PC Monitor Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Oct 10, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Was in Best Buy this AM looking at 19" and 20" 19:6 ratio PC Monitors.

    Everyone they had, had a listed Contrast Ratio (static) of 1,000 to 1

    Is this pretty much the "standard" for these sizes of monitors these days ?

    If not, how important in the "viewing-experience" would it be to get a
    better one ?
    Recommendations ?

    Besides contrast ratio (static) and I guess the pixel size, what else is
    really important in selecting one ?

    Might as well also ask: are the ones offered in these sizes by Dell and/or
    HP pretty good, or should I go to
    Amazon, or even Best Buy, to get one ?

    Hate to order one thru the mail without seeing the pix.

    Who makes the "best" these days ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Oct 10, 2009

  2. Robert11

    XS11E Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    > Besides contrast ratio (static) and I guess the pixel size, what
    > else is really important in selecting one ?
    >
    > Might as well also ask: are the ones offered in these sizes by
    > Dell and/or HP pretty good, or should I go to
    > Amazon, or even Best Buy, to get one ?
    >
    > Hate to order one thru the mail without seeing the pix.

    You need to look at text. Almost all LCD monitors display great color
    pictures, they don't do as well with text and yet that's what you'll be
    looking at most of the time if you're a typical PC user. Try reading a
    text file, if necessary in the store have the clerk browse to a .txt or
    ..log file in Windows and then change the screen resolution to other
    than the monitor's optimum. I found the monitor I bought some years
    back, a Hyundai L90D, was far and away the best if I changed
    resolution, some major brands because almost unreadable if other than
    the optimum resolution was used!

    Don't hesitate to order one through the mail if you first see it in the
    store, you'll probably save money! Check NewEgg, Amazon, Tiger Direct,
    etc.

    BTW, neither HP or Dell make monitors, they sell monitors made by who
    knows with their name on them.

    > Who makes the "best" these days ?

    "Best" in which way?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Oct 10, 2009

  3. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Was in Best Buy this AM looking at 19" and 20" 19:6 ratio PC Monitors.

    You forgot to say what you are planning on doing with this monitor.

    Some people are watching HDTV on theirs or doing video work. Some other
    people are playing games which have demanding graphics.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 10, 2009
  4. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Was in Best Buy this AM looking at 19" and 20" 19:6 ratio PC Monitors.
    >
    > Everyone they had, had a listed Contrast Ratio (static) of 1,000 to 1
    >
    > Is this pretty much the "standard" for these sizes of monitors these
    > days ?
    >
    > If not, how important in the "viewing-experience" would it be to get a
    > better one ?
    > Recommendations ?
    >
    > Besides contrast ratio (static) and I guess the pixel size, what else is
    > really important in selecting one ?

    Mean time between pixel failures and The minimum number of failed pixels
    for free replacement under warrenty.

    > Who makes the "best" these days ?

    Sony. As a *brand* name - *not* labelled with someone elses.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 10, 2009
  5. Robert11

    XS11E Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > "Robert11" <> wrote in

    >> Who makes the "best" these days ?
    >>

    > Sony. As a *brand* name - *not* labelled with someone elses.

    Sony was one I compared, it was much inferior to the Hyundai when
    changed to a non-optimum resolution.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Oct 10, 2009
  6. On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:14:45 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >"Robert11" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Was in Best Buy this AM looking at 19" and 20" 19:6 ratio PC Monitors.
    >>
    >> Everyone they had, had a listed Contrast Ratio (static) of 1,000 to 1
    >>
    >> Is this pretty much the "standard" for these sizes of monitors these
    >> days ?
    >>
    >> If not, how important in the "viewing-experience" would it be to get a
    >> better one ?
    >> Recommendations ?
    >>
    >> Besides contrast ratio (static) and I guess the pixel size, what else is
    >> really important in selecting one ?
    >>

    >Mean time between pixel failures and The minimum number of failed pixels
    >for free replacement under warrenty.
    >>
    >> Who makes the "best" these days ?
    >>

    >Sony. As a *brand* name - *not* labelled with someone elses.

    The Sony monitor I had broke down just after its warranty expired. I
    now use DGM monitors which are as good as the Sony ever was and a
    fraction of the price.

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Oct 10, 2009
  7. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    XS11E <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Robert11" <> wrote in

    >>> Who makes the "best" these days ?
    >>>

    >> Sony. As a *brand* name - *not* labelled with someone elses.

    > Sony was one I compared, it was much inferior to the Hyundai when
    > changed to a non-optimum resolution.

    And how much did you pay for each monitor and which models were they?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 10, 2009
  8. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:14:45 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Robert11" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Was in Best Buy this AM looking at 19" and 20" 19:6 ratio PC Monitors.
    >>>
    >>> Everyone they had, had a listed Contrast Ratio (static) of 1,000 to 1
    >>>
    >>> Is this pretty much the "standard" for these sizes of monitors these
    >>> days ?
    >>>
    >>> If not, how important in the "viewing-experience" would it be to get a
    >>> better one ?
    >>> Recommendations ?
    >>>
    >>> Besides contrast ratio (static) and I guess the pixel size, what else
    >>> is really important in selecting one ?
    >>>

    >>Mean time between pixel failures and The minimum number of failed pixels
    >>for free replacement under warrenty.
    >>>
    >>> Who makes the "best" these days ?
    >>>

    >>Sony. As a *brand* name - *not* labelled with someone elses.

