    File is large.
    Do I just need to upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out.
    Opinion?
    02befree, Aug 20, 2007

  2. 02befree

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:54:29 -0700, "02befree" <>
    wrote:

    >Running Win2000 w/ SP4 , Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1GB SDRAM.. and when several
    >Firefox tabs are open, Outlook running, and with maybe Word or something
    >running, my CPU will go to 100% and stall. Most of the time I can cancel
    >some tasks etc. and resume operation and never get a blue screen. My Swap
    >File is large.
    >Do I just need to upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out.
    >Opinion?

    Control-Alt-Delete. What's using up the CPU?
    Evan Platt, Aug 20, 2007

  3. 02befree wrote:

    > Running Win2000 w/ SP4 , Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1GB SDRAM.. and when several
    > Firefox tabs are open, Outlook running, and with maybe Word or something
    > running, my CPU will go to 100% and stall. Most of the time I can cancel
    > some tasks etc. and resume operation and never get a blue screen. My Swap
    > File is large.
    > Do I just need to upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out.
    > Opinion?

    Neither one would help against a firefox addon running amuck and in some
    endless loop. As already suggested, start taskmanager (you may do so in
    advance and mimimize it to the tray) and watch the process tab sorted by
    cpu utilization (click the headers until maximum value shows on top of the
    list). Disable all non-vital addons and autostarts.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Aug 20, 2007
  4. 02befree

    02befree Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:54:29 -0700, "02befree" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Running Win2000 w/ SP4 , Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1GB SDRAM.. and when several
    > >Firefox tabs are open, Outlook running, and with maybe Word or something
    > >running, my CPU will go to 100% and stall. Most of the time I can cancel
    > >some tasks etc. and resume operation and never get a blue screen. My

    Swap
    > >File is large.
    > >Do I just need to upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out.
    > >Opinion?

    > Control-Alt-Delete. What's using up the CPU?

    firefox 94,000k
    outlook 53,000k
    and then my CA Antivirus isafe 18,000
    Firefox when lots of tabs are open gets into the 100,000 range which I
    though was strange.
    CPU running 25% average with Outlook Express (newsreader) and Acrobat Reader
    running also
    The rest of the processes are minor and I run clean of any spyware/virus
    stuff as that is my specialty.
    02befree, Aug 20, 2007
  5. 02befree

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:40:00 -0700, "02befree" <>
    wrote:

    >firefox 94,000k
    >outlook 53,000k
    > and then my CA Antivirus isafe 18,000
    >Firefox when lots of tabs are open gets into the 100,000 range which I
    >though was strange.
    >CPU running 25% average with Outlook Express (newsreader) and Acrobat Reader
    >running also
    >The rest of the processes are minor and I run clean of any spyware/virus
    >stuff as that is my specialty.

    That's memory. What's using the CPU? Look at the CPU column.
    Evan Platt, Aug 20, 2007
  6. 02befree

    Ar Q Guest

    "02befree" <> wrote in message
    > Running Win2000 w/ SP4 , Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1GB SDRAM.. and when several
    > Firefox tabs are open, Outlook running, and with maybe Word or something
    > running, my CPU will go to 100% and stall. Most of the time I can cancel
    > some tasks etc. and resume operation and never get a blue screen. My Swap
    > File is large.
    > Do I just need to upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out.
    > Opinion?

    Nothing will help. There are bad programmers everywhere. Eventually you will
    be running a program which uses "polling", meaning the program uses CPU for
    doing nothing. Your CPU will spike to 100% utilization.
    Ar Q, Aug 20, 2007
  7. 02befree wrote:

    > "Evan Platt" wrote:
    >> "02befree" wrote:
    >>> Running Win2000 w/ SP4 , Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1GB SDRAM.. and when
    >>> several Firefox tabs are open, Outlook running, and with maybe Word
    >>> or something running, my CPU will go to 100% and stall. Most of
    >>> the time I can cancel some tasks etc. and resume operation and
    >>> never get a blue screen. My Swap File is large. Do I just need to
    >>> upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out. Opinion?

    >> Control-Alt-Delete. What's using up the CPU?

    > firefox 94,000k
    > outlook 53,000k
    > and then my CA Antivirus isafe 18,000
    > Firefox when lots of tabs are open gets into the 100,000 range which I
    > though was strange. CPU running 25% average with Outlook Express
    > (newsreader) and Acrobat Reader running also The rest of the
    > processes are minor and I run clean of any spyware/virus stuff as
    > that is my specialty.

    You appear to be reporting the amount of RAM used by these programs, and
    not the "CPU Time", which is what will answer the question.

    Normally, when your computer is sitting idle - you aren't typing,
    downloading, processing anything, have no screensavers in use - CPU
    usage should be near zero. It doesn't matter how much RAM is occupied by
    various applications (to a point).

    You need to look at CPU Time.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 20, 2007
  8. 02befree

    02befree Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > 02befree wrote:
    >
    > > Running Win2000 w/ SP4 , Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1GB SDRAM.. and when several
    > > Firefox tabs are open, Outlook running, and with maybe Word or something
    > > running, my CPU will go to 100% and stall. Most of the time I can

    cancel
    > > some tasks etc. and resume operation and never get a blue screen. My

    Swap
    > > File is large.
    > > Do I just need to upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out.
    > > Opinion?

    > Neither one would help against a firefox addon running amuck and in some
    > endless loop. As already suggested, start taskmanager (you may do so in
    > advance and mimimize it to the tray) and watch the process tab sorted by
    > cpu utilization (click the headers until maximum value shows on top of the
    > list). Disable all non-vital addons and autostarts.

    I suspected something within Firefox since I do have some add-on's and
    extensions, etc running there.
    02befree, Aug 20, 2007
  9. On 8/20/2007 1:54 PM, 02befree after much thought,came up with this jewel:
    > Running Win2000 w/ SP4 , Intel P4 1.6Ghz, 1GB SDRAM.. and when several
    > Firefox tabs are open, Outlook running, and with maybe Word or something
    > running, my CPU will go to 100% and stall. Most of the time I can cancel
    > some tasks etc. and resume operation and never get a blue screen. My Swap
    > File is large.
    > Do I just need to upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out.
    > Opinion?

    Specs are fine for W2K. Do lockups occur right away after boot or after
    a while? Check for a heat problem.
    max
    --
    Virus Removal: http://maxpro4u.freehostingnow.com/removal.html