke G.

    'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the job.'
    Moke Gibboni, Mar 2, 2008