    this happened to anyone else?

    Thanks

    jammin

    jammin, Dec 9, 2005

  2. jammin

    Dan Evans Guest

    "jammin" <> wrote in message
    news:dncmen$pph$2surf.net...

    > I'm not sure whether it is the PSU or motherboard that is at fault - has
    > this happened to anyone else?

    Check/replace PSU.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Dec 9, 2005

  3. jammin

    Fred Guest

    "jammin" <> wrote in message
    >I wonder if anyone can help.... My desktop PC has developed a problem
    >whereby it will not stay on any longer than a few minutes.
    >
    > it is a custom built PC, the only thing added recently was a USB 2 PCI
    > card which worked fine before. I have tried removing it but the same
    > problem occurs.
    >
    > I'm not sure whether it is the PSU or motherboard that is at fault - has
    > this happened to anyone else?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > jammin

    Check that the fan on the cpu is running ok and is not clogged up,and all
    cards are seated firmly and if possible try another psu?

    Fred, Dec 9, 2005
  4. jammin

    jammin Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "jammin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I wonder if anyone can help.... My desktop PC has developed a problem
    >>whereby it will not stay on any longer than a few minutes.
    >>
    >>it is a custom built PC, the only thing added recently was a USB 2 PCI
    >>card which worked fine before. I have tried removing it but the same
    >>problem occurs.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure whether it is the PSU or motherboard that is at fault - has
    >>this happened to anyone else?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>jammin

    > Check that the fan on the cpu is running ok and is not clogged up,and all
    > cards are seated firmly and if possible try another psu?

    thanks guys, i'll try and get a new psu this weekend.

    jammin, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Is it possible the pc battery is dying?

    Prickly peart, Dec 13, 2005
  6. jammin

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <dncpqm$qv8$2surf.net>, jammin
    <> writes
    >Fred wrote:
    >> "jammin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I wonder if anyone can help.... My desktop PC has developed a problem
    >>>whereby it will not stay on any longer than a few minutes.
    >>>
    >>>it is a custom built PC, the only thing added recently was a USB 2
    >>>PCI card which worked fine before. I have tried removing it but the
    >>>same problem occurs.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not sure whether it is the PSU or motherboard that is at fault -
    >>>has this happened to anyone else?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>jammin

    >> Check that the fan on the cpu is running ok and is not clogged
    >>up,and all cards are seated firmly and if possible try another psu?

    >thanks guys, i'll try and get a new psu this weekend.

    I had this.

    Before you delve inside, open Task Manager (Control - Alt - Delete), and
    look at Performance. You may find that the CPU usage is constantly at
    100%. If so, check Processes and see if there is something running that
    shouldn't be.

    If so, seek further advice. I'm not an expert! And I forget what my
    problem was.

    Ian.

    Ian Jackson, Dec 13, 2005
  7. jammin

    Plato Guest

    Prickly peart wrote:

    > Is it possible the pc battery is dying?

    Perhaps, but that's not a reason a pc would turn itself off.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 14, 2005
  8. jammin

    spiderrman Guest

    On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 19:37:57 +0000, jammin
    <> wrote:

    >I wonder if anyone can help.... My desktop PC has developed a problem
    >whereby it will not stay on any longer than a few minutes.
    >
    >it is a custom built PC, the only thing added recently was a USB 2 PCI
    >card which worked fine before. I have tried removing it but the same
    >problem occurs.
    >
    >I'm not sure whether it is the PSU or motherboard that is at fault - has
    >this happened to anyone else?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >jammin

    Two things I've seen that might be your problem:
    If you're running XP there was a recent update that hosed many PC's
    Worm or virus

    Spiderrman

    spiderrman, Dec 18, 2005