PC Memory Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Travis, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I'm at least considering upgrading the memory on my PC. Currently I
    have 384MB of Micron PC133 SDRAM. I have one 128MB chip and one 256MB
    chip.

    My motherboard is a Tyan 400 (S1854) which says it accepts up to 768
    MB of PC133 on three slots. I found this information here:
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/trinity400_spec.html

    What I'm worndering is if it would be wise to mix Micron memory and,
    say PNY memory. Is that wise or would that be a mistake?

    I am considering getting 512MB of PNY memory from Office Depot, which
    this Sunday, 7/20 was advertised at $69 after rebate.

    What do you all think of PNY memory? Is it good stuff? Also, how about
    K-Byte, which is also advertised this week by Best Buy and Office Max.
    I value your opinion on this as memory and memory manufacturers is
    something I am not well-versed on.

    Most importantly, I guess, is what do you think of mixing up different
    brands of memory? I have Micron now, would it be a mistake to mix it
    with PNY or K-Byte?

    Thanks everyone!
    Travis, Jul 20, 2003

  2. "Travis" <> wrote in message
    > I'm at least considering upgrading the memory on my PC. Currently I
    > have 384MB of Micron PC133 SDRAM. I have one 128MB chip and one 256MB
    > chip.
    >
    > My motherboard is a Tyan 400 (S1854) which says it accepts up to 768
    > MB of PC133 on three slots. I found this information here:
    > http://www.tyan.com/products/html/trinity400_spec.html
    >
    > What I'm worndering is if it would be wise to mix Micron memory and,
    > say PNY memory. Is that wise or would that be a mistake?
    >
    > I am considering getting 512MB of PNY memory from Office Depot, which
    > this Sunday, 7/20 was advertised at $69 after rebate.
    >
    > What do you all think of PNY memory? Is it good stuff? Also, how about
    > K-Byte, which is also advertised this week by Best Buy and Office Max.
    > I value your opinion on this as memory and memory manufacturers is
    > something I am not well-versed on.
    >
    > Most importantly, I guess, is what do you think of mixing up different
    > brands of memory? I have Micron now, would it be a mistake to mix it
    > with PNY or K-Byte?
    >
    > Thanks everyone!

    If as you say your motherboard accepts upto 768MB and has 3 slots I would assume
    that each slot can only take 256MB. Either buy 1 more 256MB making 640Mb or
    remove the existing 128MB and buy 2 new 256MB making 768MB.
    Steven Pilbeam, Jul 20, 2003

  3. "Travis" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:35:27 +0100, "Steven Pilbeam"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Travis" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm at least considering upgrading the memory on my PC. Currently I
    > >> have 384MB of Micron PC133 SDRAM. I have one 128MB chip and one 256MB
    > >> chip.
    > >>
    > >> My motherboard is a Tyan 400 (S1854) which says it accepts up to 768
    > >> MB of PC133 on three slots. I found this information here:
    > >> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/trinity400_spec.html
    > >>
    > >> What I'm worndering is if it would be wise to mix Micron memory and,
    > >> say PNY memory. Is that wise or would that be a mistake?
    > >>
    > >> I am considering getting 512MB of PNY memory from Office Depot, which
    > >> this Sunday, 7/20 was advertised at $69 after rebate.
    > >>
    > >> What do you all think of PNY memory? Is it good stuff? Also, how about
    > >> K-Byte, which is also advertised this week by Best Buy and Office Max.
    > >> I value your opinion on this as memory and memory manufacturers is
    > >> something I am not well-versed on.
    > >>
    > >> Most importantly, I guess, is what do you think of mixing up different
    > >> brands of memory? I have Micron now, would it be a mistake to mix it
    > >> with PNY or K-Byte?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks everyone!
    > >>

    > >If as you say your motherboard accepts upto 768MB and has 3 slots I would

    assume
    > >that each slot can only take 256MB. Either buy 1 more 256MB making 640Mb or
    > >remove the existing 128MB and buy 2 new 256MB making 768MB.
    > >

    > Is the mixing of different brands an issue of concern?

    In theory no but in practice.....who knows
    Steven Pilbeam, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Travis

    SgtMinor Guest

    If your OS is either Win 9* or ME, you may have a problem with more than
    512Mb of RAM:
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q253/9/12.asp&NoWebContent=1

    SgtMinor, Jul 20, 2003