PC "Not Accessable!"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQmVkZm9yZA==?=, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. I've seen similar question but still acn't figure it out!

    I have two PCs on a WIFI connection (WIFI + modem box)...

    From One PC#1 I can access my shared folders on PC#2 with no problem - PC#2
    has a Firewall but I've set PC#1 as an exception - it all seems to work well!

    Now PC#1 doesn't have a Firewall (excpet for the XP one) - this is currently
    disabled - however when I try to Access PC#1 from PC#2 I get the really
    useful message that it can't be accessed and I don't have permission...

    I can Ping from either machine with no trouble....

    Any suggestion gratefully received...
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQmVkZm9yZA==?=, Sep 12, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQmVkZm9yZA==?=

    Tee Guest

    "Steve Bedford" <Steve > wrote in message
    > I've seen similar question but still acn't figure it out!
    >
    > I have two PCs on a WIFI connection (WIFI + modem box)...
    >
    > From One PC#1 I can access my shared folders on PC#2 with no problem -

    PC#2
    > has a Firewall but I've set PC#1 as an exception - it all seems to work

    well!

    > Now PC#1 doesn't have a Firewall (excpet for the XP one) - this is

    currently
    > disabled - however when I try to Access PC#1 from PC#2 I get the really
    > useful message that it can't be accessed and I don't have permission...

    LOL I like the "really useful message" part. Its certainly nicer than my
    "WTF does that mean?!"

    --
    Tara
    Tee, Sep 12, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQmVkZm9yZA==?=

    Jeff Guest

    Steve,

    If you can ping, but not access or even see in the network, try accessing it
    by IP address. Often the problem is a "master browser issue" meaning PC #2
    simply has the wrong IP address (or no IP address) for PC #1. Go to the
    network connections for PC #1. Right-click and choose Status and then choose
    the support tab. Next open any windows browser (open My computer for
    example) and type "\\" followed by the IP address of computer one. It would
    look something like "\\192.168.1.2" and hit enter. Often this will not only
    open the shared files on the problem computer, but it will fix the problem
    until the IP address changes.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Sep 13, 2004