    to a music or video file? My virus scanner and spyware remover didn't
    pick up on anything, but I know these programs can run undetected. I'd
    like to know if this is possible or if I'm just being paranoid. TIA.

    shaw, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Be paranoid it is good. Paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness. However, those
    data files can't do what you purport.

    Just to add to your paranoia, someone can monitor your PC just by the radio frequency
    emissions it radiates.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Dec 4, 2004

  3. David H. Lipman wrote:

    > Be paranoid it is good. Paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness.
    > However, those data files can't do what you purport.
    >
    > Just to add to your paranoia, someone can monitor your PC just by the
    > radio frequency emissions it radiates.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "shaw" <> wrote in message
    > | Is it possible that someone can attach an activity monitoring program
    > | to a music or video file? My virus scanner and spyware remover didn't
    > | pick up on anything, but I know these programs can run undetected. I'd
    > | like to know if this is possible or if I'm just being paranoid. TIA.

    Nice....his theropist is gona be rich.

    -- Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Dec 5, 2004
  4. In article <>, shaw_912
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Is it possible that someone can attach an activity monitoring program
    > to a music or video file? My virus scanner and spyware remover didn't
    > pick up on anything, but I know these programs can run undetected. I'd
    > like to know if this is possible or if I'm just being paranoid. TIA.

    Will the files, themselves, infect you in general? No, but they may
    exploit holes in your player program when you play them. For example,
    there is a vulnerability in older versions of WinAmp that a maliciously
    constructed audio file may exploit and that could certainly do what you
    ask. It is also possible for some video files to contain links that are
    "executed" by MS media player. I suppose it would be possible that the
    page it brings you to then further works to drop a trojan/etc. by
    exploiting a browser vulnerability.

    /steve
    --
    Check out Cotse's Privacy Watch.
    A comprehensive information resource.

    Stephen K. Gielda, Dec 5, 2004
  5. shaw

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:38:57 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Be paranoid it is good. Paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness. However, those
    >data files can't do what you purport.

    You'd better rephrase that.
    Not long ago .jpg files were also considered safe!

    If you suspect that someone is watching you it may well be
    because someone is watching you :)

    Better be paranoid than sorry.

    >"shaw" <> wrote in message
    >| Is it possible that someone can attach an activity monitoring program
    >| to a music or video file? My virus scanner and spyware remover didn't
    >| pick up on anything, but I know these programs can run undetected. I'd
    >| like to know if this is possible or if I'm just being paranoid. TIA.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Dec 5, 2004
  6. shaw

    Pete Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:38:57 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >>| Is it possible that someone can attach an activity monitoring program
    >>| to a music or video file? My virus scanner and spyware remover didn't
    >>| pick up on anything, but I know these programs can run undetected. I'd
    >>| like to know if this is possible or if I'm just being paranoid. TIA.

    >Be paranoid it is good. Paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness. However, those
    >data files can't do what you purport.
    >
    >Just to add to your paranoia, someone can monitor your PC just by the radio frequency
    >emissions it radiates.

    Are you referring to TEMPEST ? Transient Electro Magnetic Pulse Emanation
    Surveillance Technology ?

    If so, or similar, I'd have thought you'd need to be in deep trouble already
    before that kind of operation is set up.

    Perhaps Shaw is ... who knows. :)

    Regards,

    Pete.

    Pete, Dec 5, 2004