    internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is there a
    program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
    password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

    Mr Wizzo, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Mr Wizzo

    *Vanguard* Guest

    Mr Wizzo said in news::
    > We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
    > installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
    > internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is
    > there a program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie
    > request a password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would
    > be appreciated

    Sounds like you want to run a kiosk.

    http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=+kiosk +software

    *Vanguard*, Jun 24, 2004

  3. "Mr Wizzo" <> wrote in message
    > We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
    > installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
    > internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is there a
    > program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
    > password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

    Is the sensitive data and Internet connection required by the customer?

    If (as I suspect) the answer is "no", you need to then ask yourself whether
    the data is worth to cost of a second PC.

    With USB "pen" drives, it may be quite easy for someone to add or remove
    what they like, even when you think you've got your eye on them. Speaking
    personally, for a couple of hundred quid, I wouldn't take the risk.

    HTH

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Mr Wizzo

    Martin Guest

    Mr Wizzo wrote:

    > We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
    > installed with products connected for customers to try.

    sounds like a potentially good feature

    >The pc has an
    > internet connection and may have sensative information stored.

    if you don't know, then get that PC offline and get a new one with just
    the information on you don't mind the whole world seeing. It's not that
    expensive.

    >Is there a
    > program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
    > password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

    A second PC would be easier and more secure. Probably cheaper too

    Martin, Jun 24, 2004
  5. Mr Wizzo

    Mr Wizzo Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Mr Wizzo wrote:
    >
    > > We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
    > > installed with products connected for customers to try.

    > sounds like a potentially good feature
    >
    > >The pc has an
    > > internet connection and may have sensative information stored.

    > if you don't know, then get that PC offline and get a new one with just
    > the information on you don't mind the whole world seeing. It's not that
    > expensive.
    >
    > >Is there a
    > > program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
    > > password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be

    appreciated

    > A second PC would be easier and more secure. Probably cheaper too

    Thanks for the suggestions, the problem with a second PC is that we simply
    dont want people trying the stuff in our store and then searching the web
    for the best prices. But there may also be price lists etc stored on there.
    I could just disconnect the pc from the network when were not using it but
    that would be a pain because the tower is in a locked cabinet.

    Mr Wizzo, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Mr Wizzo

    Bill Unruh Guest

    "Mr Wizzo" <> writes:

    ]"Martin" <> wrote in message
    ]news:cbfiek$c57$...
    ]> Mr Wizzo wrote:
    ]>
[...]

    ? But they can always do that-- unless you hold them up at gunpoint at the door and
    demand that they buy whatever they tried. (You try it , you buy it)
    If you are worried that the will use the same computer they tried it on to
    search the web, then that second computer with no internet connection would
    exactly solve that problem. The second computer is ONLY for customers
    trying stuff.
    ]I could just disconnect the pc from the network when were not using it but
    ]that would be a pain because the tower is in a locked cabinet.

    Just use a second computer that they try the stuff on and never have it
    connected to the web.

    Bill Unruh, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Mr Wizzo

    jo Guest

    Mr Wizzo wrote:

    >We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
    >installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
    >internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is there a
    >program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
    >password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

    There are loads of software solutions to your problem. Which might be
    best for you depends on the level of security you are looking for, and
    your operating system.

    You could p/w protect individual executables with, eg , Privateexe:

    http://www.winsite.com/tech/sysutil/page25.html

    PC Restrictor is interesting for a W9* system:

    http://www.winsite.com/tech/sysutil/page25.html

    I would suggest you look at ChildProof first. this is a nice app that
    replaces the desktop with a restricted one that has its own toolbar
    from which allowed apps can be launched. There are not many p/w
    options on it, but what casual user is going to find
    Ctrl+Alt+Shift+(letter)?

    http://www.anycities.com/user1/sonofspy/Security1.html

    You could set this to run as a screensaver, and launch it with a hot
    key...

    jo, Jun 25, 2004
  8. Mr Wizzo

    JT Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:02:35 +0100, "Mr Wizzo"
    <> wrote:

    >"Martin" <> wrote in message
    >> Mr Wizzo wrote:
    >>
    >> > We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
    >> > installed with products connected for customers to try.

    >> sounds like a potentially good feature
    >>
    >> >The pc has an
    >> > internet connection and may have sensative information stored.

    >> if you don't know, then get that PC offline and get a new one with just
    >> the information on you don't mind the whole world seeing. It's not that
    >> expensive.
    >>
    >> >Is there a
    >> > program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
    >> > password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be

    >appreciated
    >>
    >> A second PC would be easier and more secure. Probably cheaper too

    >Thanks for the suggestions, the problem with a second PC is that we simply
    >dont want people trying the stuff in our store and then searching the web
    >for the best prices. But there may also be price lists etc stored on there.
    >I could just disconnect the pc from the network when were not using it but
    >that would be a pain because the tower is in a locked cabinet.

    First off, you will never keep people from searching the web for a better
    price. You can keep them from doing it in the store, but they can still
    (and will) search when they leave.

    You should not have any sensitive information, including price lists, on a
    machine your customers use. Obviously, they will ge able to get to the
    information unless you do a tremendous amount of work. Also consider what
    happens to all that valuable, sensitive information when they wreck the
    machine. You will have customers that can break anything, even if not
    intentionally. Doesn't matter if the PC is locked in a vault.

    Don't have the machine connected to your work network. Isolate it and its
    internet connection. Especially important with XP Home (and Pro by default)
    using "simplified" networking and security.

    JT

    JT, Jun 27, 2004
  9. Mr Wizzo

    Code Dark Guest

    Mr Wizzo wrote:
    > We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
    > installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
    > internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is there a
    > program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
    > password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

    Well, I'd just simply do Winkey + L and not let the public do anything.
    It's much more secure that way.

    - CD

    Code Dark, Jul 6, 2004