    not sure if it works

    thanks
    me

    me, Jan 1, 2006

  2. me

    Trax Guest

    "me" <> wrote:

    |>Is it possible to test a PC PSU while it is outside the PC? ie,not connected
    |>to any of the equipment inside,but just plugged into the power outlet?
    |>Or does it have to be actually plugged in to all the bits inside the
    |>computer.? I just want to know before i install a different PSU which i am
    |>not sure if it works

    Yes, but you should have a load on it, just hook a spare HD or two to
    it. helpful PS link http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

    --
    50 Best Firefox Extensions for Power Surfing
    http://tinyurl.com/9usdj

    Trax, Jan 1, 2006

  3. me

    Maybe Guest

    me wrote:
    > Is it possible to test a PC PSU while it is outside the PC? ie,not connected
    > to any of the equipment inside,but just plugged into the power outlet?
    > Or does it have to be actually plugged in to all the bits inside the
    > computer.? I just want to know before i install a different PSU which i am
    > not sure if it works
    >
    > thanks
    > me

    Any PSU can be powered thru the input pair (make sure that all output
    pairs are isolated). The voltages can be read at the output pairs.
    Some may read somewhat higher than the operational voltage due to there
    being no loads applied.

    Maybe, Jan 1, 2006

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PS-101&cpc=SCH&srm=0

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 1, 2006
  5. me

    me Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > "me" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>Is it possible to test a PC PSU while it is outside the PC? ie,not
    > connected
    > |>to any of the equipment inside,but just plugged into the power outlet?
    > |>Or does it have to be actually plugged in to all the bits inside the
    > |>computer.? I just want to know before i install a different PSU which i
    > am
    > |>not sure if it works
    >
    > Yes, but you should have a load on it, just hook a spare HD or two to
    > it. helpful PS link http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm
    >
    > --

    Thanks Trax.I'll try that. If i get no joy from that i guess it could be
    dead.

    me, Jan 1, 2006
  6. me

    Plato Guest

    me wrote:

    > Is it possible to test a PC PSU while it is outside the PC? ie,not connected
    > to any of the equipment inside,but just plugged into the power outlet?
    > Or does it have to be actually plugged in to all the bits inside the
    > computer.? I just want to know before i install a different PSU which i am
    > not sure if it works

    These days you really have to at least connect it to a system first,
    even if you dont screw it it [mount it yet], it still needs a load. Yes
    it sucks when you only got one pc and no test pc. Things got more
    complicated when we went from AT to ATX ps's.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 2, 2006
  7. me

    me Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > me wrote:
    >>
    >> Is it possible to test a PC PSU while it is outside the PC? ie,not
    >> connected
    >> to any of the equipment inside,but just plugged into the power outlet?
    >> Or does it have to be actually plugged in to all the bits inside the
    >> computer.? I just want to know before i install a different PSU which i
    >> am
    >> not sure if it works

    > These days you really have to at least connect it to a system first,
    > even if you dont screw it it [mount it yet], it still needs a load. Yes
    > it sucks when you only got one pc and no test pc. Things got more
    > complicated when we went from AT to ATX ps's.

    If there is no load and i just plug it in and switch it on,should it still
    come on,ie fans spin up,etc ?
    Or will it pretend to be dead unless there is an actual load on it?

    me, Jan 2, 2006
  8. me

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 23:00:43 -0800, me wrote:

    >"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> me wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to test a PC PSU while it is outside the PC? ie,not
    >>> connected
    >>> to any of the equipment inside,but just plugged into the power outlet?
    >>> Or does it have to be actually plugged in to all the bits inside the
    >>> computer.? I just want to know before i install a different PSU which i
    >>> am
    >>> not sure if it works

    >> These days you really have to at least connect it to a system first,
    >> even if you dont screw it it [mount it yet], it still needs a load. Yes
    >> it sucks when you only got one pc and no test pc. Things got more
    >> complicated when we went from AT to ATX ps's.
    >>

    >If there is no load and i just plug it in and switch it on,should it still
    >come on,ie fans spin up,etc ?
    >Or will it pretend to be dead unless there is an actual load on it?