    > The Sony monitor I had broke down just after its warranty expired. I
    > now use DGM monitors which are as good as the Sony ever was and a
    > fraction of the price.

    Well if it works for you and you have no need for a decent warrenty or for
    more features, then fine. But it's *not* the best monitor. You got screwed
    with a "monday" monitor that you could have replaced under warrenty. If
    the warrenty expired, then you got a good long haul out of it didn't you?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 10, 2009
  9. Robert11

    XS11E Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > XS11E <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Robert11" <> wrote in

    >>> Sony. As a *brand* name - *not* labelled with someone elses.

    >> Sony was one I compared, it was much inferior to the Hyundai when
    >> changed to a non-optimum resolution.
    >>

    > And how much did you pay for each monitor and which models were they?

    Irrelevent.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Oct 10, 2009
  10. On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:16:59 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote in
    >
    >> The Sony monitor I had broke down just after its warranty expired. I
    >> now use DGM monitors which are as good as the Sony ever was and a
    >> fraction of the price.
    >>

    >Well if it works for you and you have no need for a decent warrenty or for
    >more features, then fine. But it's *not* the best monitor. You got screwed
    >with a "monday" monitor that you could have replaced under warrenty. If
    >the warrenty expired, then you got a good long haul out of it didn't you?

    I didn't get a good long haul as Sony were only doing a one year
    warranty on there monitors.

    I think Sony are overrated.

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Oct 11, 2009
  11. Robert11

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E, Oct 11, 2009
  12. Robert11

    > On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:16:59 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> The Sony monitor I had broke down just after its warranty expired. I
    >>> now use DGM monitors which are as good as the Sony ever was and a
    >>> fraction of the price.
    >>>

    >>Well if it works for you and you have no need for a decent warrenty or
    >>for more features, then fine. But it's *not* the best monitor. You got
    >>screwed with a "monday" monitor that you could have replaced under
    >>warrenty. If the warrenty expired, then you got a good long haul out of
    >>it didn't you?

    > I didn't get a good long haul as Sony were only doing a one year
    > warranty on there monitors.

    So you bought a cheap one.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 11, 2009
  13. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    XS11E <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >> XS11E <> wrote in

    >>> Sony was one I compared, it was much inferior to the Hyundai when
    >>> changed to a non-optimum resolution.
    >>>

    >> And how much did you pay for each monitor and which models were they?

    > Irrelevent.

    No, they are *precisely* the point.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 11, 2009
  14. Robert11

    XS11E Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > XS11E <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>> And how much did you pay for each monitor and which models were
    >>> they?

    >> Irrelevent.
    >>

    > No, they are *precisely* the point.

    No, your questions are completely irrelevent as previously pointed out.
    They only show you don't understand/havin't followed the thread.

    Maybe you ought to read my post BEFORE responding next time, OK?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Oct 11, 2009
  15. On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:44:57 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:16:59 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote in

    >>>Well if it works for you and you have no need for a decent warrenty or
    >>>for more features, then fine. But it's *not* the best monitor. You got
    >>>screwed with a "monday" monitor that you could have replaced under
    >>>warrenty. If the warrenty expired, then you got a good long haul out of
    >>>it didn't you?

    >> I didn't get a good long haul as Sony were only doing a one year
    >> warranty on there monitors.
    >>

    >So you bought a cheap one.

    It was very expensive when I bought it a few years ago. All LCD
    monitors were expensive but the Sony one was very expensive. I thought
    it would last for years but I was wrong.

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Oct 11, 2009
  16. Robert11

    PeeCee Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Was in Best Buy this AM looking at 19" and 20" 19:6 ratio PC Monitors.
    >
    > Everyone they had, had a listed Contrast Ratio (static) of 1,000 to 1
    >
    > Is this pretty much the "standard" for these sizes of monitors these days
    > ?
    >
    > If not, how important in the "viewing-experience" would it be to get a
    > better one ?
    > Recommendations ?
    >
    > Besides contrast ratio (static) and I guess the pixel size, what else is
    > really important in selecting one ?
    >
    > Might as well also ask: are the ones offered in these sizes by Dell
    > and/or HP pretty good, or should I go to
    > Amazon, or even Best Buy, to get one ?
    >
    > Hate to order one thru the mail without seeing the pix.
    >
    > Who makes the "best" these days ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Bob

    First of all discount all the 'budget' LCD's.
    (I'm thinking of the Supermarket brands here)
    Then remove the ones with standard (12 month) warranties
    ie you should be looking at 3yr warranties with no dead pixels & possibly
    onsite service.

    What you have left is the LCD models where the manufacturer has a commitment
    to reliability.
    From these you should be able to pick one that looks good to your eyes and
    rest easy knowing it should last for a few years.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 12, 2009