    suggestions as to what might be the cause of this?
    TIA.
    Geo.

    Champagne Charlie, May 19, 2004

  2. Champagne Charlie

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 03:39:34 +0100, "Champagne Charlie"
    <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >My PC has been shutting down for no apparent reason. The screen just goes
    >blank all of a sudden and it's like I hit the switch and turned it off then
    >on again...'but I didn't. It's doing it about every 15 minutes or so and
    >when I'm online with a couple of browser windows opened, and OE of course.
    >Then I see the blue ScanDisk program before the startup screen shows up. I
    >use Win XP Pro and my system is a 1.5Gz P4 with 128Mb Ram and a TNT2 32MB
    >card, 20Gig WD Drive, SoundBlaster card and 56K modem. Does anyone have any
    >suggestions as to what might be the cause of this?
    >TIA.
    >Geo.

    Two possibilities: virus, and "Restart on Failure"

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
    sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
    of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
    error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced

    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
    to open the Startup and Recovery window.

    In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
    failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
    Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
    a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch).

    But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    as to the underlying cause of the problem.

    If it's a virus:
    "This shutdown initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"
    If the error is about RPC, refer to the MSBlast section
    If the error is about lsass.exe, refer to the W32.Sasser section

    Restart the computer in the Safe Mode.
    After the Power On Self Test (POST), press and hold the F8 key.

    From the Safe Mode, click Start, Run. In the Run box, type
    "regedit" (without the quotes) and press enter.

    Navigate your way to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run

    In the right-hand pane, look for, and delete, any entry that might include:
    msblast.exe
    penis32.exe
    teekids.exe
    mspatch.exe
    mslaugh.exe
    enbiei.exe
    eschlp.exe
    svchosthlp.exe
    mschost.exe
    tftp.exe
    avserve.exe <---- See "W32.Sasser.Worm" section
    avserve2.exe <---- See "W32.Sasser.B.Worm" section

    You just disabled the worm from running at startup. Now, disable System
    Restore:
    Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, System
    Restore Settings, "System Restore" tab, and check the box. "Turn Off System
    Restore on all drives", click "Apply" and "OK".

    Now delete previous Restores:
    Click Start, Accessories, System tools, Disk Cleanup, "More Options" tab,
    "System Restore" section, "Clean up" button, click "Yes"

    W32.Blaster.Worm:
    Download the W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool, "FixBlast.exe" from Symantec.
    Info:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html
    File: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

    Save the file, "FixBlast.exe" to a folder, then double-click it to clean
    your system.

    Restart the computer in the normal mode, and Turn On System Restore on all
    drives.
    Download, and install the Microsoft MS03-026 patch:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&amp;displaylang=en

    W32.Sasser.Worm; or W32.Sasser.B.Worm
    Download the W32.Sasser.Worm Removal Tool, "FxSasser.exe" from Symantec.
    Info:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.removal.tool.html
    File: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxSasser.exe

    Save the file, "FxSasser.exe" to a folder, then double-click it to clean
    your system.

    Restart the computer in the normal mode, and Turn On System Restore on all
    drives.
    Download, and install the Microsoft MS04-011 patch:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=835732
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en

    The worm also removes a registory entry for the shutdown button in the start
    menu.
    To get it back, Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" (without
    the quotes) and
    press Enter. Navigate your way to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    Look in the right-hand window for the entry:
    "NoClose"=dword:00000001

    If the entry exists, change the "dword:00000001" to "dword:00000000"
    If it doesn't exist, create a new one.

    Invest in a decent firewall and antivirus program, and install ALL of
    Microsoft's security patches.
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 41 known viruses and trojans (including the new
    W32/Sasser.worm.e) and repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus
    installed on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Microsoft Download Center: Has several virus removal tools.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

    Unk, May 19, 2004

  3. Champagne Charlie

    jils Guest

    virus
    have you scanned with a current virus scanner?

    "Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:fKzqc.38757$...

    jils, May 19, 2004
  4. Champagne Charlie wrote:
    > My PC has been shutting down for no apparent reason. The screen just goes
    > blank all of a sudden and it's like I hit the switch and turned it off then
    > on again...'but I didn't. It's doing it about every 15 minutes or so and
    > when I'm online with a couple of browser windows opened, and OE of course.
    > Then I see the blue ScanDisk program before the startup screen shows up. I
    > use Win XP Pro and my system is a 1.5Gz P4 with 128Mb Ram and a TNT2 32MB
    > card, 20Gig WD Drive, SoundBlaster card and 56K modem. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions as to what might be the cause of this?
    > TIA.
    > Geo.

    Ever read about viruses, such as the Sasser virus? Look through some of
    the past posts to see ­­°Mike°'s advice on getting rid of it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 19, 2004