    It will pretend to be dead.

    If you mean the PSU fan, so what, it's only 1 fan. It's the current the
    different voltage rails can supply i.e. the load that needed tested.

    http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm
    The presence of the power_ok signal tells the motherboard that the
    power supply is stable, while its absence tells the motherboard to stay
    off to protect itself.

    http://wiki.ehow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply
    How to Convert a Computer ATX Power Supply to a Lab Power Supply
    In the older ATX power supplies, the brown sense wire needs to be
    attached to the 5v wire for the PSU to work.

    Does the PSU fan come on? You can place your voltmeter leads into an
    extra plug (for disk drives). It should read close to 5V (between red
    and black wires). A supply that you have pulled may look dead because it
    does not have a load on it's outputs and the enable output may not be
    grounded (green wire).

    and so on.... , see www.google.com for more - atx psu power_ok

    Me

    why?, Jan 2, 2006
  9. me

    Trax Guest

    "me" <> wrote:

    |>"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    |>> These days you really have to at least connect it to a system first,
    |>> even if you dont screw it it [mount it yet], it still needs a load. Yes
    |>> it sucks when you only got one pc and no test pc. Things got more
    |>> complicated when we went from AT to ATX ps's.
    |>>

    |>If there is no load and i just plug it in and switch it on,should it still
    |>come on,ie fans spin up,etc ?
    |>Or will it pretend to be dead unless there is an actual load on it?

    From the link I supplied earlier, guess I should of mention'd it.

    "As you know, the ATX power supply will not turn on normally without a
    motherboard connected to it. There are times when you may want to
    test an ATX power supply or use the voltage from one but don't really
    want to hook up a motherboard. There's only one green wire and there
    are plenty of ground wires so it's easy to do. To use a bent paper
    clip and insert one end in the green wire connector and bend it around
    and put it into a black wire connector."

    I know this conflicts with Why?'s brown wire, but it works.

    --
    13 things that do not make sense
    http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=mg18524911.600

    Trax, Jan 2, 2006
  10. me

    w_tom Guest

    Whether a power supply needs a load is unique to every
    switcher design - today as it was 30 years ago. Some
    switchers require minimal loading to operate. Others do not.
    If a supply works without a load, then you know only that it
    might be functional. If it does not start without a load,
    then you know only that it might not be functional.

    Only sufficient testing of a supply is to measure voltages
    when supply is fully loaded - ie connected to a computer.
    Furthermore, no minimally sufficient power supply can damage a
    computer. The expression 'minimally sufficient' because so
    many power supplies are dumped into a market where many
    computer assemblers don't have electrical knowledge. A
    minimally sufficient power supply cannot be damaged by the
    load (ie computer) and cannot damage the load. Best way to
    test a power supply is connected to a known good load and then
    confirm numbers with a 3.5 digit multimeter.

    Yes, even defective (marginal) power supplies will spin fans
    and power a computer; and still be defective. Meter (not
    motherboard monitor) is necessary to test a power supply.

    w_tom, Jan 3, 2006
  11. me

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:43:42 -0800, Trax wrote:

    > "me" <> wrote:
    >

    >|>"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >"As you know, the ATX power supply will not turn on normally without a
    >motherboard connected to it. There are times when you may want to
    >test an ATX power supply or use the voltage from one but don't really
    >want to hook up a motherboard. There's only one green wire and there
    >are plenty of ground wires so it's easy to do. To use a bent paper
    >clip and insert one end in the green wire connector and bend it around
    >and put it into a black wire connector."
    >
    >I know this conflicts with Why?'s brown wire, but it works.

    2nd paragraph under the 2nd url mentions the green wire. The 1st
    paragraph says 'older types ' for the brown.

    That's why the URL is there , hopefully the OP would do some reading
    first.

    Me

    why?, Jan 3, 2006